• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which toys do doves/pigeons like?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
A poster on my knitting site rescued a pigeon when it fell out of a nest and was abandoned by its Mom. She named her Chicken and now she realizes that Chicken is too domesticated and cannot be let out into the wild. Chicken is an active bird who enjoys throwing around this poster's yarn and when I suggested toys, she asked me what toys a pigeon would like. She tried some cat toys but Chicken wasn't interested in them. For those with doves, what kind of toys should I suggest? Thanks in advance.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bump, I'm not sure who to tag for you but maybe this will help!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Mine dont really play with toys, so to speak, but do enjoy Q tips..

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I agree with Birdbabe. My close friend has two pigeons. They are house pigeons and pretty much run her place. :p She is cleaning up after them all the time, but they don't shred like parrots. Honestly they probably easier to allow free range of the house. She had a single male pigeon for several years before she brought in her 2nd rescue.

She gave her boy little things to stack and place around. Popsicle sticks, cotton swabs, toothpicks, basically an assortment of little things. He collects items in one spot, sometimes claiming items that aren't really bird safe like car keys. He ended up needing a toy for cuddling/sexual release. My friend bought him a pigeon sized grey plush toy. So that was fun for him. Now he has a girlfriend :cheekkiss:

Pigeons can forage, though they do not dig for food. They need their food in site and clearly identifiable, but you can encourage the bird to fly to different locations by placing small amounts of food around and changing the spots regularly. Don't conceal the food from sight.

Congratulations to her for getting a lovely companion. Pigeons are awesome! Very gregarious and sweet pets.

Most of the "wild" pigeons are actually feral domestic birds. Pigeons used to be a common meat bird, if you heard of squab. I feel like we are responsible to care for them, since we (humans) are the ones who brought them all around the world just to let them go to fend for themselves.

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Might a bit late, but my Blinky likes bells and a teddy bear. Though he is blind.... I'm planning to try a jingle ball. He really likes to play with perches and a rock. Boxes are loads of fun too. Not sure what he does with them, but... he spends a lot of time spinning around on top of it.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Might a bit late, but my Blinky likes bells and a teddy bear. Though he is blind.... I'm planning to try a jingle ball. He really likes to play with perches and a rock. Boxes are loads of fun too. Not sure what he does with them, but... he spends a lot of time spinning around on top of it.
I bet he likes the noise of his claws on the box. Just a thought, being blind, his sounds probably more amped up!