• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who here has Ducks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Meredith
I have a pair of Muscovy hens, they are quiet and live outside

Muscovies are from South America and are known as the "Perching Duck" because they, unlike the Mallard based varieties, roost in trees
In Trees? I have 4 males, but they roost on the ground....and they have NO problem chasing off raccoons, which is just awesome! LOL! So is it just the females that roost in the trees? I'd never heard of that before. Just goes to show ya that you're never too old to learn something new. ;)
We also have a Canada goose and an Embden goose, plus 8 guinea keets, 14 laying hens, & 2 royal palm toms (father and son).

We did have about 16 ducks...Ancona and Rouen....as well as 2 mated pairs of African Dewlap geese. We have almost 20 acres here, and that many birds was TOO many, so we got rid of all the ducks and the Dewlaps. I couldn't say for sure exactly how much space one duck actually needs since ours were all free range. I love ducks though. :)

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
It is my understanding that they all are capable of roosting in trees - they have larger 'nails' on their feet for this purpose

The first night we had them, one of them flew up to the neighbors roof and spent the night there

My neighbors had the funniest look on their face when I had to go over there and tell them 'my duck was on their roof' :rofl:

I have a pair of hens but their wings are clipped and they roost in the goat house with the chickens and the goat

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
It is my understanding that they all are capable of roosting in trees - they have larger 'nails' on their feet for this purpose

The first night we had them, one of them flew up to the neighbors roof and spent the night there

My neighbors had the funniest look on their face when I had to go over there and tell them 'my duck was on their roof' :rofl:

I have a pair of hens but their wings are clipped and they roost in the goat house with the chickens and the goat
:rofl: That's AWESOME! I would have loved to see that look on their faces!
I have noticed the monster sized nails our boys have, but had no idea about the tree roosting thing. That's just cool!

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
It depends on the species, whether they can get enough lift to get up onto even a low branch. Mine can't.

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
not yet says i but if we move to that farm iv been eying a duck or 50 would be nice :hehe: no but i would love to get some runners and a pair of African geese

Teresa McKevitt

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Who here has ducks as a pet? How much space do they need? What kind of "stuff" is required for them? Do yours live indoors or out? Are they loud, mean, nice, snuggly, hands on, hands off... etc... anything you can think of that would be helpful.

NO I am NOT getting a duck right now. :D My 13 year old daughter absolutely loves them though and badly wants one. I am considering allowing it when we move (next 6 months or so.)
Hi there,

I have three ducks.I raised them when they just hatched and so they know our family well. They are very social creatures and very cuddly. We spent every minute with them for them to be this way. They do need space and a garden and water for swimming. I have 2 man-made ponds I bought from lowes. They also wear diapers in the house at night and sometimes in the day when they need to come in away from predators. They come when I whistle so I don't have to worry about chasing them in all the time. I have say they are work and you will definitely need dedication to them but they are wonderful family pets. :) Ducks are naturally social and will need another duck friend. I would get two to start with. Good luck!

Teresa

Status
Not open for further replies.