• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who has rehome their birds

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Who has rehome their birds I am looking to create a support group for those of us that have rehome our birds I had to rehome Rocky and baby little general chamois due to my health I had to rehome Percy my Harvard due to changes in the city ordinance how do you cope if you do not want to post online you can PM me and work from PMs there is no shame in rehoming a bird

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
nearly 3 year ago I had to rehome a baby budgie we called Willow. He was the youngest of his clutch, this mom did attack him and he had lost the feathers on the back of his head so the breeder asked me to come and get him when he was 5 weeks old instead of the required 6, since his parents didn't take care of him anymore. I had 2 untame budgies already, and planned on taming Willow. We tried to quarantine but lived in a very small flat and they were calling each other, it was getting crazy so I let them out together.
Then the chaos began. Not only were my older birds teaching Willow to fly away from me and not listen to me, but Willow has also allaying with one of the birds against the other.
This was not working at all, so I decided to rehome Willow. First I put an ad but a guy contacted me, I looked him up on FB and he was creepy, all pictures of him were taken in dark rooms, he was posing with smoke and strong alcohol.. No way I would let my baby go to him!! I removed the ad and chose to look up for people myself. There was a lady looking for a blue budgie, mine was yellow but she looked like a nice person, living with her teen daughter, seemingly living regular lives. I contacted her, she still has Willow, who is now called Mio and has a friend called Twitter (which was the name of one of my birds who died in the Spring by the way).
She recently contacted me asking if I wanted to take him back since they got themselves a puppy who's jealous of the birds, but that was not an option for me to take in more birds (I remember the chaos, thanks...), she wasn't sure she wanted to let him go to someone else and will probably end up keeping him herself once the puppy is used to them being there.

There is no reason to be ashamed of rehoming a pet. Sometimes it is the best thing you can do for them if they are not happy with your other pets, or if you can't take care of them anymore. The only thing I have a problem with is when people rehome pets like they are things, and don't care a bit who is going to take them in. Sometimes Ia see ads like "bird to sell, cage follow, send SMS". you don't know anything about the bird, and the owners don't seem to care who you are either.. This is really sad, and I sure hope those people never take another pet into their home again.

Camsan

Meeting neighbors
I had to rehome our cockatoo and African grey to family members about 15+ years ago due to an extended hospital stay with my health where I was unable to care for them :(. Makes me sad every time I think about it and have lost touch with those family members so I always worry about how they are doing.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I have lost track of the birds that I rehome as well I know how much that hurts it bothers me too hugs I am fortunate that I have received updates on my heart bird my favorite Percy

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Are there any takers for the support group I have not received any PMs asking me to join in this will be taken down on January 31st 2020 if there are no takers is no shame and I thought it would be a healthy outlet for the sorrow

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'm interested but will have to get my act together first. Due to our moving from IL to FL in July I was forced to face the inevitable fact that I had to rehome 2/3s of my flock and am still heartbroken over it. I know that the woman who they went to will and has loved them and they have more space than they would have had if they'd been able to come with me. But some were elderly or handicapped and I don't know how or if they would've survived the move. At least the bonded pairs are still together but I still cry to myself about having surrendered them.

I haven't really posted about this on AA because I feel horrible for having given them away.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I Pm'd you! In 2012 i rehomed Hannah a female lovebird she attacked Baylee several times one time she almost took her finger thanks to been a vet assistant i knew what to do and stopped the bleeding fast and then took her to the vet 2 days later to make sure finger wasnt going to fell later on. Had begun antibiotics on her already just in case.
Hannah went to live with a woman that i know have always had birds. And the woman doesnt mind Hannah's wild nature. In 2 years she never let me touch her i could have kept her if she didnt attacked Baylee. But Baylee was so afraid of her that the first 3 months after i rehomed Hannah, Baylee would come out of her cage and look EVERYWHERE she was alert all the time... and Hannah didnt let her eat they spent 3 days together once. Due to stress Baylee got sick very often when Hannah was here. So i rehomed her because i strongly believes i was not a good match for her personality despite of working with her and target training during 2 years. All i ever managed was for Hannah to eat from my palm hand and bite my fingers all the time. She also was an egg layer... constantly laying eggs here. In her actual home nope. She is still wild of personality but not laying.
My poor baby girl (Baylee) had a form of PTSD. She spent 6 months or so not sure and like antsy. Waiting to be attacked again. Hannah used to dive bomb her too besides chasing her on the ground.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
With all the stress from Hannah... Baylee weighted 39 g vet thought that Baylee was very sick but when he placed food she ate like there was no tomorrow! He asked me all sorts of questions and then he said that Baylee had some form of PTSD that he had never heard about a bird with this. He send us home with a cream to put in Baylee's foot. No stitches were needed. He told me it was a good call from my part to give antibiotics to Baylee. Once the stress went away after 4 months Baylee's weight went from 39 to 42 g.

