• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White front needs a friend.

QueenB

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone,
New member with only one bird. A five year old female white front amazon. I’ve recently started working more and while she’s not showing any signs of stress, I was thinking of getting her a friend. A rescue in town has a female white front, but she was sadly kept alone in a room for almost 20 years. I held her today and she seemed calm enough although very shy.
I guess I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice for this? Should I leave well enough alone? Has anyone tried bonding a pair so disparate in ages? Does anyone have a white front that’s friends with another breed? Thank you all for your time?

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
Before you get the bird make sure you have a separate cage and all the supplies ready in a quarantine room. After quarantining the bird you can put the bird next to your other bird in the separate cage. If you want the birds could meet by bringing your Amazon to meet the other Amazon, but be mindful of avian diseases.
( This is what I think, please correct me if I am wrong.) If they do have squabbles when out of the cage different arrangements could be made.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If you are ready for another bird, I'd say go for it.
They may never bond, but they'll enjoy and benefit from having a flock mate in the same room
As they're the same time, most likely (not 100%) they'll be fine out together after getting to know each other.
As others say, be sure to quarantine.
And think of what you'd be doing for that poor Zon who was alone in a room for 20 years!

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
You have good intentions, but don't forget that having another bird in the room isn't a substitute for time out of the cage and attention from you. It's possible for the introduction of a new bird to cause her to stress out.
They may be fine having joint out of cage time, or they may not. It's a guessing game at this point. All I can say for sure is don't put them in the same cage, or leave them out together alone assuming they'll get along.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
How long have you had her? And I assume you know she’s a she by visual. White fronted don’t need sex testing.

They don’t breed well in captivity at all, but are very friendly to people even in the wild!

I wouldn’t rely on another bird to replace the attention that we as parronts have to give them. Too much can go wrong for too little possible benefit.