• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White-bellied Caique Behavior Change

ShaneA96

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shane Arlt
Hello! My name is Shane and my family recently brought a hand fed White-bellied Caique named Frankie into our home. We’ve had Frankie almost 6 months. He has been the sweetest bird since we brought him home. Very playful and willing to jump on your finger to come out of the cage. Unfortunately, about a month ago he went from wanting to come out of his cage to not having any interest in coming out. He almost tries to hide when you attempt to engage with him and gets very frantic when you open the cage to try and take him out. This behavior literally happened overnight and there was no specific incident that could provide an answer for his change in behavior. He is acting as if he has been mistreated and afraid of everyone (specifically me) but perfectly happy in his cage, rolling on the base with his jingly balls and other toys. His diet has remained the same and does not demonstrate any health issues. He will come out of the cage if you leave the upper door open and is “ok” when you pick him up b/c he will often try to fly away when you try to pick him up. Once he’s on your shoulder, he will screech a little bit but eventually starts chirping and nibbling on your ear, so he clearly becomes comfortable with time.

I know that certain breeds of birds can go through hormonal changes but everything I’ve read suggests that the bird becomes more aggressive for a period of time which is not what Frankie is demonstraing. I spoke to a Vet and they thought that maybe he got spooked and that we need to build back his confidence. I’m at a loss b/c there was no specific incidenot that could’ve occurred in the 24-hour timeframe explan why he would shift from such a sweet, tame bird to one that is almost wild-like and adverse to any human interaction. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
No kids came in to your house? No thunderstorms? No rats or mice? No traffic disturbances? Were you home?

ShaneA96

Real Name
Shane Arlt
No kids came in to your house? No thunderstorms? No rats or mice? No traffic disturbances? Were you home?

No kids entered the home. My children are 21 and 17. There were no major storms and/or earthquake in our area that would've scared him. We also have a hand fed Rose Breasted Cockatoo and he has been unaffected since Frankie's change in behavior. I was home and the change happened quite literally overnight. His cage is covered at night. The ONLY thing that could've happened is the seed catcher getting caught on the cover which can bang but I make sure to comfort the bird if this ever happens. This has happened maybe once or twice and it was long before the behavior change. Frankie has been known to lift it up on his own through the cage which creates the same banging noise. As you can see from photo, Frankie tends to gravitate toward this perch and almost hides from me when I approach, which again is so odd b/c there was not an incident leading up to his change and we have always got along famously up until the morning we weren't.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Has anything been added, removed or repositioned in the room? Even the slightest change can sometimes cause them to behave like a death trap has been placed in their path.

ShaneA96

Real Name
Shane Arlt
Unfortunately, no, the cage is in the same position. I regularly swap out his hanging toys and even went so far as to put some of his older toys back in the cage once his behavior changed.