• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which species is right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorningGloria

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Celeste
I have been looking for an addition to my flock (well, if you can call just me and Archy a flock :p) for about a year and I'm still pretty unsure about which bird I want.

I'm looking for a bird that tends to be (I realize they're all individuals) very active, playful and intelligent but still likes some cuddle time. They'd also have to be able to be left alone (with lots of solo entertainment of course) for about 9 hours a day including travel time for the next 2 years. After I finish school my schedule will be a lot more flexible as I'll only be working a few hours a day.

I'd like a bird that is very adaptable to new environments if they are well socialized and isn't likely to become a one person bird.

Here are the birds I am considering...

Golden Conure
Blue Crown Conure
Hahn's Macaw
Caique (recently added due to all the irresistable jojo and chickie pics and vids :D)

Should I add or remove any? Does anyone have any tips with the ones above?

There is also a very large possibility I will have kids at some point far, far into the future, so birds that have a reputation for being nippy or easily irritated by little ones (quakers, small conures) are probably best left off.

Thanks Roadies!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
What about a Poinus? or a Red Bellied Parrot? Maybe a cockatiel? I think all of those species are great, but I don't know much about Caiques or Mini Macaws, Joanna and a few other members can tell you about those. Saroj, and more members can tell you about caiques, hehe! I have 6 cockatiels so if you need advice/info for those, I will be glad to help.

MorningGloria

Real Name
Celeste
What about a Poinus? or a Red Bellied Parrot? Maybe a cockatiel? I think all of those species are great, but I don't know much about Caiques or Mini Macaws, Joanna and a few other members can tell you about those. Saroj, and more members can tell you about caiques, hehe! I have 6 cockatiels so if you need advice/info for those, I will be glad to help.
I've found that the African species tend to be too timid for Archy. He has a Senegal friend that definitely holds her own, but most others he just pushes around (sometimes, literally!). I could just be applying something very specific very broadly?

Hmm I never considered a cockatiel. I don't know much about them actually. The ones I've seen are usually untame. Are they good with kids? Do yours get along with your Sun?

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
You are asking a very BROAD ? here....and it is VERY HARD to say....
Reason is this....EACH bird is different and you can't say a single bird is going to fit what you are asking for....Even the bird you have now may not "like" when you have a child in the house....
I have never put my expectations on birds...I accept them for them, even with their attitudes etc....we all change over the years and birds/animals do also....
If you get another bird, it may not like the bird you have or the bird you have may not like it...and both birds may end up not liking you...
To me, I would rather have a bird choose me if possible...that means THEY see something in us that they feel comfortable/trusting with and are able to be a bit more acceptable to the things that change with us....JMHO:hug8:

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
My Hahn's is very "pinchy" so he wouldn't be a kid friendly bird. From what I've heard around here, the pinchs aren't unusual from our little feathered fiends :)

hsmoscout

It sound like you're desribing a conure. But caiques seem nice too :p I swear JoJo and Chickie are hypnotizing us all. And KoKo, Kiwi, Basil, Checkers, Lexi, Alton, Squee, Pumpkin, Pico, Tiki, and Pica aren't helping one bit!! (did I miss anybirdie?)

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
hmm.. what about a crimson bellied conure? Painted conure? .. uhhmm.. Meyers Parrot? I'm just throwing things out there. hehe

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I have been looking for an addition to my flock (well, if you can call just me and Archy a flock :p) for about a year and I'm still pretty unsure about which bird I want.

I'm looking for a bird that tends to be (I realize they're all individuals) very active, playful and intelligent but still likes some cuddle time. They'd also have to be able to be left alone (with lots of solo entertainment of course) for about 9 hours a day including travel time for the next 2 years. After I finish school my schedule will be a lot more flexible as I'll only be working a few hours a day.

I'd like a bird that is very adaptable to new environments if they are well socialized and isn't likely to become a one person bird.

Here are the birds I am considering...

Golden Conure
Blue Crown Conure
Hahn's Macaw
Caique (recently added due to all the irresistable jojo and chickie pics and vids :D)

Should I add or remove any? Does anyone have any tips with the ones above?

There is also a very large possibility I will have kids at some point far, far into the future, so birds that have a reputation for being nippy or easily irritated by little ones (quakers, small conures) are probably best left off.

Thanks Roadies!
I had a blue crowned conure a long time ago and she was a really nice bird. She did go through a period where she got a little territorial of her cage, but I moved the cage and worked with her and it went away. It was probably my fault too for not handling her enough. I would recommend this species.

Vicki

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
My advice to you is to not look into what species is right for you, but what bird is right for you. If you have a bird rescue near you, that'd be a perfect place to look. Interact with the birds and see which one you like. Let the bird pick YOU. Whatever you decide, good luck and I am sure you'll be happy with your decision! :hug8:

trout

Real Name
Bobby
I wouldn't pic the bird by the species unless you're really fascinated by a specific one.

I would just narrow it down by what species you would be able to take care of, and then go find a bird that picks you.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I agree, you should let the bird pick you!

MorningGloria

Real Name
Celeste
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!:hug8:

I totally get what everyone is saying about letting a bird pick you. That's what I did with Archy :) But I also wanted to rule out birds that just wouldn't fit. I LOVE Cockatoos and Greys but I know that my lifestyle isn't likely to make for a happy home for those birds regardless of how well we may get along. I don't expect a bird to conform to me, but I don't want to bring one into a situation I already know it can't handle.

Ideally, as trout said, I'd like to just narrow down the species and then let a bird pick me out of one of those. I guess I should have made that more clear

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Celeste, I know what you are saying. Start with the generalities, then the specifics of an individual won't be so overwhelming.
While a Hahn's definitely would hold his own against any bird that wanted to be bossy, I think they might not be right for the conditions you describe. They are playful and can entertain themselves, but the amount of time alone is excessive for them I think. They really seem to need more personal attention to avoid feather chewing problems.
They also can be nippy.
You mentioned a Senegal, and I think they or any of the Pois are a good thought. I recently almost adopted a wonderful Sennie, but he was snatched up by another and now I am learning a lot about the pois.
I am also a member of the JoJo & Chickie fan club and have my thoughts about caiques too. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.