• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White-backed Mousebirds are hatching...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Is it possible for a BN & a WB to mate & create a hybrid chick? Just totally curious.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes Missi, Susanne and I discussed this and feel it would be bad, considering how few there are here.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Missi, yes, the mousebird book cautions against this. With how few there are being worked with breeders need to try and keep each species true to the bird.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Absolutely, I was just curious if it was biologically possible!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Absolutely, I was just curious if it was biologically possible!
------------------------------------

The book says within the same genus, like the urocolius (BN, RF) or colius (speckled, white-headed RB, WB) there can be hybrids, that are fertile and externally do not look different enough to distinguish from true species, and could 'accidently' be put into serious breeding programs, 'muddying up' the genetic waters further. The main problem with hybridizing is that hybrids have a different genetic make-up from either parent species so are not valuable as breeding stock to ensure species survival.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi

------------------------------------

The book says within the same genus, like the urocolius (BN, RF) or colius (speckled, white-headed RB, WB) there can be hybrids, that are fertile and externally do not look different enough to distinguish from true species, and could 'accidently' be put into serious breeding programs, 'muddying up' the genetic waters further. The main problem with hybridizing is that hybrids have a different genetic make-up from either parent species so are not valuable as breeding stock to ensure species survival.
Makes perfect sense. I just got the book today & can not wait to dive right in to the detailed mouser world!

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Makes perfect sense. I just got the book today & can not wait to dive right in to the detailed mouser world!

That is NOT to say that these fabulous threads are not full of invaluable detailed information as well! ;):dancing::dance5::hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK..another MUST HAVE book is an old one that you can search for on a used book site, like: www.alibris.com It is called: KIKI the Mousebird

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
OK..another MUST HAVE book is an old one that you can search for on a used book site, like: www.alibris.com It is called: KIKI the Mousebird
I ordered that last week from Amazon.com! I got it for a total of $7 including shipping :dance5:It is in "very good" condition!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
She lacks some social skills I think. lol

----------------------------------------------------

Kristy...If I had to put a personality on her she would be a flower child from the 60's

I just went out to give the mousers their morning banana and bread. The Hussy looks like she is 'Knocked Up!!!'...or 'with-egg' so she has been playing with the boys.LOL

Below is a pix of a mouser with egg, and the Hussy's abdomen looks like that.

Attachments

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
My, those WBs certainly are prolific little souls! :dance5:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Yes, the WB are. Hopefully when I get the nest re-arranged more will go to nest. Double-Stuff (DS) is the Queen Bee of the flight, and the Hussy is running a close 2nd. The Hussy has been on DS's nest peeking in at the babies.

Speaking of babies, this weather sucks!. Not the cold, they are handling that well, but the environmental humidity. I checked the WB nest yesterday and no hatches, yet 2 eggs. I'm suspecting the humidity may have trapped those chicks in shell. They are so hard to get out of the basket nest to see. I converted a cool square cigarbox into a nest and will change out the hooded basket nest for these next time. The lid can be lifted which will make it easier to look in, and there is alot more room inside.

Attachments

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I hope you get that humidity back so your season is filled with successful hatchings.

Hopefully that flower child/hussy settles down a bit once she is a mama. :hehe:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Kristy...thanks :) I'm looking at low humidity til late spring, and with the cooler weather they will not bath in the dishes or on wet leaves. I'm thinking of getting some humdifiers to put near the cages. I was talking with another mousebird breeder and high humidity also creates alot of problems and lots of DIS.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how the Hussy handles mouse-motherhood. And if the babies take after her. She is also a busy-body, and into the other mousebirds face.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I am wondering if misting or a humidifier would help?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I've been scared to try misting because under normal circumstances they can chill so easily if wet, and if they go torpid that can be a problem.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I was talking with another mousebird breeder and high humidity also creates alot of problems and lots of DIS.
What is 'DIS'?
That Hussy sounds like she was given the perfect name.:D

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
DIS means 'Dead In Shell' Some causes are the egg got chilled during development, and died, or close to hatch the egg started to dehydrate, which would cause the membrane to adhere to the baby and prevent it from turing to cut out of the egg. The same thing happens to tiel eggs during this time of year. Also extreme changes or flucuations in weather can affect hatches, and disorientate a hatching chick which can cause them to get lost inside the egg and hatch out the wrong end or the side of the shell.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes, we must remember they come from Sub-Saharan Africa. Not a lot of humidity there at all. In fact, it's very dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.