Lillybust

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pamela
nearly 3 year ago I had to rehome a baby budgie we called Willow. He was the youngest of his clutch, this mom did attack him and he had lost the feathers on the back of his head so the breeder asked me to come and get him when he was 5 weeks old instead of the required 6, since his parents didn't take care of him anymore. I had 2 untame budgies already, and planned on taming Willow. We tried to quarantine but lived in a very small flat and they were calling each other, it was getting crazy so I let them out together.
Then the chaos began. Not only were my older birds teaching Willow to fly away from me and not listen to me, but Willow has also allaying with one of the birds against the other.
This was not working at all, so I decided to rehome Willow. First I put an ad but a guy contacted me, I looked him up on FB and he was creepy, all pictures of him were taken in dark rooms, he was posing with smoke and strong alcohol.. No way I would let my baby go to him!! I removed the ad and chose to look up for people myself. There was a lady looking for a blue budgie, mine was yellow but she looked like a nice person, living with her teen daughter, seemingly living regular lives. I contacted her, she still has Willow, who is now called Mio and has a friend called Twitter (which was the name of one of my birds who died in the Spring by the way).
She recently contacted me asking if I wanted to take him back since they got themselves a puppy who's jealous of the birds, but that was not an option for me to take in more birds (I remember the chaos, thanks...), she wasn't sure she wanted to let him go to someone else and will probably end up keeping him herself once the puppy is used to them being there.

There is no reason to be ashamed of rehoming a pet. Sometimes it is the best thing you can do for them if they are not happy with your other pets, or if you can't take care of them anymore. The only thing I have a problem with is when people rehome pets like they are things, and don't care a bit who is going to take them in. Sometimes Ia see ads like "bird to sell, cage follow, send SMS". you don't know anything about the bird, and the owners don't seem to care who you are either.. This is really sad, and I sure hope those people never take another pet into their home again.
Ahhh. Poor baby.
I had to rehome my two parrotlets because my female sweet pea was from a rescue and was so cage aggressive I had to move them to clean their cage.. it just hit too exhausting.. took me hours to clean my two bird cages.. my lovebirds were so easy compared to the parrotlets.. I found someone who loves them so much.. but I was sooooo depressed! So my friend contacted me with a peachface lovebird who also had to be rehomed... I wasn’t going to get more birds, but I took in Milo ( he used to be Mork) about two weeks ago.. I’ve never had a peach face before and I just love him to death...

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
I had to rehome my two parrotlets because my female sweet pea was from a rescue and was so cage aggressive I had to move them to clean their cage.. it just hit too exhausting.. took me hours to clean my two bird cages.. my lovebirds were so easy compared to the parrotlets.. I found someone who loves them so much.. but I was sooooo depressed! So my friend contacted me with a peachface lovebird who also had to be rehomed... I wasn’t going to get more birds, but I took in Milo ( he used to be Mork) about two weeks ago.. I’ve never had a peach face before and I just love him to death...
It's so interesting you mention this, because I'm also finding the lovebird to be easy compared to the parrotlet!

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
I had to rehome my birds Kiwi, Reda and Stella. Reda and Stella were my cockatiels and the first birds I purchased on my own. When I got my IRN Kiwi, he took up so much of my time (I was 14 and irresponsible when I got him) and he hated them because of his attachment to me and jealousy. I found a very nice lady who bred doves and she kept me updated for a while before we lost touch. I kept Kiwi until I was 17 when I started doing the early college program and realized I would probably be going off to college. I didn't even wind up going and that was one of the most heartbreaking decisions of my life. I kept in contact with the people for a while and I know they got him a girlfriend named Olive and he was very happy. I cried for hours after they left and even typing this my heart aches still. When I was 18 and had decided I definitely wasn't going to college in person, I realized I didn't want to live my life without a bird in it and I adopted my peach fronted conure named Mango to hand raise. Then I wanted another IRN and bought Jellybean to hand raise. I haven't rehomed a parrot since then and I don't think I ever could, although I have taken in a couple fosters and helped them find new homes.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I haven't rehomed them yet, but I've been looking for a new home for my cockatiels for a while. It's hard. They're both older and Skyline has some minor special needs.
I don't want to get rid of them. I love them so, so much and it's been tearing me up inside and I'm afraid of the emotional crash I'll face when they're gone. But I'm really worried for the rest of my flock in terms of the boys' dust and have finally admitted that I can't keep fighting it. :sad1: I rescued Skyline in 2011 and simply didn't know not to mix old world and new world birds back then. That blissful ignorance has years since expired and the guilt has been growing ever since.

chuckylove

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
LLOYD
what a lovely idea and supportive, it’s heartwarming to read everyone’s loving words for their beloved birds, always in our hearts, they have such special energy

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
Back to add that I have recently rehomed a bird, and it ended up being an amazing experience. Coco was a parrotlet, sold to us as a male but I suspect he was actually a she, and we just weren't really jiving after six months together. Our lovebird, Lyric, was appearing to be a much better fit for our family and lifestyle so we opted to stick with lovebirds and look for a more suitable home for Coco.

