• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who has a Crimson Bellied Conure?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey y’all I’ve read all the old threads I can find but they are a little on the older side so I was wondering if this would spark some interest to get a convo going again :)
I’m current awaiting my own boy and it’s been about 12 years in the making so I am very excited. Mostly I’d just love to hear all about your babies especially whats it’s like living with them and their personalities.
Bonus points if you have or have had Green Cheek Conures as well while having a Crimson or at separate times. I’d just really love to hear the differences you’ve noticed between the species good or bad ;)
I’d absolutely love to see pics and cage set ups as well.
Thanks so much everyone @Mockinbirdiva @camelotshadow

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Hope you get a response from someone who has a crimson soon, congratulations on your future bird!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Congrats. Birds are individuals & even Crimsons are not defined by species.

Rio is pretty quiet. but have heard many are not. Rio is a couch potato not at all like a GCC who are energizerred bunnies.

Rio does not like hands & won't step up. Alot of it is how they were raised.

They sure are stunning though with that big red stout belly. I think they are on the whole bigger than most GCC's.

Rio doesn't talk. Rio doesn;t do much of anything but he does hang on one leg when I ask to him by clapping.
He seems to know I like that & will do it to get attention.

I do think for the most part they are different than GCC's but they will all vary depending upon rearing & socialization.

I really don't think you can generalize. Just get to know about your bird & enjoy them.

Good Luck

Rio playtop P1180714 red.jpg

Rio hanging P1000751.jpg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Birds are individuals & even Crimsons are not defined by species.

Rio is pretty quiet. but have heard many are not. Rio is a couch potato not at all like a GCC who are energizerred bunnies.

Rio does not like hands & won't step up. Alot of it is how they were raised.

They sure are stunning though with that big red stout belly. I think they are on the whole bigger than most GCC's.

Rio doesn't talk. Rio doesn;t do much of anything but he does hang on one leg when I ask to him by clapping.
He seems to know I like that & will do it to get attention.

I do think for the most part they are different than GCC's but they will all vary depending upon rearing & socialization.

I really don't think you can generalize. Just get to know about your bird & enjoy them.

Good Luck

View attachment 392917

View attachment 392927
Thanks so much for the info! I've read all I can about them on various sites and forum threads but nothing beats a current convo about them :heart: ,I always love to hear more I cant get enough,lol.
I've primary had Green Cheeks over the last 15 years but I know every birdie is an individual and doesn't always adhere to the species standard. My last Greenie Zazu was that way she was loud! I know noise tolerance depends on the person but man some of her sounds were just like nails on a chalkboard. Were as Nala was the textbook quiet Greenie barely made a peep and even her alarm call wasn't all that bad. I admit I do hope that he will be on the quieter side but no matter what I'm going to love him so much,12 years is a long time to wait for a dream to happen.
Rio was a rehome correct? I've been gone from the forum for a bit but I remember you talking about how he wasn't wanting to step up or interact too much.
I wonder what happened to him to make him so scared of hands,bless his little heart. Does he play with toys at all? I know you said he was a perch potato.
How old is he thought or known to be now?
Oh my gosh those pictures are so stunning! He is such a handsome boy and that one of him hanging is just so delightful you should totally frame it on the wall,lol.
Thank you so so much for your reply,you were the first person I thought of when I came back to AA and wanted to start this thread!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Rio came from TX. His parents once belonged to the bird Lady. She sold the pair to someone who bred Rio.
Rio was sold or given up by a man who had at least 8 birds free flight in a bird room. One of whom was a Meyers who the Bird Lady also took to sell/rehome.
Rio was about 1 1/2 years old & I guess handfed but not socialized much. The bird Lady tried to work with him & hd to grab him.
Once he was out he was Ok being held. I tried a bit but in the end I thought if he is just does not comfortable with hands to just let him be.

Rio flew out in the winter of Nov 2104 a day or two before Thanksgiving. It was so stressful as he had to change a few planes in CO & San Francisco. He made it safely to Burbank though where I went to the airport via 2 or 3 buses & then took him home by shuttle close to 10 or 11PM> It was a long day for both of us.

I wanted a baby I could snuggle with but finding one was a nightmare & I had many problems & disappointments trying to find a crimson belly leading up to my decision to take a chance on Rio.

I guess Rio is about 7 or 8 years now & about 5-6 in those photos. Rio is open banded in stainless steel. I guess they missed the window to band him so he has a pretty cool SS bracelet..:cool:

Rio is not much for toys. He does ring his stainless bells at times & used to be fond of leather toys.
Now he like to get under the paper on the bottom of the cage & hide.

