• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who do I tell? Neglected M2

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
I live in a pretty rural area in the USA so I won’t say where it is unless you PM me. But I know of a pet store that has a teenage M2 who is such a sweet boy despite his situation. I used to go in all the time and get him out but I am not welcome there anymore...

His cage is in a dark storage room without any natural light. He does not get the vitamins he desperately needs from the sun and almost never gets to come out of his cage now. Maybe a few time a week at most. They’ll smack his cage with a broom handle when he’s screaming and tug on his tail feathers when he won’t come out. Needless to say he’s restored to plucking and has no chest feathers.

It absolutely breaks my heart and I think about him all the time. But he’s “not for sale”. They have said they’d entertain selling him but they think he’s worth like $5,000....I’m not kidding. If they were willing to take a grand I’d probably give it to them and take him to a rescue (I don’t need another large cockatoo).

He needs enrichment in his life. M2s are some of the most complex parrots to own and they aren’t doing a single thing right and don’t seem to care even the slightest about him.

I would go in there multiple times a week. Get him out (which was pretty much the only time he would get to regularly come out) and wander around with him and show him to people where he could talk to them. Teach kids about him, etc. He LOVED it because he desperately craves that interaction. I don’t even want to think how neglected he’s been during this covid closing.

Who do I report this to? I want him to get the life he deserves and not have this as his future.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not sure, because it sounds like he has food, water & shelter. You'd need to think of someone who knew about animal husbandry, because otherwise it'll be your word against theirs. They'll doubtless say you're lying about the tail feathers & that he pulled them out or that the broom is only used for sweeping. Maybe writing to a municipal animal shelter in a larger area for advice would help.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Tough call, if theres food, shelter, water, that's all the ASPCA requires,,,sad and disgusting .. Maybe have a freind go in , take photos, schmooze the place with " Hi! Oh what a Sweetheart, can I hold him?"..Secretly photograph everything,, Do you have access to a news channel? Here in Arizona, we have " 3 on your side", been there done that, but you must appear on the news, I wish I was more help..I'll tag our sage of Toos,,John..
@JLcribber ,,he may have some insight.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There is no law that has any teeth that is being broken. Sadly this bird is resigned to the wishes of this parasitic business. If you were a criminal you would do what any good criminal would do and steal that steal that bird. Then burn down the place down just for the fun of it. BUT YOU'RE NOT A CRIMINAL (have any criminal friends?).

Sounds like you need $5k to make this parasite go away. I have no real advice because you are basically powerless in this situation except borrow what it takes and pay the ransom to save this birds life.

I feel your pain and empathize deeply.

It's a good thing that store is not near me. I would become that owners worst on going nightmare.

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
I don't understand why do they even bother keeping the M2? It sounds like he's unwanted and just a chore to maintain. :rant:

Does he belong to the shop owner? This is really tough...

Reactions: Ali

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I would contact the nearest bird rescue and find someone there that understands how dire the situation is.

Also, money talks. If you have $1k take it in hand, show it, offer it. They’ll say no. Suggest that they look on kijiji or craigslist and see the prices there.
Go back 2 weeks later and offer it again/ see if they changed. Their mind.

I have done this before. It truly works... works even better when you start out by saying “I was talking to the local rescue about your bird” or better yet (I haven’t done this but my friend did) “I overheard someone at the rescue giving this address, they want to take your bird. Before that happens I want to offer you....”

It's a good thing that store is not near me. I would become that owners worst on going nightmare
@JLcribber Im with you.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
Thanks everyone. That’s basically what I figured. Unfortunately there’s not much we can do. And since he’s in a storage room behind closed doors, the public can’t see his living situation. Some people know he’s there but they always just go get him if requested. And sadly, unless you’re used to owning large parrots, especially cockatoos, most people have no idea that the level of care they need. They just see them alive and say “wow! Look at that pretty bird!” To be honest, that’s probably the main issue. Most people have no idea the needs of a large parrot, especially an M2 so most people, ASPCA included don’t bat an eye.

I mean that’s why zoos started right? People just wanted to look at animals up close. If they’re alive they’re good....Thankfully some have turned to educating conservation now but not after many people showing their teeth about their business practices. But I digress.

It’s just super sad. He deserves so much better. I’ve known about this for a long time but it’s really been on my mind lately due to the store being closed for COVID. At least when people were allowed in they’d bring him out periodically to show him off. I can only imagine how long he’s been in his cage in the dark storage room now. :(

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
There is no law that has any teeth that is being broken. Sadly this bird is resigned to the wishes of this parasitic business. If you were a criminal you would do what any good criminal would do and steal that steal that bird. Then burn down the place down just for the fun of it. BUT YOU'RE NOT A CRIMINAL (have any criminal friends?).

Sounds like you need $5k to make this parasite go away. I have no real advice because you are basically powerless in this situation except borrow what it takes and pay the ransom to save this birds life.

I feel your pain and empathize deeply.

It's a good thing that store is not near me. I would become that owners worst on going nightmare.
Yes! I hope karma catches up to them someday!

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Would they accept an offer from someone else? Perhaps someone you know could? Might be tough to find such a person as you described it as a rural area and sometimes everyone knows everyone...Unless the rescuce would act as a go-between.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Personally, I like @JLcribber s burn the place down approach too, but maybe a bit over the top?

Last edited by a moderator: