• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Whoops, she did it again!

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Quartz was growing in her beautiful tail feathers and now…. They’re gone again. Yes, her wings did get caught on it, but why would she just be removing her tail feathers? Is she getting annoyed with them? It’s not plucking as I know plucking to be. It’s just these ones. Any and all tail feathers. She’s got her rump feathers, but nothing for the flight feathers on her butt.

I’m gonna take her to the vet for this but first want a few opinions. If pictures are needed I’ll get those.

edit: thinking about it, I changed my entire flock to Harrison’s from roudybush? Should I switch her back?

Last edited:

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve heard of birds having adverse reactions to changing foods, especially to new foods with soy in them.

I would get blood work done at the vet to rule out any medical cause before changing her diet back though.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
She didn’t do this before the change over. I have fed many different foods and this seems to be only when I add the Harrison’s specifically to her bowl.

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’d say that may indicate that Harrison’s may not be suitable for her.
You could try giving her Roudybush again and see if she stops feather destruction.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I’m going to. Thinking of taking her to the vet too.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If the plucking is new and in a localised area I would definitely be seeing the vet to rule out injury or pain in the area.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I agree but this isn’t new to her. She just likes to pick on this spot. I’m looking into things I can do such as moving her to a separate cage with a cover on it, away from the other birds? She may have done this is response to the other birds laying eggs? She had a rather traumatic response to egg laying prior to this a few years ago. To the point she tried to kill the babies, her then mate, and even got me several times. Im still gonna take Quartz to the vet but I’m trying to isolate her causes and whys.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Before making any changes, go to the vet and consult with them. Additional changes may stress her more and make it worse.