• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which would do better if im gone 8 hours a day, a Gcc or a quaker?

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I'm really torn about getting either a GCC or a quaker. I work 8 hours a day, but would have be there most all of the other time for them.
I was leaning towards a GCc but keep reading they need constant attention, so it worries me be away all the time. I just purchased a kings cage (waiting on shipment) that is 32x23x65, so I think it would be big enough for either quaker or greencheek.
Noise wouldn't be an issue and I'm really don't care either way about speaking ability (it would be a fun bonus..) I do prefer a laid back personality which I don't think either has lol
Thanks...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
GCCs are very active and need lots of attention, so not them. However I don’t know much about quakers, sorry. I don’t think any bird will do well being along for eight hours a day. Do you have other birds the new bird can interact with while you’re gone?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Not either species of bird but Pionus tend to be able to snooze and entertain themselves quite nicely if they have things to play with and food and water. If they have everything they need and room they'll adjust to your schedule as long as they get love and attention when you get home.
You know what you want in a bird but a different idea to think about.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've left both alone for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
GCCs are very active and need lots of attention, so not them. However I don’t know much about quakers, sorry. I don’t think any bird will do well being along for eight hours a day. Do you have other birds the new bird can interact with while you’re gone?
I have a parakeet..i doubt if ill have them both out at the same time, and definitely not while I'm not there..

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Not either species of bird but Pionus tend to be able to snooze and entertain themselves quite nicely if they have things to play with and food and water. If they have everything they need and room they'll adjust to your schedule as long as they get love and attention when you get home.
You know what you want in a bird but a different idea to think about.
Thanks! I had thought about a senegal, but I'm not sure...

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Thanks. So it can be done? Lol
Not so much a question of it is CAN be done. More a question of if it SHOULD be done. And if it is the right call for you and your individual bird.

To make a non-bird comparison, if someone who lives alone and works full time asked me to recommend a pet to them, I would be more inclined to recommend a cat over a dog. Most dogs, regardless of breed, will not appreciate being left alone all day. It can lead to behavior problems, like separation anxiety and boredom-based destruction. In contrast, cats tend to be pretty okay with their humans leaving them alone while they sleep for eight hours straight, so it is not a big issue to have a cat as a working single person. That does not mean it is impossible or irresponsible to work full time and own a dog ... but it is a bigger responsibility than owning a cat and you might end up dealing with more problems down the road.

I think most bird people will agree that parrots are an even bigger time and attention sink than the average dog. As a group, parrots are very social creatures and they can suffer from a variety of physical and mental health problems if their social needs are not met. Individual parrots might tolerate isolation more, but few of them actually LIKE being alone for any length of time. They are flock birds and want to see or hear their flock mates all the time to feel secure.

That being said, you can make it work with the right mindset and enough creativity to find solutions that work for your particular bird(s) and your situation. There are ways to help your parrot be happy and comfortable while you are gone, and some parrots are less affected by being left alone. But it is definitely something to consider before you commit to parrot ownership.

Last edited:
Reactions: tka

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Thanks! I had thought about a senegal, but I'm not sure...
I have had Maximilian Pionus parrots almost exclusively because I like their usually calm attitude and ability to entertain themselves while alone. I like to call them feathered cats. Nerd I was his world for 31 years, Lurch was a very scared and mad at the world used parrot who would bite without warning at first but very slowly decided I was trustworthy and his chosen one, it took 5 years but was worth it. Dobby came after Lurch escaped and he was given to me by Momazon when she could no longer keep him. He's the most social, outgoing, and chewingest Maxi I've ever known. He refuses to bite and talks a bit. They are generally quiet and gentle but every bird is their own soul so you might get Nerd, Lurch, or Dobby.
They are what I'd call a medium sized parrot. Check out Pionus point and read about them and see if they're a good fit for you.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
They are what I'd call a medium sized parrot. Check out Pionus point and read about them and see if they're a good fit for you.
They can be really hard to find though :( As I am learning, trying to find one near Missouri.. I've only heard of two this year and made the mistake of wavering too long on the first one. Second one was 3 hours away and snatched up before I ever got a chance.

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Not so much a question of it is CAN be done. More a question of if it SHOULD be done. And if it is the right call for you and your individual bird.

To make a non-bird comparison, if someone who lives alone and works full time asked me to recommend a pet to them, I would be more inclined to recommend a cat over a dog. Most dogs, regardless of breed, will not appreciate being left alone all day. It can lead to behavior problems, like separation anxiety and boredom-based destruction. In contrast, cats tend to be pretty okay with their humans leaving them alone while they sleep for eight hours straight, so it is not a big issue to have a cat as a working single person. That does not mean it is impossible or irresponsible to work full time and own a dog ... but it is a bigger responsibility than owning a cat and you might end up dealing with more problems down the road.

I think most bird people will agree that parrots are an even bigger time and attention sink than the average dog. As a group, parrots are very social creatures and they can suffer from a variety of physical and mental health problems if their social needs are not met. Individual parrots might tolerate isolation more, but few of them actually LIKE being alone for any length of time. They are flock birds and want to see or hear their flock mates all the time to feel secure.

That being said, you can make it work with the right mindset and enough creativity to find solutions that work for your particular bird(s) and your situation. There are ways to help your parrot be happy and comfortable while you are gone, and some parrots are less affected by being left alone. But it is definitely something to consider before you commit to parrot ownership.
Thanks..i understand what. A responsibility and undertaking it is.

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have had Maximilian Pionus parrots almost exclusively because I like their usually calm attitude and ability to entertain themselves while alone. I like to call them feathered cats. Nerd I was his world for 31 years, Lurch was a very scared and mad at the world used parrot who would bite without warning at first but very slowly decided I was trustworthy and his chosen one, it took 5 years but was worth it. Dobby came after Lurch escaped and he was given to me by Momazon when she could no longer keep him. He's the most social, outgoing, and chewingest Maxi I've ever known. He refuses to bite and talks a bit. They are generally quiet and gentle but every bird is their own soul so you might get Nerd, Lurch, or Dobby.
Thanks .its too bad that like Elysian has said pionus are few in this area..

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
They can be really hard to find though :( As I am learning, trying to find one near Missouri.. I've only heard of two this year and made the mistake of wavering too long on the first one. Second one was 3 hours away and snatched up before I ever got a chance.
I have found that out myself...