• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who has more than one bird..? Help!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I love this post.... I really do. Your experiences with multiple birds (especially the two coincidentally specific species of bird that I now have) are super informative to me and I can't thank you enough for sharing them. I am SO so excited, my wife and I both are, to bring home Oliver.. We have already bought him a very expensive custom manzanita tree.. And sectioned of a little area of a separate room for his 'quarantine area', we literally can't wait.
I really do think everything will work out fine... I am slowly but surely losing some of the stress and anxiety I have about bringing another bird home, mostly thinking of Emma.. And I think that as other members of the forum have suggested I do intend to create some sort of 'sections' or room divider or some type of thing in the same room.. At least to start, so that when they are both out free on their play stands and I am not literally in the room, at the very least I will have piece of mind. While they are both in their respective cages I don't intend to use the barrier.
Are you CAG's great fliers? Oliver is getting so good and I mean he is literally still a VERY young baby.. Emma is such a perch potato it's ridiculous lol
I literally think you have to go with the flow!:) That's what I've found over the years but I totally understand where you're at now. Tuchis TAG was my first bird as an adult. I met him at 4 weeks of age and had to wait for him to wean. I brought him home and then decided two months later to bring home Reggie D2, a bird I met in a pet store whom I fell in love with while waiting for Tuchis to wean. They were arch enemies from the very beginning!:) Let me see if I can find the classic picture I got from them about two months into their courtship!

problemchild[1].jpg

What I thought I was getting a picture of was them being good...what I really got of them was this! Here's another picture of them that I LOVE taken at least ten years later:

DSC02724.JPG

Tuchis at his sweetest!:) They still don't like each other but they can be out together. Reggie now has no feathers...he had a bout with zinc toxicity and likes to parade around in his jammies now.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is just go with it and supervise and be ready for the ride of your life. Each bird is an individual and they change as they grow too. Here's another picture of Tuchis and Kishka when Kishka was just a baby and Tuchis was about nine. I think the reason they get along so well now is that Kishka didn't take any crap from Tuchis right from the beginning!:)

DSC02214.JPG

As for my greys, Tuchis is an incredible flyer but my CAGs not so much. Aspen doesn't have the muscle build up for it and Clancy has a broken wing. We just added a new CAG to the mix in hopes that she will make friends with Clancy because he desperately wants to be friends with Aspen but Aspen freaks whenever Clancy gets near him. He has no problems with the Amazons but put a CAG near him and he throws himself to the floor and screams like someone is killing him! So, Smokey recently joined the family. She's fiesty and so far, she just lives in the cage next to Clancy. She can fly but isn't very good at it. We are bonding and she burps at me every time I pass her cage and pet her! She's a known biter, so we have to be careful with her but I think I'm making headway...slowly. I really want to introduce her to Clancy but I want to take it slow too because Clancy is a nervous boy!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Oh, here's a cute Ekkie - Timneh story! When I first got Cooper's first biological brother, Taco. He and Taco kind of got along and had a little pact. Taco would preen Tuchis and Tuchis would then try to feed Taco. Tuchis was never very good at regurgitating though but he would try and that's all that was important to Taco. This went on for about a month until one day, right after I had given Tuchis an almond and Taco came over and preened Tuchis and then Tuchis tried to regurgitate for Taco but this time, the almond came up because he had just eaten it and he was incredibly surprised and then he wasn't so sure he wanted to share! And then he decided not to share and ate it again! Boy did that steem Taco something good! The relationship was never the same after that! Taco never preened Tuchis again and Tuchis went back to picking on the Green boys. Well, one day, the Green boys decided to seek a bit of fun revenge and I found Tuchis trapped in his cage with the two Ekkie brothers sitting on the porch door blocking the only way out!:) I shooed them away and rescued the little grey snot, but I couldn't blame them for ganging up on him!:)

Barnaby Rose

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barnaby
Oh, here's a cute Ekkie - Timneh story! When I first got Cooper's first biological brother, Taco. He and Taco kind of got along and had a little pact. Taco would preen Tuchis and Tuchis would then try to feed Taco. Tuchis was never very good at regurgitating though but he would try and that's all that was important to Taco. This went on for about a month until one day, right after I had given Tuchis an almond and Taco came over and preened Tuchis and then Tuchis tried to regurgitate for Taco but this time, the almond came up because he had just eaten it and he was incredibly surprised and then he wasn't so sure he wanted to share! And then he decided not to share and ate it again! Boy did that steem Taco something good! The relationship was never the same after that! Taco never preened Tuchis again and Tuchis went back to picking on the Green boys. Well, one day, the Green boys decided to seek a bit of fun revenge and I found Tuchis trapped in his cage with the two Ekkie brothers sitting on the porch door blocking the only way out!:) I shooed them away and rescued the little grey snot, but I couldn't blame them for ganging up on him!:)
LOL that is like the best story I have ever heard..... Man I hope Emma tolerates Oliver just as much as she has to at the very least.. I will be so upset if they are out to kill each other from the jump :/
I will still love them both equally however of course.. ;)
I went and bought Oliver's cage today.. It's a HUGE cage, same size as Emma's to hopefully cut back on jealously and etc.. Their manzanita trees are going to be very similar, even most of their toys I am hoping. I am working very hard to make this work in case you can't tell ;)