I thought about it for ages, really, and finally gathered the courage to post a very honest and detailed account of her personality and behaviour on Kijiji. While I was willing to wait for the right home for her, within 24 hours the most wonderful person messaged me about her and we arranged to chat over the phone the next day. We had the loveliest talk, and it was abundantly clear he could offer her a superior home where she'd be his "one and only". When he realized I'd chosen him as her new home, he immediately made plans to pick her up (a 6 hour round trip!)... he was so excited to come and get her, I had no doubts about handing her over. I've since had photo and video updates - he is absolutely besotted with her and I couldn't be happier for them both! We agreed that if he ever changed his mind or could no longer care for her, I'd at least have first right of refusal to take her back again which has given me some peace of mind also.

I really think that rehoming needn't have all this negativity surrounding it, personally I've had a lot of guilt over it and society's view of rehoming animals and it needn't be the case. I've rehomed a horse in the past, who I no longer had as much time to spend with due to family considerations ... he went to a GREAT home at a beautiful facility that I can visit anytime I'd like (I mean, I cry in a most embarrassing fashion whenever I see him so it's definitely limited the number of times I've taken them up on that offer!). I've also rehomed a dog with anxiety (in the end, we were ALL truly miserable) .. that was a really tough one to be honest, but she was adopted by her foster family who were fully aware of her issues and she ended up having a much better quality of life with them, so that was a success too.

The one thing Coco's new owner appreciated the most was the time I put into summarizing who she was. He said her ad really stood out compared to all the other ads he'd been looking at that simply read, "Parrotlet" or "Cockatiel". Something I wrote about her resonated with him and he felt like it was clear she was coming from a loving home where she'd been well cared for. At the very least, he knew what he was getting into and that there weren't going to be any surprises.

As lovely as it would be for every pet and new owner to mesh perfectly and for there to be no behavioural issues or life changes, at all, ever, it's not realistic to expect that every pet will find their "forever home" the first time around. Let's be honest, not all birds have the personality to make them good companion animals, and may be better off as breeders left to their own devices or in a home where there are fewer expectations (e.g. handling) in place. I think we're too hard on ourselves when it comes to this "forever home" business, honestly. Most of us, as responsible and educated pet owners, are doing our best .. and that's all we can really do!

chuckylove

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
LLOYD
Back to add that I have recently rehomed a bird, and it ended up being an amazing experience. Coco was a parrotlet, sold to us as a male but I suspect he was actually a she, and we just weren't really jiving after six months together. Our lovebird, Lyric, was appearing to be a much better fit for our family and lifestyle so we opted to stick with lovebirds and look for a more suitable home for Coco.

I thought about it for ages, really, and finally gathered the courage to post a very honest and detailed account of her personality and behaviour on Kijiji. While I was willing to wait for the right home for her, within 24 hours the most wonderful person messaged me about her and we arranged to chat over the phone the next day. We had the loveliest talk, and it was abundantly clear he could offer her a superior home where she'd be his "one and only". When he realized I'd chosen him as her new home, he immediately made plans to pick her up (a 6 hour round trip!)... he was so excited to come and get her, I had no doubts about handing her over. I've since had photo and video updates - he is absolutely besotted with her and I couldn't be happier for them both! We agreed that if he ever changed his mind or could no longer care for her, I'd at least have first right of refusal to take her back again which has given me some peace of mind also.

I really think that rehoming needn't have all this negativity surrounding it, personally I've had a lot of guilt over it and society's view of rehoming animals and it needn't be the case. I've rehomed a horse in the past, who I no longer had as much time to spend with due to family considerations ... he went to a GREAT home at a beautiful facility that I can visit anytime I'd like (I mean, I cry in a most embarrassing fashion whenever I see him so it's definitely limited the number of times I've taken them up on that offer!). I've also rehomed a dog with anxiety (in the end, we were ALL truly miserable) .. that was a really tough one to be honest, but she was adopted by her foster family who were fully aware of her issues and she ended up having a much better quality of life with them, so that was a success too.

The one thing Coco's new owner appreciated the most was the time I put into summarizing who she was. He said her ad really stood out compared to all the other ads he'd been looking at that simply read, "Parrotlet" or "Cockatiel". Something I wrote about her resonated with him and he felt like it was clear she was coming from a loving home where she'd been well cared for. At the very least, he knew what he was getting into and that there weren't going to be any surprises.

As lovely as it would be for every pet and new owner to mesh perfectly and for there to be no behavioural issues or life changes, at all, ever, it's not realistic to expect that every pet will find their "forever home" the first time around. Let's be honest, not all birds have the personality to make them good companion animals, and may be better off as breeders left to their own devices or in a home where there are fewer expectations (e.g. handling) in place. I think we're too hard on ourselves when it comes to this "forever home" business, honestly. Most of us, as responsible and educated pet owners, are doing our best .. and that's all we can really do!
such an eloquent and uplifting repsonse, sure to help alleviate anyone’s guilt about rehoming, very well said.. it certainly has helped allay some of my own, and reaffirm what I already knew deep down and neede dsomeone else to say