• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White capped pionus

addisdad76

Moving in
Real Name
Andrew Davies
Hi there, we have a 20 month old white capped pionus who goes a little bit crazy when my partner or my daughter brush, comb or generally mess with their hair. He opens and closes his beak he chirps like crazy and fluffs up then shakes off, stretches his wing etc all while being kind of agitated. He doesn’t seem angry but everytime they mess with their hair he has this weird and rather cute reaction. If anyone can shed some kind of insight or ideas that would be great. Thanks in advane.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
By 'hair' do you mean Head feathers? If it's his body (anywhere other than his head) then he probably interprets it as something else, something a little too friendly. You probably already know that, just making sure it's covered.

If you're just petting his head, not his body, then probably he just doesn't like it. Parrots are weird and have their own opinions.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Have I got this wrong? I thought this was when your partner or daughter do their own hair. :think1:

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
I thought this was when your partner or daughter do their own hair. :think1:
I read it that way as well, They did not state anything about touching the bird, just the reaction the birdy has

addisdad76

Moving in
Real Name
Andrew Davies
Yeah it’s when my wife or daughter touch their hair. Also tonight when my daughter was playing with her dolls and was combing their hair he got quite animated again. He is a little star and we are just wondering really why he does it.

addisdad76

Moving in
Real Name
Andrew Davies
Can he fly?

It's possible he wants to help them preen their hair(?).
Yeah he can fly and will fly to us when he wants to sit with us. But he just watches when they do their hair and gets really giddy...