• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who has this growing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tattooedispatcher

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
SEA MONKEYS!

Sea-Monkeys®: What are they?

My 9 yr old nephew told me today when i called him to tell him happy bday that he got SEA MONKEYS and they ate bananas like the monkeys in the trees! :hehe: I had them several times growing up and actually saw movement in the fish bowl! Kinda makes me wanna get some more & see if i can get em to grow more than I did as a kid! LOL I just thought it was a hoot that he got sea monkeys. thought they died out with the 80s. LOL

http://www.sea-monkeys.com/html/aboutsm/whatarethey.html

Parrotlove

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Barbie
OMG I remember those lil guys lol. My Brother had them but none of them ever came to life. There was no movement or anything.. Let me know how your sons works out! Hug's Barbie and Isis

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
We had brine shrimp when I was a kid. Think it was for a science experiment. Not sure if it was the same type of brine shrimp as sea monkeys or not though.

tattooedispatcher

Real Name
Terri
We had brine shrimp when I was a kid. Think it was for a science experiment. Not sure if it was the same type of brine shrimp as sea monkeys or not though.

I was just reading about them, cos I had always wondered what they were and learned they were a type of shrimp! This may be something interesting to buy for my younger nieces n nephews for gifts.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a monkeys as a child. They have an extremely short lifespan. Never heard of feeding bananas though. Is that true?

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
Has anyone tried Triops? They look kinda like horseshoe crabs....

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I had sea monkeys when i was younger LOTS of times! We always had good luck with them - mine always got pretty big!

I want triops! LOL! those things are weird!

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
I had sea monkeys when i was younger LOTS of times! We always had good luck with them - mine always got pretty big!

I want triops! LOL! those things are weird!
they looked freaky and disgusting at first - kinda scary too - but then I was kinda mesmerized....lol

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Tanya - yeah they are kinda creepy but i like them! hahaha. WANT.

Jadie - how long did they live?

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
You know what!? I put in the triop eggs and everything (i didnt use distilled water or put a lamp on them or anything). After a week I didn't see anything:( So I put the tank in the sink in the basement and didn't bother with it and a couple weeks later I happened to look in and there was one swimming around! it looked like there were others and I was so angry I didn't look in there earlier! He lived for another couple weeks, it was huge and cool!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sea monkeys> I forgot about those. We had them when we were little, some of them got a pretty good size. I remember the "crystals" that you could grow too.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

rocabird

Real Name
dawn
I had a monkeys as a child. They have an extremely short lifespan. Never heard of feeding bananas though. Is that true?
They have banana flavored food! We were able to get them to live for quite awhile. I remember I would go through their little booklet and makes lists of everything I was going to order for them- all the food, the special tank and the sphere you could put one of the Sea Monkeys in to wear around your neck. What a nerd!

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
My sister and I did the sea monkey thing, too. Ours never got very big before dying though.

A couple years after we stopped with the sea monkeys, we were playing around in the forested area on our farm -- there is a small low area in there that collects rain water and turns swampy. My sister and I would "fish" in that swampy area with buckets. As it turns out, we found tons and tons of big brine shrimp living there! We'd scoop them up and feed them to our betta fish. Fun times LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.