• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which season i put budgies in breeding??

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Hi, I live in Southeast asia. I want to know which month and season I should put budgies in breeding?? Someone tell me in june and july and some people says march to july stop the breeding and put them in breeding to august to may. please tell me which season is best for budgie's breeding and which season is has less risk of budgies for health risk?? Thanks

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
For you it is risky no matter when they breed because you have no clue what you're doing and the birds will pay the price. Please don't breed them.

Just how were you going to "make them" breed?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
which season is has less risk of budgies for health risk?
They are all risky.

To breed any bird it is imperative that both parents are in extremely good health, eating plenty of fresh green veggies and there is an avian vet in the proximity.

It is also important to be able to find a good home for all the birds. If a bird is born splayed, or with a beak problem, will you be happy to keep it?

Do you have time to dedicate to them? Not all babies grow up by the book. There can be complications which you will need to know about before hand as there won't be time to find the answer in the moment. Knowledge and experience handfeeding is a must.

Egg binding is something else you must know about.

Don't walk into breeding lightly, birds aren't toys.

If you work a full time job or go to school full time then breeding is not an option for you.

Also like @JLcribber says, you can't make birds breed, and if you put incompatible birds together, they will fight and one could kill the other.

Considering you don't know when birds breed, I would strongly advise you do not attempt it.
I hope you understand.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think budgies tend to be winter/spring breeders but can breed other times of the year as well (some of the confusion may be due to some sources being based in the northern hemisphere).

But wild budgies don't really follow specific times of year - they mostly breed during the rainy season when there's more immature seeds, veggies, and other soft foods for babies.
Typically budgie show breeders will get their birds into breeding condition by providing much more soaked or sprouted seeds, fresh greens, veggies and eggfood, starting a few weeks to a month before breeding. It's good to provide smaller amounts of veggies and greens year-round, since they are healthy for budgies - but much more before breeding. They also need to be given plenty of calcium from a cuttlebone, crushed sterilized eggshells, or mineral block.
There is no season that is riskier for breeding. It's more about them being on a healthy diet before breeding and while feeding chicks. Also, overbreeding of females should be avoided for their health - but they are known to sometimes kick their babies out of the nest a little early so they can nest again. They need to be watched for this and if mom is picking on the babies at all, she might need to be removed from the cage (but kept nearby) and dad will usually finish caring for the babies.

Make sure you have good homes and time to care for the babies! Ideally, you will want to handle the babies while they are still in the nest so they grow up calm around people. Babies raised like this are much easier to tame, and easier to find good homes for.