• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which seed mix to try??

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
So I was given Moki's "favorite" mix from the store when I took her home, but it was brand-less in a bag they filled themselves and she really only eats the small seeds. The place is 3 hours away, and I'm not sure it's the best quality anyway. I have tried Goldenfeast Petite Legume hookbill blend, she eats some of it, but not really and a majority of it is wasted everyday. I have been putting the small seeds in a harrisons pellet mash to hopefully get her used to the taste of harrisons pellets which she will not touch if dry.

As far as seed mixes there are SO MANY out there, I was wondering if there is a 'healthier' seed mix. I looked through the forums but I couldnt find a healthy seed suggestion for cockatiels, who really only like tiny seeds. I'm not even sure what the seeds are that she's eating, I think millet and safflower? Should I try just getting millet and safflower from say, Harrisons website, or stick with a blend and hope she tries new things eventually? Theres so many options its overwhelming, so I welcome any suggestions your cockatiels love.

I did see one suggestion for Goldenfeast Australian blend, I could try that one.. any other suggestions?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
for seeds my go tos are usually Higgins, Volkman, or Goldenfeast :)

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
What about Higgens Protein egg food, would that be a good add on too?

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I buy Higgins Fruit and veggies (it's mainly seeds) and mix in extra canary grass seed and hemp seed. I've always wanted to try Tops but I'm not sure why I haven't. I'd still add canary grass and hemp, though. My birds love hemp seed and canary grass is a good lower fat seed.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My 'tiels get Volkman cockatiel no sunflower as well as Mazuri small bird maintenance pellets.

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
Thank you! I have volkman and goldenfeast Australian along with higgens protein otw! Moki did eat four whole pellets today before she demanded I mash it and mix seeds in. Progress!