• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White Winged Parakeet

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
His wings are clipped. It seems like they're clipped super short too, but maybe that's just how I'm seeing it. He can flap flap flap and almost get from one perch to another (when he thinks i'm trying to eat him for lunch generally ;)) I'm very interested to see how he looks with all his feathers at the appropriate lengths. lol His poor tail feathers are all beat up too. He's not bothering them or anything, I'm guessing it's from not being able to really fly and bumping them into things.

I'll try the cage door open with a treat this weekend. Am I over thinking having to put him back in the cage? I really don't want to grab him for any reason and play into the fear he already has of me.
I am probably not the best to ask this question to. LOL. Having had multiple fosters, I am very much of the let them out and see what happens mentality. The worst time I have had was actually with my first bird. He flew up high and wouldn't come down. I sat on the floor with some millet for probably an hour and he eventually came down to get the millet and I coaxed him back in the cage. I also used to have him step up on a pillow before he would step up on my hand. Big and less scary. You just have to be really careful if he can't fly that he doesn't fall and hurt himself. That would be my biggest worry. Is your cage on a stand? Can you set it on the floor if you do decide to open the door? You should definitely move at the pace that you're comfortable with too and if you don't think you're comfortable with him coming out yet and you don't think he's comfortable then don't. Also, just because you open the door, he may not want to come out. It took my first bird a good 2 week before he wanted to come out.

Fisheyy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristen
I am probably not the best to ask this question to. LOL. Having had multiple fosters, I am very much of the let them out and see what happens mentality. The worst time I have had was actually with my first bird. He flew up high and wouldn't come down. I sat on the floor with some millet for probably an hour and he eventually came down to get the millet and I coaxed him back in the cage. I also used to have him step up on a pillow before he would step up on my hand. Big and less scary. You just have to be really careful if he can't fly that he doesn't fall and hurt himself. That would be my biggest worry. Is your cage on a stand? Can you set it on the floor if you do decide to open the door? You should definitely move at the pace that you're comfortable with too and if you don't think you're comfortable with him coming out yet and you don't think he's comfortable then don't. Also, just because you open the door, he may not want to come out. It took my first bird a good 2 week before he wanted to come out.
That's true. He might not even want to come out, but maybe he will get accustomed to having the door open. Good thought! His cage is on a stand-ish. I have a big table mounted to the wall for his stand to sit on. So when he's on the top perch he's just about eye level with me. I didn't want him to feel like I'm towering over him all the time so I thought if he could look down at me a bit he might be less scared. lol
Maybe I'll put the cage on the floor this weekend and just sit on the floor with him, or sit at the desk and pretend I can't see him :)

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Once they come around White-Wings are the sweetest little monsters.
Mine is a total Perch Potato.... and wants to sit and cuddle all the time.

Its quite adorable.
The ones I've known love shreddable toys, bells and attention xD

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Its quite adorable.
That was my experience too. Mine really wasn't interested in flying around but just wanted to cuddle and preen my hair. A sweet older woman adopted him where he can get lots of attention all day.

Fisheyy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristen

Its quite adorable.
That was my experience too. Mine really wasn't interested in flying around but just wanted to cuddle and preen my hair. A sweet older woman adopted him where he can get lots of attention all day.

Thats all I want, bird cuddles! lol I'm hoping this weekend he will warm up to me a bit. I'm getting done with work soon and plan on putting his cage on the floor and sitting with him with the door open, with millet as a bribe :D

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We had one for about a week, but his voice was so shrill we couldn't take it. We can handle the calls of screeching cockatoos & even our macaw's "death scream", but that little guy's voice was just too piercing. :confused: It was a shame for us because he was so sweet and very much a people bird. :heart: Our neighbors took him and spoiled him rotten! Their whole family loved him and he ended up with his best family. :)

I'll bet your guy will be a darling little velcro bird once he gets used to his new home. :heart2:

xjessicar9

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jess
What a beautiful little guy! I was looking around on this website to try and find someone else with the same bird: I just got a white-winged parakeet a few weeks ago! I named her Fiona :) Archimedes is beautiful, congratulations on your new baby! I have the same little mirror perch for Fiona, and she LOVES sitting on it too! For some reason though she never looks at herself and only uses it to sit on it, and peek at me around the corner :roflmao:

Fisheyy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristen
What a beautiful little guy! I was looking around on this website to try and find someone else with the same bird: I just got a white-winged parakeet a few weeks ago! I named her Fiona :) Archimedes is beautiful, congratulations on your new baby! I have the same little mirror perch for Fiona, and she LOVES sitting on it too! For some reason though she never looks at herself and only uses it to sit on it, and peek at me around the corner :roflmao:
I saw when you first posted Fiona and was wondering if she is the same type! She seems a bit greener, Archimedes looks kind of duller or darker to me? I think the better food will brighten him up though.

