• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White Wing Parakeet (Bee Bee parrot) Home Safe, Hightstown NJ

Zellie

Moving in
Posting this here too!!
Hi all, Bobby was found and is home safe!! He made it through a violent thunderstorm and landed at someone's feet about 1.5 miles away. She, Darcy, picked him up and gave him food and water immediately. Poor guy was hungry!! She posted on Facebook, and looked at parrot alert/parrot 911 and got my email address. Darcy also called a friend at a local pet store where I had given a flyer with my phone number. The pet store called me. Darcy texted me as well. She also spoke with a friend who had seen one of my flyers posted in town. So I was contacted 3 ways...and with the internet and flyers, probably 6000 people were on the look out for my little guy.

A couple of take aways: Act fast! Use the 911 Parrot Alert facebook group and website. Follow their directions on what to do when bird gets out. My bird was in next town so Flyers with picture and info posted at pet stores, supermarkets, post office, intersections and main roads within a mile of my house really helped. Nextdoor.com got the word out to about 5000 people. I also gave flyers to taxi drivers, mail carriers, fed ex and UPS drivers that I saw in my search.

He got out about 3 pm in the afternoon Tuesday. As he escaped, I watched the direction he flew to. He was still in the same area the next morning. I read that birds don't generally go far the first day...and you should go out before sunrise next morning and call to the bird for a few hours as it may be nearby. I have a second bird so we did that...and Bobby answered back the next morning...but he was across a pond in a swamp and I could not get to him. Often they are afraid to come down from hiding spot, so you have to get to them and be patient, and wait and do all their favorite calls and be obvious with treats. I acted fast and put out 50 flyers and alerts by Wednesday morning. But by Thursday, he was already 1.5 miles away. So at that point, I needed an army to find him and all the flyers and alerts brought him home. He had followed a green way full of big trees and a creek until he got to a neighbor hood and landed in front of Darcy in her back yard. So focus your search along treed areas and your home, and work out from there.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes and keeping a look out for Bobby! It takes a village!! Hoping all that lost a bird find them safe and bring them home!!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I'm amazed to hear about the workings of Bobby's coming home again.
You really mobilized everything you could and didn't let panic or sadness paralyze you.
Great advice everyone should take to heart.
:heart::dance4::hug8:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I'm so very happy for you both!!!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
That’s wonderful news! :dance4:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that Bobby is back home again!

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I'm so happy Bobby stayed safe! I live nearby and was concerned because of the awful weather we've had. Maybe all the storms made him stay undercover and kept him from venturing even further away. Good boy!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Wonderful news! Well done getting the word out there in time to get Bobby home :)