• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who has awesome set ups?

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
They are my Australian Red Rump Grass Parakeets .
Chipper the Male is a Opaleine Mutation, Pearl Girl is a Blue Mutation.
Heres a better picture of their coloration

View attachment 394741
OMG, they are lovely!

I have to admit when I saw the charcoal (Pearl Girl? I'm hopeless at which mutation is which) I thought for sure you had a Bourke's with unusual coloring. The shape of the head and they body carriage look so much like mine.

I love the way everyone's just enjoying hanging out and look so happy.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
OMG, they are lovely!

I have to admit when I saw the charcoal (Pearl Girl? I'm hopeless at which mutation is which) I thought for sure you had a Bourke's with unusual coloring. The shape of the head and they body carriage look so much like mine.

I love the way everyone's just enjoying hanging out and look so happy.
I love the Rosie Bourks.
Yes they are about the same size.
The Bourks Grasskeets are certainly Beautiful and temperament wise, more docile generally.
I actually wanted to get a pair of Bourks.
I have to curb my wants, it's just to much to take care of so many ,
and give the quality time,care and funds.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They're absolutely gorgeous! Too bad that photo isn't landscape - would've made a great calendar contest entry!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would like to nominate if thats the right word @flyzipper for feathered estates as he has a diverse flock and his home is somewhat interesting :faint: it would be great to what he has created to keep his flock out and about together..

Sorry Steve

I love this part of the forum i read it over and over as i think there is always something we can do to improve our birds enviroment and we can take possibly take something from each article large or small.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nightmare was gonna edit my mistakes :nocomment: be great to see what he has created it should have read

and we can take possibly take should not have the first take :nocomment:

Hate this cant edit after 10 mins i got distracted

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Nightmare was gonna edit my mistakes :nocomment: be great to see what he has created it should have read

and we can take possibly take should not have the first take :nocomment:

Hate this cant edit after 10 mins i got distracted
If it makes a serious difference to how your post comes across then just message a moderator and ask for them to alter your post- In this case it reads fine.

The 10 minute editing window gives enough time to check your post and make corrections.
There is honestly nothing worse than trying to follow a thread with comments and answers to a post that since got altered and now leaves the rest of the thread making no sense.

I am on another small forum (nothing to do with birds) where someone made a post asking for help regarding a certain matter and got a heap of support, suggestions and helpful answers, then the next day they altered their post to almost nothing... now the whole thread makes literally no sense and is certainly of no help to others in the same situation who are looking for information or help- that is a good reason to not allow editing past a short time frame- we want this forum to read well, be helpful to others and for that to happen the comments need to make sense to the original post.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I would like to nominate... @flyzipper for feathered estates... Sorry Steve
That's ok Wardy... I used to like you... and may yet again in the future ;)

I don't have any great shots, but these should give you an idea of the setup.

You've probably seen the photos/videos I've posted of the larger upstairs space where we hang out, but here's the ground floor where they each have their own spaces to play on during the day. Jericho and Marvin have cages in another room where they sleep, while Oscar sleeps on his hanging branches.

They tend to (mostly) respect each other's space, but Marvin flies wherever she wants, and Oscar flies around everywhere while the rest of us are sleeping when he thinks we should wake up. Jericho generally keeps to himself unless I'm giving one of the others too much attention. This works well for my mixed flock while I'm around to supervise, but Jericho spends time upstairs on his own for short times when I'm not.

I really like being able to suspend things from the ceiling and clipping things in and out, so I'll likely continue that after renovations complete by using something like this (I'm planning to move us all upstairs and the ground floor will be used for something else).

Happy to answer any questions.

Daytime bird wall (Oscar > Jericho > Marvin)...
PXL_20220105_005532545 (Medium).jpg

Jericho's space on the left and Marvin's on the right...
PXL_20210416_180311056 (Medium).jpg

Oscar's alternate setup when his cage is in their bedroom (he's only been in it a handful of times over the past year and a half)...
PXL_20210320_004013209 (Medium).jpg

Opposite side of the room near the kitchen where most of the food and water is offered (handy roll of kraft paper on the right)...
PXL_20220105_005939723 (Medium).jpg

Marvin and Jericho's sleeping cages (with some extra toy inventory and perches to swap out)...
PXL_20220312_025556342.MP (Medium).jpg

The unused cage wall with a triple-stack I've used in the past, and Oscar's double-wide when it's (usually) out of the way...
PXL_20220312_025613320 (Medium).jpg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

You've probably seen the photos/videos I've posted of the larger upstairs space where we hang out, but here's the ground floor where they each have their own spaces to play on during the day. Jericho and Marvin have cages in another room where they sleep, while Oscar sleeps on his hanging branches.