And yes! He never looks at himself, just uses it to peek at me and then hide. lol We must have gotten them around the same time :). He is still a scared guy. I have been dropping a treat in his bowl whenever I pass by him, and he chats with me all day. He will make the cutest little beep after every thing I say. He just doesn't like when I get too close. I really hope he warms up and isn't scared forever! He is not interested in the little triangle swing I put in his cage and it's been in there over a week, lol.

How is Fiona? Is she nervous? Outgoing?

Fisheyy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristen
So I think I have progress today! I have a perch mounted to the bookshelves between Archimedes’ and Impa’s (GCC) cage. I use it to do little training sessions with Impa. She’s the outgoing one and loves to come out of her cage and sit on my shoulder. The perch is shaped like a Y and I’ve been working with her to come to my finger and step up where I’ll put her on the left side and then move my hand to the right side so she has to maneuver her way over to me and step up. For a treat of course ;)
I mounted it between their cages thinking Archimedes will get to see what’s happening and maybe realize I’m not that scary after all. Of course I put treats on his perch that’s closest to me when I’m working with Impa so he feels involved too. Lol.
Well! Today that little green potato actually took a treat from my hand! Through the cage of course, but never the less I’m thrilled!! He took a few treats actually! To be fair he did grab the treat and run like I might eat him, but I’m still counting it as a win.
And here’s a photo because what’s the point without one. You can see his little tail sticking out on the left. :)
6EE4B2A1-785F-4278-87D1-53147277CFB2.jpeg

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Yay!

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I just came back from our local petco and they have 2 canary winged parakeets for sale. They are very cute, but scared to death, I never seen one before. Good luck with yours

Elizabeth1

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Elizabeth
Hi Everyone. I'm new here : ). I've been reading over the forums for a bit now and figured I might as well jump in.
I recently brought home a white winged parakeet. I have been looking for a green cheek conure for a while now and just haven't found any! I happened to come across this little guy in a pet store and he looked so scared I had to take him. ~I know, silly way to make a decision on a new family ember that will most likely be with us for years to come, but I couldn't leave him. Every time anyone got near the glass container he was in he would climb all the way up to the top corner of the cage and hide his little face. It was so sad.

So my soft heart decided I had to 'rescue' him from the petstore torture he was living in. They said he has been there for a few months now (I'm assuming I'm the only crazy person to adopt the most fearful bird in the store... shocker) He is 9 months old, and I'm saying he but obv have no idea on sex.

Shocker #2 he's pretty timid. I have a good sized cage for him in my office where I work at least 8 hours a day. It's on my home property too so I come sit with him after dinner and on the weekend too. He has only been here for about a week and I'm just trying to be calm and hope he realizes that I don't want to eat him : ) I have been bringing him different fruits and veggies every morning and am starting to see that he loves apples and blueberries, hopefully he'll start to know me as the yummy fruit lady!

Does anyone have experience with this breed? And/or Does anyone have experience with working through the baggage that is pet store trauma? I just want him to be happy and love me. lol
I know you posted this almost two years ago but I would see how your bird is doing now and whether you would like to start a Canary Winged Parakeet forum? I have a Yellow Chevroned Canary Winged - have had about two months - and I would enjoy talking to others who have the same breed. My “Francis” is lovely and appears to be bonding to me. I’d like to hear how yours is doing now.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I know you posted this almost two years ago but I would see how your bird is doing now and whether you would like to start a Canary Winged Parakeet forum? I have a Yellow Chevroned Canary Winged - have had about two months - and I would enjoy talking to others who have the same breed. My “Francis” is lovely and appears to be bonding to me. I’d like to hear how yours is doing now.
This member was only active for two months, and has not logged in in almost a year. It is very unlikely that they will ever see your post.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
What a beautiful baby.
I would recommend 'in cage training'... you can google or search youtube for Birdtricks timid bird in cage training.
I totally understand (I'm sure all of us here will) saving the sad fearful bird. Time, patience and love will get you a good relationship in the end.
Ps. My rescue budgie is also called Archimedes!!!!!

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Wait aren’t canary winged parakeets and white winged parakeets different?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What a beautiful baby.
I would recommend 'in cage training'... you can google or search youtube for Birdtricks timid bird in cage training.
I totally understand (I'm sure all of us here will) saving the sad fearful bird. Time, patience and love will get you a good relationship in the end.
Ps. My rescue budgie is also called Archimedes!!!!!
This is an old thread. OP hasn’t been back in a very long time