• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which parrot was your least expected addition?

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Hmmmmm.....soon discovered I like my birds so much more than most people... (lord that sounds terrible) .... I keep saying I'm done....then Audrey pm'ed me about this poor guy.... and well all I can say is THANK YOU LOTS AUDREY!! Personality plus!

Now I hear of a retired cockatoo breeder hen.... hmmmm...

Last edited:

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
@Nikomania and katster and all -

I tried to mask my other identities with vagaries in my siggie, but if we are all going to come clean. - I am also a major horse person and dog person (Cairn terriers, rally obedience, into positive dog training), have a farm with wonderful barn cats, and so on and so on:confused: :joyful:. Wouldn't trade the menagerie for anything, including free time. :laugh:

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Kiwi was my most unexpected. Well, it was planned to go get her and be a foster, but she ended up becoming permanent. I think Reza had just come home so I went from 1 p'let to 3 in no time! I know they both came here last June.

Reza and Yoshi were thoroughly researched and I had to play the waiting game with them.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Both of mine were pretty unexpected, but Beeper was the most. I was just sitting at work when my neighbor texted a pic of her to me and said he found her on his roof :wideyed: I went and picked her up later when I got home. With Weeble, her old mom called my job trying to find a new home for her and when I mentioned being interested in Meyer's parrots but that I hadn't met one before, the lady showed up with her an hour later :wideyed: . Both popped into my life very quickly.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The lovebirds were ours, both were unwanted babies that were dropped off at the pet store to get rid of.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
mine was The Turk :pbbudgie: . I went out on my deck to water my plants. I was carrying to 2-5 gallon pails of water. The first pail was outside on the deck and as i turn to grab the other pail, this Turquoise bomb flew past my head into my apt. He was screaming his head off. he was fully flighted and and was inside of my cockatiel cage before i could blink my eyes. Tuffy and Rocky were freaked out. i closed my deck door and the drapes. opening the cage door to let Tuffy and Rocky out. as gently as i could i reached to grab this little invader. He promptly bite my hand, ok pal, we are going to do this the hard way, i guess. I got the bird net. i tried one more time to grab him, he flew onto my chest, ran up my shirt and bit the living heck out of my neck and face. i got him into my bathroom and the door closed along with toilet seat. i went back and got the other birds off the curtain rod. i pulled their dishes and dumped out all of their seed and water and popped them into the sink with plenty of hot water & soap. those 2 tiels were not happy campers either. i quickly set another cage for the little invader and took into the bathroom. the The Turk was sitting on top of the shower head. i got him in the cage with several more bites. i put food and water in the cage and left him in the bathroom. i got the other birds taken care of; clean dishes and calmed down.
The Turk moved into the bedroom for 45 days of quarantine. i looked and looked for his owners. i never found them. after the 45 days, he moved into the living room. he was with us for about 8 months. The Turk was Tuffy and Rocky's tormentor. he could slip thru the bars on their cage and eat everything in their cage even though he had the exact same treats in his own cage.
i end up with a few stitches, in my finger and on my neck from one little budgie.
I miss his fiesty little self.
:tiel2: and his mom
PS :tiel2: does not miss him at all. :lol:

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
No one was really unexpected. I guess Junior had the least amount of planning. Mordecai wins the most unexpected pet title in our house.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Koopa. We went to the pet store to look and after a few hours of debating ended up taking her home. The most unexpected part was that it was my husband's idea!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Piper. I didn't expect to be getting a lovebird the day I met him, I was actually considering a totally different bird. Everyone else had a certain level of thought and preparation involved.

Cyreen

All my parrots were expected, even if on short notice.

Ollie was a surprise, but she's not a parrot.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Well, I have to say Dagbert the chicken was probably our most unexpected but of the parrots, Amarillo DYHA was the one that took me for a loop as I had no idea I could fall head over heals in love with an Amazon. I didn't even have Amazon on the brain but I saw her videos and her pictures and something in my heart told me I had to meet her. Once I did...that was it! :heart:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Least expected?
Moby maybe?

I took him in 5 years ago in October from a The Perch member! As a foster. They didnt have any cockatoo experience and only had a timneh. He was from the MILs and was housed in a wired rabbit cage in a garage for 18 years! I fostered him to train him to step up and a fes other social behaviors.

I never heard back from them. So he's been a beloved family member since then.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Gotta be Keene (CAG).

After sending a special rehomed bird to her new house I stopped at the pet store to pick up some supplies. That rehome girl was the sweetest and I am sure put me in a mood to be with a bird. The pet shop had a single medium sized bird (rest were finches etc) She was an ekkie with no toys, alone feathers not the best and a rehome at only 10 months. Yep Holiday came home with me!

RadhaVallabhi

Vrindarika and Gopal were both pretty unexpected. We went to so many people who we paid and arranged to meet with to get two parrotlets , but one way or another it got sabotaged. When we finally ended up to go see Vrindarika and Gopal we weren't too sure if we would be getting them. Once we saw how sweet they were (and also noticed Vrindarika was very very sick) we knew we had to take them home the same minute in a cardboard box. Definitely unexpected!

Latency

Real Name
Ashley
Probably Pascal..
Though I didn't know ANYTHING when I got Kiwi and Loki (Got kiwi first, then a couple months later decided she needed a friend because she used to have a budgie companion in her old home.)
I saw Pascal on CL and didn't know anything about pionus. Searched and searched for hours and ended up bringing him home a few days later. He's been a complete joy, and a Velcro bird ever since. And his previous owner said he didn't like to step up... if we don't go get him, he'll cry or chase us around his cage! Hehe. :)

Callista15

Real Name
Callista(Cally)
All of my parrots were well researched.
Professor Bird was unexpected, but then she's not a parrot.

Hallie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sarah
My least expected addition was my 18yr old Maxi Pi.

I came into work and there was a post-it note with my name, a phone number and "fancy bird" written on it. A woman had asked around the city at the vet and pet stores trying to find a home for her girl. She said she kept getting my name, so she reached out to me. She was familiar with AA, fed Harrison's, and actually took her birds to the vet regularly... that's pretty rare for people around here! I told her I would foster Brady, because I didn't think Brady would enjoy being thrust into such a crazy environment (other birds, cats, dogs, snakes, etc) but she just loves it. I've now had her since February, and I have to say she's pretty dang happy here. :)