He's also not a big food junky or treat monger but he loves his daily nibbles of apple.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rio came from TX. His parents once belonged to the bird Lady. She sold the pair to someone who bred Rio.
Rio was sold or given up by a man who had at least 8 birds free flight in a bird room. One of whom was a Meyers who the Bird Lady also took to sell/rehome.
Rio was about 1 1/2 years old & I guess handfed but not socialized much. The bird Lady tried to work with him & hd to grab him.
Once he was out he was Ok being held. I tried a bit but in the end I thought if he is just does not comfortable with hands to just let him be.

Rio flew out in the winter of Nov 2104 a day or two before Thanksgiving. It was so stressful as he had to change a few planes in CO & San Francisco. He made it safely to Burbank though where I went to the airport via 2 or 3 buses & then took him home by shuttle close to 10 or 11PM> It was a long day for both of us.

I wanted a baby I could snuggle with but finding one was a nightmare & I had many problems & disappointments trying to find a crimson belly leading up to my decision to take a chance on Rio.

I guess Rio is about 7 or 8 years now & about 5-6 in those photos. Rio is open banded in stainless steel. I guess they missed the window to band him so he has a pretty cool SS bracelet..:cool:

Rio is not much for toys. He does ring his stainless bells at times & used to be fond of leather toys.
Now he like to get under the paper on the bottom of the cage & hide.

He's also not a big food junky or treat monger but he loves his daily nibbles of apple.
Aw he's a Texas boy. Oh wow sounds like he's certainly had a colorful life to say the least,no wonder if that lady kept grabbing at him that he hated hands.
Zazu my CTGCC that recently passed was a pet store baby and was in an open tank type cage and just anyone could reach in unfortunately and so she did have a slight hand phobia even though I got her at 3 months and she passed a mere 3 years later she would still panic at times if I moved my hands to fast. She had no problem stepping up from the get go but it was the motion of the hand coming near that would still make her nervous from time to time. But I always went super slow with her and worked at her pace. Luckily she was never aggressive about it she'd just freeze and not step up or run away for a min or so than be back to normal.
Oh gosh that's a long stressful day for sure shipping is always such a gamble on what's gonna happen with how many plane changes ect so glad he and you both were ok after your long adventure that day.
Its "Funny" you should say that I went through the same issue of breeders not replying or replying once than vanishing so I thought it was never gonna happen. I'm still nervous about getting him but I'm always worried and paranoid about most things in life so its not that unusual for me to feel this way. But once I have him safely with me Ill finally be able to breath. I've never gotten a bird from a breeder let alone one that I didn't find locally so its stressful for sure.
He certainly sounds like a low key and chill little guy he's so lucky to have you but I really am sorry that he wasn't the snuggly kiddo you'd hoped for.

I yearn for that as well,I know that's a tad "unfair" since a lot of birds just aren't that way and you never know what your going to get so I shouldn't place unfair expectations on who he's gonna be. But Nala was the ultimate snuggle bug from day one and for 11 years she loved nothing more than to snuggle with me in anyway she could. She'd fall asleep on her back in my hand or even on my chest,she'd lay down next to my arm or hand and sleep so peacefully trusting me to protect her. I miss that so much that it hurts at times.
Zazu was cuddly every once in awhile but even as a baby she was extremely independent and more into exploring and coming to sit near me or on my leg but never deep cuddling and sleeping on me that Nala did and I admit I missed it so much.
Hmm I wonder if he was just never taught to play with toys his previous life. I had to teach both Nala and Zazu to play and was able to turn them both into toy killing machines even thicker pine by the time they both died so I'm hoping Ill be lucky a third time with Tobias.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looking forward to folllowing your journey april

Have just read the thread through and the breeder i got KiKI from had problems getting her back in the cage in the aviary so had to grab her to put her back into the cage ( i dont doubt his experience or the that he felt the need to do this ) she was an still is to a degree still very hand nervous but she is now stepping up on occasion sometimes i need to just offer her a perch.
Before she does step up though i recieve one hell of a bite i dont believe this is aggression more a test a can i trust you bit only ever pnce bite then she is onside my thoughts if i didnt have Mojo who is climbing all over me on my fingers kissing me and well being Mojo KiKi would be very much a hands off bird.
She isnt completely hand tame but on her way i think.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Mostly just bad luck or fate but every bird I was interested in before Rio fell thru at the end.
Someone decided to keep one who later died. The brother of the one who died was sold from under me as she took the paypal she said I could not use & wanted a money order so that lost me time & that bird but who knows how healthy that clutch was as the brother died before a years old. Then there was the only crimson bellied left from a breeder in FL. He really seemed stunted. Was so small & she said he'd catch up but he just did not look good to me. He was raised from an egg so maybe he would but he just seemed so far behind a bird for his age & his siblings spoken for were so nice & healthy looking. I could not make up my mind & "asked" to many questions. The breeder decided she did not want to sell him to me anyway so that helped me make up my mind. Then I found Rio who was called Precious at the time from the Bird Lady in TX. She was very good with him & just was trying to train him guess but she had to grab him to get him out of the cage. When he was out he was gentle. I figured least he does not bite & she said he was quiet so that ticked off 2 boxes. Can;t always get cuddly...

