• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White-backed Mousebirds are hatching...

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Yes...we'll have to do some research on the temps, humidity levels, etc, in their native climate.

Excessive humidity is worse. The poor babies will swell and smother in the egg :( My mousers will back off from breeding during the most humid times of the year.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Whew!...another WB baby hatched out. By how red looking it is it was probably a delayed and dehydrated hatch from the low humidity. the parents are doing a good job sitting and feeding. The oldest looks real plump :) And if you look there is a big difference between a WB chicks beak from the BN...

Attachments

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Look at those beaks! :omg:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Look at those beaks! :omg:
-------------------------------------

Yes...the color is scary looking! I have been saving pix's to show the changes of color as the birds go from babies to adults. I have never looked in the nest at night...it makes me wonder if they glow. The color must make it easier to see the head for feeding. And the WB have yellow tongues, and the BN are pink. So many differences between the species.

Attachments

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
I follow these threads with such keen interest!! I'd love to have one... oh maybe someday when I win that lottery and can afford the time and $$ needed to get these guys across the border! :rofl:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I follow these threads with such keen interest!! I'd love to have one... oh maybe someday when I win that lottery and can afford the time and $$ needed to get these guys across the border! :rofl:

Keep the dream ALIVE!!! :hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Tanya, There are some mousebird breeders in Canada. You might even see some at bird shows up ther :)

LOL...the expence of the bird is the least of it. These little birds can EAT, and EAT and EAT!

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Love the pictures and the education that this thread is giving to all of us!
Now, the "red" baby...will he survive, you think? Will his skin go back to the normal or will he always has issues in health because of the humidity issue during hatching? OR do you know any of the answers?:o:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Billie faye, the little one should be fine. Fortunitely fruit contains plenty of fluids so he will get rehydrated pretty quickly as the parents feed him. He was squiriming pretty well yesterday, which means he was active and not lethargic from exhaustion in getting out of the egg.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I hope "Red" continues to get bigger and becomes as plump as thier fellow siblings are.

They won't kick him out of the nest will they?? Cause he looks different?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
baby info

Status
Not open for further replies.