• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

white capped pionus opportunity!

Abbyjenna29

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
Hi everyone! I have the opportunity to rescue a white capped pionus. They say he steps up, but that he does not like cuddles, he will take cuddles occasionally, and doesn't like shoulders. Does that raise any red flags? As a side note he is only 10 months the rescue says he will be a year old in June. So where my concern comes is if he is a year old by the time he gets to me, will he bond to the rescue or will he bond to me? Sorry, i'm a new pionus owner.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sounds like a typical Pi to me lol.

Age does not determine ability to bond. I bonded pretty quickly with my Jardine's, and he was 19 years old ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
A bird can bond at any age. My first bird was 15 when he came to live with me and he thought I was the best thing in the world. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I agree sounds like a typical Pionus. They want attention on their terms.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They choose who they choose but if you're the only one with him eventually you'll be it. It can happen very quickly or if he is picky it may take a while.
Lurch took 5 years but he had a lot of baggage to work through. Nerd we bonded over a short time and I was his world till he left us 31 years later. Dobby loves everyone but my sister is his chosen one after he settled in.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My WCP chose me the first day we met. He had supposedly never been bonded with someone and he was very cage-bound. He was 17. He is now 23.

The advantage you have is the age. You will be able to train him and get to know him and have a long wonderful relationship. Pionus are a very specific species, they’re not for everyone I think. You have to be alert or you miss their cues. But if you notice, those of us who have them are nuts about them.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Parrots will bond at any age, as others have said. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Not being cuddly and not liking shoulders are not red flags. However, if you want a "cuddly" bird I'd look at another rescue. While he's young and could change, some birds are just not cuddly no matter what. I had a Meyer's for a long time who was cuddly. She liked to doze off on my shoulder pressed up against my neck or on my chest if I was sitting. She liked to cuddle.

My CAG is not cuddly at all, which seems typical of the species. I have no issues with it. She welcomes head scratches on occasion and that's all she wants.

Don't get a non-cuddly bird thinking you can change it if you want a cuddly bird.

Ilsatr49

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ilsa Toro
Hi everyone! I have the opportunity to rescue a white capped pionus. They say he steps up, but that he does not like cuddles, he will take cuddles occasionally, and doesn't like shoulders. Does that raise any red flags? As a side note he is only 10 months the rescue says he will be a year old in June. So where my concern comes is if he is a year old by the time he gets to me, will he bond to the rescue or will he bond to me? Sorry, i'm a new pionus owner.
Hi I had a pionus and she died three days ago i cant stop crying we are all lookiing for another pionus she was with us for 27 years.we are looking to get another one. We love these guys...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi I had a pionus and she died three days ago i cant stop crying we are all lookiing for another pionus she was with us for 27 years.we are looking to get another one. We love these guys...
You might like to start your own thread in Welcome Lane
You may also like to start a thread on the loss of your bird here Highway to Heaven

I am sorry to hear of your loss :sorrow:

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
I'm so sorry for your loss and your are obviously a good owner 27 is a good age from what I have read 20 to 40 is the max and it's clear you provide a loving home I think you should take on the new bird I know I would find working with a new bird would help me with my loss .
so if this will help you make a happy white cup and give it the loving home it deserves .

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
It helped me when I lost Nerd bird in 09. It gave me another bird to work with and stop thinking about Nerd so much. It was good for both of us even if neither one of us realized it at the time.