They tend to (mostly) respect each other's space, but Marvin flies wherever she wants, and Oscar flies around everywhere while the rest of us are sleeping when he thinks we should wake up. Jericho generally keeps to himself unless I'm giving one of the others too much attention. This works well for my mixed flock while I'm around to supervise, but Jericho spends time upstairs on his own for short times when I'm not.

I really like being able to suspend things from the ceiling and clipping things in and out, so I'll likely continue that after renovations complete by using something like this (I'm planning to move us all upstairs and the ground floor will be used for something else).

View attachment 404340

View attachment 404341

Oscar's alternate setup when his cage is in their bedroom (he's only been in it a handful of times over the past year and a half)...
View attachment 404342

Opposite side of the room near the kitchen where most of the food and water is offered (handy roll of kraft paper on the right)...
View attachment 404343

Marvin and Jericho's sleeping cages (with some extra toy inventory and perches to swap out)...
View attachment 404345

The unused cage wall with a triple-stack I've used in the past, and Oscar's double-wide when it's (usually) out of the way...
View attachment 404346
Nice one Steve great to see how you have set things up to keep your flock happy. Such a good space ( large ) for birds.
When are you planning on moving the birds upstairs ? Is there much difference space wise ?

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
When are you planning on moving the birds upstairs ? Is there much difference space wise ?
This human is moving up there too, but I'm not sure about timing other than, "after renovations" :)

Upstairs is larger because it's more open and I will preserve much of that. The ceilings are significantly higher as well, at 26ft.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@flyzipper That is a fantastic set up! :yes4:

For a longer term goal I may replace the mineral fiber ceiling at least near the suspended toys. I am not saying your birdos would chew it, but if they ever did it could be dangerous. You could probably replace them with untreated ply panels cut to size.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
For a longer term goal I may replace the mineral fiber ceiling at least near the suspended toys. I am not saying your birdos would chew it, but if they ever did it could be dangerous. You could probably replace them with untreated ply panels cut to size.
Thank you, and agreed, I'm keeping an eye on it.
In the medium term, that entire space will be gutted, and the ceiling upstairs isn't suspended.

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran

View attachment 404340

View attachment 404341

View attachment 404342

View attachment 404343

View attachment 404345

View attachment 404346
Yes, one of the owners passed away a few years ago and they closed
Can ask where you got Marvin’s & Oscar’s hanging play gyms?

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Can ask where you got Marvin’s & Oscar’s hanging play gyms?
Marvin's began its life as a standard commercial java tree. It originally came as they all do, with a trunk attached to a rolling base. It has a prominent centre that the branches radiate from, so it lent itself to simply attaching and eye ring to the top so it could be hung. So the advice here would be to simply keep an eye out for a java tree that could be balanced on an eye ring -- super easy.

Oscar's is from a local gentleman who prunes trees at an organic apple farm and turns them into hanging play stands. I've combined two different play stands to make a larger play area. The advice here is to find a local source for fresh bird-safe branch cuttings and just get creative with how you combine them -- also fairly easy.

For a larger piece, I've been saving branches from trees on my property. The only issue might be finding an arborist who has the ability (and willingness) to boil or bake the wood before it's used indoors for my birds. I know there are other ways to make the wood safe, but I prefer those methods.

Both use stainless steel fasteners and the suspension rods are simply 1" dowels cut to the right length with eye rings inserted into each end.

Let me know if something isn't clear.

mandymmr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Marvin's began its life as a standard commercial java tree. It originally came as they all do, with a trunk attached to a rolling base. It has a prominent centre that the branches radiate from, so it lent itself to simply attaching and eye ring to the top so it could be hung. So the advice here would be to simply keep an eye out for a java tree that could be balanced on an eye ring -- super easy.

Oscar's is from a local gentleman who prunes trees at an organic apple farm and turns them into hanging play stands. I've combined two different play stands to make a larger play area. The advice here is to find a local source for fresh bird-safe branch cuttings and just get creative with how you combine them -- also fairly easy.

For a larger piece, I've been saving branches from trees on my property. The only issue might be finding an arborist who has the ability (and willingness) to boil or bake the wood before it's used indoors for my birds. I know there are other ways to make the wood safe, but I prefer those methods.

Both use stainless steel fasteners and the suspension rods are simply 1" dowels cut to the right length with eye rings inserted into each end.

Let me know if something isn't clear.
Does the guy who did Oscar’s do pieces for other people or online?
Was Marvin’s a small Java tree? I have an African Grey

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Does the guy who did Oscar’s do pieces for other people or online?
This is their site with contact info... https://craftedtreeproducts.ca/

Was Marvin’s a small Java tree? I have an African Grey
It was purchased a while ago, but I'm pretty sure it was considered medium (made slightly smaller when I trimmed lower poop-target branches).
Even though it's primarily Marvin's the other two sometimes land and perch there.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I love the hanging feature and all of the open space.