• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which type/brand of parchment paper is safe for baking?

TKP

Moving in
Hello,

Could anyone kindly cite examples of specific brands and types of parchment paper that they have safely used for baking? I have the Walmart brand Great Value Unbleached Compostable Parchment paper. Is this safe for making cheesecake in non-coated aluminum springform pans? There were a bunch of other name-brands as well on the shelf, but all them were bleached.
Great Value Unbleached Compostable Parchment Paper, 50 Sq ft - Walmart.com

I see conflicting info wherein some say parchment paper is safe while others say it is not. I also read that there are 2 types - stationery parchment and culinary parchment. I assume we're focused on just the culinary type here. Within this category, is there a specific version that's bird-safe? Example brands, please?

Thank you,
TKP

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Following

Reactions: TKP

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I've been using that same brand of parchment for baking, but I'll be honest - it's never occurred to me that parchment might not be safe, in general.

I'd be interested to see others thoughts!

Reactions: TKP

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
:popcorn2: It is my understanding that some of the brands are now coating their. parchment with nonstick chemicals. I have been wondering too which brands are safe. I now only use it very very sparingly because I am not sure about my brand (bought it at Costco) and when I do use it, I always run the vent fan. I sure would like to know what brand is absolutely safe.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It is very interesting how things we would have never even imagined to be dangerous to our birds are now seeming questionable. Just like the paper straws :(

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
It is very interesting how things we would have never even imagined to be dangerous to our birds are now seeming questionable. Just like the paper straws :(
I agree. I used to not worry at all with Walter but now I am absolutely Paranoid with the conure. I question everything. I think there should be a law that requires a warning if it could be dangerous to birds (and other pets)

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I looked into this before I had birds, when my city started compost pickup. I switched to the If You Care brand then because it was my best local option for their rules, but can't remember what other brands were also ok. I found this blog post that lists some findings of a few brands -

Parchment paper / likelihood of PFAS

(The Kirkland and Reynolds versions they list aren't the compostable versions - I wonder if those are also silicone coated rather than PFAS) . For years I thought baker's paper was coated in silicone and parchment paper was only paper, and was disappointed to find out I was totally wrong.

I have Nordicware sheet pans that clean up well with scrubbing, so I've been trying to use less liner at all. I mostly use recycled aluminum foil for roasting things like squash that tend to burn on the pan, and save the parchment for baking.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I looked into this before I had birds, when my city started compost pickup. I switched to the If You Care brand then because it was my best local option for their rules, but can't remember what other brands were also ok. I found this blog post that lists some findings of a few brands -

Parchment paper / likelihood of PFAS

(The Kirkland and Reynolds versions they list aren't the compostable versions - I wonder if those are also silicone coated rather than PFAS) . For years I thought baker's paper was coated in silicone and parchment paper was only paper, and was disappointed to find out I was totally wrong.

I have Nordicware sheet pans that clean up well with scrubbing, so I've been trying to use less liner at all. I mostly use recycled aluminum foil for roasting things like squash that tend to burn on the pan, and save the parchment for baking.
Wow on that link!!! What a great and scary article. Thanks for sharing

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
That article was very informational. I don't use parchment paper very often and now I will use it even less. Its getting harder and harder to find natural products without chemicals.....

Coco's Dad

Sitting on the front steps

I’m not a scientist. It says what it says. Adequate ventilation while cooking helps and unless you’re a professional baker or you burn everything you cook, you’re probably going to be fine.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

I’m not a scientist. It says what it says. Adequate ventilation while cooking helps and unless you’re a professional baker or you burn everything you cook, you’re probably going to be fine.
Probably going to be fine is a rather big chance that is totally unnecessary to take with the life of a loved one...

Coco's Dad

Sitting on the front steps
I was referring to the Amazon product, not the study of the paper. And I stand by what I said, adequate ventilation and not burning what you cook will help too.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
To be honest I really don't use parchment paper very often and until recently I used waxed paper for most things. That being said, does anyone know about the silicone cooking mats as they claim to be a replacement for parchment paper and are reusable. I think I will stick with my cast iron and stoneware and be done with it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
To be honest I really don't use parchment paper very often and until recently I used waxed paper for most things. That being said, does anyone know about the silicone cooking mats as they claim to be a replacement for parchment paper and are reusable. I think I will stick with my cast iron and stoneware and be done with it.
I do not use baking paper even though there is a roll of it in my cupboard and has been for nearly ever and a day. I have silicone baking sheets, various cake forms and cupcake forms and even a silicone bag for the oven and we use them all the time, ours are good quality silicone as I would not be game to use the cheaper silicone.