Rio used to sleep on the sode pf the cage until I got him a platfrom perch. He loves that thing. He does still sleep on it at times but he;s gone back to hanging on the side of the cage again. Not sure why as it must be uncomfortable.

Rio eating his apple in bed
Eatingin bed P1170385.jpg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mostly just bad luck or fate but every bird I was interested in before Rio fell thru at the end.
Someone decided to keep one who later died. The brother of the one who died was sold from under me as she took the paypal she said I could not use & wanted a money order so that lost me time & that bird but who knows how healthy that clutch was as the brother died before a years old. Then there was the only crimson bellied left from a breeder in FL. He really seemed stunted. Was so small & she said he'd catch up but he just did not look good to me. He was raised from an egg so maybe he would but he just seemed so far behind a bird for his age & his siblings spoken for were so nice & healthy looking. I could not make up my mind & "asked" to many questions. The breeder decided she did not want to sell him to me anyway so that helped me make up my mind. Then I found Rio who was called Precious at the time from the Bird Lady in TX. She was very good with him & just was trying to train him guess but she had to grab him to get him out of the cage. When he was out he was gentle. I figured least he does not bite & she said he was quiet so that ticked off 2 boxes. Can;t always get cuddly...

Rio used to sleep on the sode pf the cage until I got him a platfrom perch. He loves that thing. He does still sleep on it at times but he;s gone back to hanging on the side of the cage again. Not sure why as it must be uncomfortable.

Rio eating his apple in bed
View attachment 392974
Oh my goodness you really did go through a lot to get Rio such a long journey. But he was absolutely meant to be with you,I believe that :heart: . Aww look at him so cutely eating his apple chunk. I wonder what Tobias will end up doing to sleep. Nala slept on a straight perch that was the highest under her fish toy her entire life and Zazu slept on her big platform perch under various different toys because she would always destroy them were as Nala hardly chewed her sleepy fish she knew he was special.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
First night!!!! Hope you don't have anther bat bird...:rofl:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First night!!!! Hope you don't have anther bat bird...:rofl:
I just came out and when I turned on the light he was sleeping on his food bowl. Definitely glad I remembered to empty the food and water bowls before hand. I suddenly envisioned him having a night fright and toppling into his water bowl and well bad things happening. So glad I did that. Hopefully he's eventually gonna chose a perch but Id rather his bowl than the cage bottom for sure.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I have a male crimson bellied who is about 5 years old, and I have a few breeding pairs (and some chicks at the moment). From what I can tell a lot of it comes down to the individual bird. The bad is that my Feygele can be a little unpredictable. Sometimes he is the sweetest bird in the world, other times he'll bite me for seemingly no reason. He is very hormonal at the moment and loves my girlfriend. If she's in the room he wants nothing to do with me, but if she's not then he reverts back to his old loving self. Despite all this, the bond we have feels more special and deep than anything I've experienced with other birds. He loves to just hang out on my shoulder for hours on end and let's me scritch him and get his pin feathers to my heart's content. He is the reason I decided to breed them.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a male crimson bellied who is about 5 years old, and I have a few breeding pairs (and some chicks at the moment). From what I can tell a lot of it comes down to the individual bird. The bad is that my Feygele can be a little unpredictable. Sometimes he is the sweetest bird in the world, other times he'll bite me for seemingly no reason. He is very hormonal at the moment and loves my girlfriend. If she's in the room he wants nothing to do with me, but if she's not then he reverts back to his old loving self. Despite all this, the bond we have feels more special and deep than anything I've experienced with other birds. He loves to just hang out on my shoulder for hours on end and let's me scritch him and get his pin feathers to my heart's content. He is the reason I decided to breed them.
He sounds like a special little guy for sure! I'd love to see a picture of him :heart: Aww chicks? How old are they are the moment? That's so wonderful that you can help breed more members of these little Gems of Conures.