• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White Capped Pi weight concern

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I adoped Ali, a white capped Pionus about 6 months ago. She has been a wonderful addition to our family! She was eating a very unhealthy diet of seeds and junk food when I adopted her. I've managed to convert her to pellets, which I am very pleased about. When I took her to the vet a couple months ago for an exam she weighed 194 G. But now she is down to 190 G. I am definitely concerned. Now the weight loss happened after she went from a seed diet to pellets. Her poops look much healthier now then when I got her. She has a good appetite and seems happy and healthy but underweight. I am planning on getting her bloodwork done asap. How alarmed should I be?? Thanks!

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I adoped Ali, a white capped Pionus about 6 months ago. She has been a wonderful addition to our family! She was eating a very unhealthy diet of seeds and junk food when I adopted her. I've managed to convert her to pellets, which I am very pleased about. When I took her to the vet a couple months ago for an exam she weighed 194 G. But now she is down to 190 G. I am definitely concerned. Now the weight loss happened after she went from a seed diet to pellets. Her poops look much healthier now then when I got her. She has a good appetite and seems happy and healthy but underweight. I am planning on getting her bloodwork done asap. How alarmed should I be?? Thanks!
Not sure why my posts aren't showing up in "new posts" ??

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Bump

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I wouldnt wory just yet :)

some weight loss can be expected! If shes otherwise healthy then dont stress Out.
ive had the same. Weight should go back up eventually. Keep an eye on it.

also, try adding fresh vegatables to the diet, so called “chop” :)
pellets alone are not enough. Our forum has some great recepies :)

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I wouldnt wory just yet :)

some weight loss can be expected! If shes otherwise healthy then dont stress Out.
ive had the same. Weight should go back up eventually. Keep an eye on it.

also, try adding fresh vegatables to the diet, so called “chop” :)
pellets alone are not enough. Our forum has some great recepies :)
Thank you! That is reassuring I do feed my 3 birbs daily chop and of the 3 Ali enjoys it the most. Still going to get her bloodwork done just to be sure there's nothing elae going on.

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Weighed her this morning and she's up 3 grams at 193. Vet said ideally she should be between 198-200. I'm going to weigh her daily, before her breakfast. Honestly, when she was 194 at the vet it was after she'd eaten. Today she's 193 before eating so she may actually have gained a bit since the vet. As recommended I'm going to keep a close eye on it. Also, I'm working on getting her to fly (she's 13 and has clipped wings up until now) she's been flapping a lot, which I've been encouraging and I'm trying to get her to fly short distances. Perhaps once she gets more muscle from flying and flapping her weight will get to where it needs to be. Still planning on getting her bloodwork done soon just to be 100%

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
She's a cutie!

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
She looks small, but good :) if she never flew before, and shes now flapping a lot, shes burning off fat. Once she flies, she will build up muscles, which will gain weight :) i have confidence she will flourish in your care :heart:

can you take a pic in different light from further off?? Feather condition can tell you a lot :)

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
She looks small, but good :) if she never flew before, and shes now flapping a lot, shes burning off fat. Once she flies, she will build up muscles, which will gain weight :) i have confidence she will flourish in your care :heart:

can you take a pic in different light from further off?? Feather condition can tell you a lot :)
Her feathers are not in stellar condition. But when I got her she was on a very poor diet. We're talking seeds, peanuts and fritos!! I make sure she gets lots a vitamin A veggies and also give her red palm oil prescribed by het vet. So we're working on feather condition too!

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
My WCP is frequently between 190- 195 and he is very healthy.

Try making Bird Bannock bread by Avian Organics. Put veggie chop in it like chopped kale. It may be a healthy way to gain weight if weight gain is needed.

I applaud you for your vigilance and good parronting.

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
My WCP is frequently between 190- 195 and he is very healthy.

Try making Bird Bannock bread by Avian Organics. Put veggie chop in it like chopped kale. It may be a healthy way to gain weight if weight gain is needed.

I applaud you for your vigilance and good parronting.
Thank you ❤ we can try some birdie bread too. I don't think any of my birds would object!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
White Caps tend to be smaller than the other Pionus parrots so 190 to 200 might not be out of line. Nerd bird was a very skinny Maxi Pionus and he averaged 214 his whole life. Normal is around 250 give or take. He was active and happy for 31 years with me.
Your bird could just be a skinny version. If she suddenly drops a lot of weight once you know her morning average then it's time to get help. The pictures she looks very good and happy with bright eyes.