• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which species should I get?

Gracie_Bean

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
I'm getting a new baby! the problem is, I don't know which species I should get. The breeder I'm buying from has baby Caiques, Hahn's Macaws, and Indian Ringnecks on the way, so I'll be choosing from those. I did try to rescue before going to a breeder, but the nearest rescue center to me is 4hrs away, and they only have large birds such as cockatoos and macaws at the moment. I don't think I'm prepared to take in a large bird right now, which is why I contacted the breeder. I was hoping that owners of these species of birds could tell me a little bit about each of them and what your experience with them has been so far to help me better decide. Thank all so much!! :heart:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you haven't read them yet, please read the "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" threads on each of these species.

The good, the bad, and the ugly about caiques | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about Mini Macaws | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
The good, the bad, and the ugly about Indian Ringnecks. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

These three species are VERY different from each other in terms of energy level, outgoingness and the kind of interaction they want from a human. You must think very carefully about what you want from your avian companion, and, just as importantly, what you can offer.

Gracie_Bean

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
@tka Thank you for the good advice! I've been considering these breeds for a few months now and I have been doing my research. No matter what traits the bird has, it'll be loved and I'll accommodate for it's needs. Thank you for the links, I'll check them out right away.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
One step I think is helpful is to find youtube clips of the birds at their loudest, at their happiest and at their worst.

If they still fit after you can see them at their less glamorous moments I think you found the one. :D

I also think watching some videos of the birds in their wild setting is helpful. You can see how they interact with each other. How do they tell their friend they don't want to do something? How do they encourage their friend to explore or play? This will help understand their body language. Good luck researching :)

Gracie_Bean

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Update: I'm going to get a Caique! They seem like little fluff balls of energy. They're curious and playful which are traits that I love. Also, I'm going to be spending a lot of time with my bird, so having a bird that enjoys my company and wants to be around me is important. Hopefully the caique will bond to me and that'll be the case. They seem to be a quieter compared to other parrots, which is good. Personally, I don't mind how much noise the bird makes, but I share a wall with my neighbors, so I need to be considerate of them. I understand that caiques tend to have more dominance issues than other parrots, so I've been doing a lot of research on training methods. They have a bunch of personality and adventure in a small package. I'm so excited for our life journey together!

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of caiques. Congrats! They are wonderful.