• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White Capped Pi weight concern

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
White Caps tend to be smaller than the other Pionus parrots so 190 to 200 might not be out of line. Nerd bird was a very skinny Maxi Pionus and he averaged 214 his whole life. Normal is around 250 give or take. He was active and happy for 31 years with me.
Your bird could just be a skinny version. If she suddenly drops a lot of weight once you know her morning average then it's time to get help. The pictures she looks very good and happy with bright eyes.
She never finishes her bowl of pellets. I switched her from Tropimix to Zupreem veggie pellets a few months ago because she was only eating the seeds in the Tropimix. She does eat some of her pellets but never all of it. She does eat her chop, nutriberries, dried fruit and occasional peanut (her fave). But I wish she'd eat more pellets. Can you recommend a good brand of pellets for stuburn birds? What do your Pi's eat? Thanks!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I feed Dobby fruit blend Zupreem pellets and he likes most of the colors. I fed my other Maxis the same plus fruit blend nutri berries and whatever fruits and veggies they liked plus he steals some of our food that's reasonably OK for him.
The main thing is find something he'll actually eat as healthy wont do any good if he won't touch it.
If you have something great you want him to try make a big deal of how much you like it and he'll probably get curious about it and want it himself. They love to share dinner time and food with their flock.