• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who’s good at ‘tiel mutations?

Kris

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hi,
I am very curious about what mutation Pikachu might be. I first met him 20 years ago, as he was my friend’s bird. When he was young, I’m fairly sure he had bluish grey eyes. This year, my friend passed away, and we took him in. He’s about 22 now. He has a small amount of grey feathers in his tail and underside, so I believe he’s pied, not lutino. His eyes are darker now, but recently noticed in the light, that he does have red pupils. I thought that a pied bird wouldn’t have red eyes? Any thoughts??
43E466E8-C3BD-401D-A6BB-3C517B3308D9.jpeg

Attachments

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Welcome back! You have a gorgeous boy :heart: He looks like a lutino pied but he could be a lacewing. Sorry I can’t answer your question :( Maybe another member can?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Does he have any solid yellow wing feathers, with no spots? If so, I think he's a Lutino pied. I don't think his eyes are the right color to be a lutino peal pied. They should be red. A lutino pied will have grey-blue to blue-white eye color. This is per Susanne Russo's book on cockatiel mutations.

Kris

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hmmm… ok. His wings are solid yellow. No spots. I always thought that any grey feathers would disqualify them as a lutino. Maybe I’m wrong? He has about 6-10 grey feathers.

Kris

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Welcome back! You have a gorgeous boy :heart: He looks like a lutino pied but he could be a lacewing. Sorry I can’t answer your question :( Maybe another member can?
Pikachu says “thanks”.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He has grey in his tail? Can you take a picture?