• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which Room Heater I Use For Birds???

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Hi, I want to know about Heat lamp for parakeet. Which heat bulb or lamp is best for parakeets??? Can I use normal room heater for them or only I should use infrared heat lamp or bulb??? Many bird shop's owner suggest me to use this (see pictures)
infrared heat bulb.jpg 1. heat lamp.jpg 2. heat lamp 4.jpg 3. heat lamp 3.jpg 4

Does using this infrared heaters or lamp cause bird's health hazard or safe??? Kindly tell me. Thanks

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How cold is it in your bird's room? Why do you think you need a heat lamp?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Number one is the best to use for your bird - it emits heat only. Numbers 2 and 3 should never be used around birds - never. #4 I've never seen, but it looks interesting.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Number one is the best to use for your bird - it emits heat only. Numbers 2 and 3 should never be used around birds - never. #4 I've never seen, but it looks interesting.
This. I actually have #1 and have been considering setting it up again. I used to have a "bulky" one that didn't have a smooth finish (looked like this one) but after it broke, I replaced it with the #1 style.

Would not recommend #2 or #3. Wouldn't know about #4... it might be okay?

I'm not sure if I'll still set up the heat bulb since I have additional heat now for the room. I've always used them with the clamp on style lamp shades...

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I have type 1. I got it at the suggestion of my vet, to offer extra heat (since my bird is sick, he could use the help to keep him warm). It doesn't heat up much of the surrounding area, I'd suggest getting a thermometer to check the temp. Also get the right type of fixture, you'd want a ceramic socket.