• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White-backed Mousebirds are hatching...

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Yesterday I thought there was a hatch. The only way I could see in the nest is climb on the counter and aim the camera thru the cage wire, centered between a 1" gap in the top of the hooded finch basket. Ususally a parent is on the nest, and I will gently tug the tail to try and get it to leave the nest to check on things. WB's GROWL, so the parent bird was growling at me. It is interesting because I have never heard the Blue-naped growl, or get agressive. In addition to growling a WB can gettin it the fighting mode by flipping on their back with claws extended, and kicking.

Yesterday when I looked in there were 4 eggs, but one looked it it had a large pipped area, which would mean a baby trapped in the egg. I downloaded the pix and cleaned it up to see that it was just poop on the egg...was releived. All the other mousers in the cage will hang on the sides of the nest and on top of it, so I suspect the poop came from that. mamma mouser cleaned up the egg.

Today...same thing, the growling and there was a baby! You can see the dark down on it, which will be more towards the lower body and head. The BN, do not have alot of down. Theirs is just sparce scattered cream colored tuffs, randonly dispersed on the body.

I also hung another box in the upper corner of the cage, and working on a couple more. You can see a mouser up there surveying it's world. Notice the dilute wine-pink band across the chest. It is something that is not mentioned in the books or things I have read.

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yesterday I thought there was a hatch. The only way I could see in the nest is climb on the counter and aim the camera thru the cage wire, centered between a 1" gap in the top of the hooded finch basket. Ususally a parent is on the nest, and I will gently tug the tail to try and get it to leave the nest to check on things. WB's GROWL, so the parent bird was growling at me..
Where is Kirby? We need him to start documenting events like this..LOL:rofl:
Congrats on the fuzzy new baby! That pic of the WB looking down is great. What a beauty he/she is! I thought it was a butt shot at first.:p

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
YES! That alert WB is GORGEOUS! Oh my...I may need a WB & a BN! Could I keep them together, Susanne? Are their sizes similar?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I kept all 23 mousers in a group cage outside, and they all got along. Thought each species hung together to sleep at night. Aside from that they shared the food, same dishes, and perched next to each other.

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
They are just GORGEOUS!!!! Boy I wish I lived in the US!! You are making me want a mouser!! :rofl: They are so cool!!!
I can't wait for more updates on these babes and the BN babes!!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Tanya, I beleive there are some mousebird breeders in Canada too :)

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Would you look at that!

It's a New Years Eve/day baby!!

Look at the adults surveying the land.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Susanne, do all the WBs look as gorgeous as the alert one in the nest box photo? I have never seen such a beautiful WB...I definitely want to have a BN & a WB together. Male & female so they can keep each other warm & company, but I still want them to be tame to me. I would like to get a female WB baby from you. As we already discussed, my future BN baby will be a male.

Even if this BN chick ends up being female & it is the only baby this clutch, I am certain you will have future BN clutches, so I will purchase the flight cage tomorrow.

Does this sound okay to you, oh queen of the mousers? :laughing12:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Missi,

Yes...the WB have their own quiet beauty. They have the nicest crests of all the species of mousebirds.

Hopefully there will be 2 BN babies. And they most defintely will go another clutch. By the next round I'll have their nestbox problems resolved.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Good morning mousebird ladies! How are you doing, and the flock? Keeping warm? It's FREEZING here, and going to get worse tonight!:christmas12:

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Missi,

Yes...the WB have their own quiet beauty. They have the nicest crests of all the species of mousebirds.

Hopefully there will be 2 BN babies. And they most defintely will go another clutch. By the next round I'll have their nestbox problems resolved.
I think that is what gets me...the BIG FULL crest :heart: & I never noticed the beauty of the lower chest!

Good morning mousebird ladies! How are you doing, and the flock? Keeping warm? It's FREEZING here, and going to get worse tonight!:christmas12:
Morning Carole! I better prepare my frost sheets for my poor tropicals! *sigh*

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OMG...it is 50, windy and feel like FREEZING here, and it's supposed to go down to 30 tonight. I'm going to have to wrap the side of the BN cage...BUT I will have to try to do it earl in the day so that they are used to that sudden change. Your Moss will come in handy to. I'm going to place alot of it on the floor of the cage because I was reading if a baby falls to the floor the mousers will try to cover it to keep it warm, and feed it there. I'll place some heating pads on the sides and top of the cage too.

Fortunitely the WB have their babies in a hooded hanging finch basket so I don't have to worry about those babies. And there is enough adults to form a huge hanging cluster for warmth.

I have a small reptile heating pad to put in the widows cage.

ALSO, another thought...most vets, including mine, know nothing about mousebirds. I'm going to contact Kateri to see if her vet is experienced with mousers, because her book mentions that vets can consult with other vets if needed. Just to have that info as back-up just in case.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:omg: look at that...how truly amazing..what remarkable beautiful birds

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
:omg: look at that...how truly amazing..what remarkable beautiful birds
--------------------------------------

Anne...SHHH!...you don't want Sam the Queen to hear you say that. PLUS they can out eat her too :) But we gotta keep that a secret from her.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!

--------------------------------------

Anne...SHHH!...you don't want Sam the Queen to hear you say that.
:hehe:

I am sure they are tough little guys but I am glad your gonna have them prepared Susanne.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Thanks Kristy. They are very hardy birds with minimal to no health problems...knock on wood. I've been eyeing some large cardboard boxes to put on the side of the BN flight for a wind break. Cardboard tends to be more insular than cloth. And Kirby is out hunting supplies, like extra bedding that they can pile on the nests. I may be catching up some of the geese to get a few soft downey feathers from them for the mousers to use too.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I am just curious are thier wait lists for your babies??

Thinking other breeders would be working with you to get certain birds/lines to work with themselves?

Before here Susanne where did you hang out??

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Kristy, I normally post on www.talkcockatiels.com So I jump back and forth between forums. There is a man that had a pair get off eggs, and I suggested a quick temporary incubator, AND yesterday he hatched out 2 tiel babies in it! There are a few other forums, and I'm on a yahoo mousebird list.

As to a waiting list on babies...I have been getting alot of inquires. When it comes to the WB, especially if they have any WB already I try to ask them for the background of their birds, because the gene pool of breeders is small. I have a lady inquiring on a WB, because she is waiting for a weaned one from a breeder. Come to find out the breeder is someone I sold a pair to last year. As to the BN, I don't have that worry because they are imports and chances of being related to domestic lines is slim to none.

As to trying to get other breeders to work together...it seems like it is a secret society or something. It is so hard to get other breeders to input info :( Early on I had tried on the mousebird list.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I found a nice back shot of a WB hen. In addition to the stripe on the back they have a maroon patch on the rump...

Attachments

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
seems like it is a secret society or something. It is so hard to get other breeders to input info :(
Now that is a shame, I can tell you are trying very diligently to make sure your not doing breeding that would harm the species. Others should as well.

nice back shot of a WB hen. In addition to the stripe on the back they have a maroon patch on the rump...
Look at that, I might have to call them Skunkies now. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.