• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which parrot should I get?

Magnum

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi. I am looking to get a birdie. I had a budgie few years back, which I bought at a chain pet store. It took me some time to fully tame it but it died soon after, due to health issues. I now prefer to buy a hand-fed bird from a reputable breeder or owner. I own a small dog but I currently work from home so I have enough time to take care of another pet. I was going to buy another budgie but after doing some research I am also considering other birds which are a bit bigger. I am planning to spend $100-500 (without accessories).

Since some species have their temper, so I want it to be inteligent, playful and it would be great if it would be cuddly. It should be gentle and safe with small dogs and kids (I might have kids in the future). It would be wonderful if it had the ability to mimic human talk and not be too noisy.

Is there anything better than a budgie?

I was considering:
- Budgie
- Cockatiel
- Green Cheek Conure
- Quaker
- Pionus Parrot
- Rose-ringed parakeet

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I think a cockatiel would be the best fit. They can be very affectionate and are very intelligent. In my opinion no bird is superior to the mighty budgie but a cockatiel would generally be good with OLDER kids. I would not suggest having a house hold with a bird and many young children because they can bite. Your bird and dog should never mix. I’m not saying you can’t have a bird and a dog in the same house, just saying that you don’t know reactions so you should be various to keep them apart. All birds are messy, loud and can have temper and mood swings. Just because generally a species has a calm temperament does not mean it’s impossible to have a agressive bird. In fact, I have never met a bird that does not have a stage of aggression.
As for being noisy, I would check conjure off the list because they are generally pretty loud. Cockatiels whistle but usually don’t talk. Budgies can talk with training.
I’m not really knowledgeable about quakers.
@tka

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
I think a cockatiel would be the best fit. They can be very affectionate and are very intelligent. In my opinion no bird is superior to the mighty budgie but a cockatiel would generally be good with OLDER kids. I would not suggest having a house hold with a bird and many young children because they can bite. Your bird and dog should never mix. I’m not saying you can’t have a bird and a dog in the same house, just saying that you don’t know reactions so you should be various to keep them apart. All birds are messy, loud and can have temper and mood swings. Just because generally a species has a calm temperament does not mean it’s impossible to have a agressive bird. In fact, I have never met a bird that does not have a stage of aggression.
As for being noisy, I would check conjure off the list because they are generally pretty loud. Cockatiels whistle but usually don’t talk. Budgies can talk with training.
I’m not really knowledgeable about quakers.
@tka
I agree with budgieluv3, no birds are better than others they are all just different but I do see what you mean. Green cheek conures are quite, noisy needy and smart.
If you are looking for a bird that is not 'clingy' a budgie or two (they are VERY social animals) would be perfect. Its hard for birds to specifically fit criteria as well because each and everyone has their own personality that can't really be put into categories in regards to their species.
If I were you I would either go for two budgies, two cockatiels or one green cheek. How much time are you prepared to spend with this bird daily, will it get out of cage time, a good enough diet (pellets, chop), foraging toys etc.
They are very messy and noisy animals, its quite hard to get around that.
Birds in general aren't really a good idea with small kids, they can be skittish and bite. Again, its really hard to make a generalisation but I hope this helps :)
Birds are lovely animals but they really are a handful, good luck! I hope you find the bird(s) you are looking for:)

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I agree with budgieluv3, no birds are better than others they are all just different but I do see what you mean. Green cheek conures are quite, noisy needy and smart.
If you are looking for a bird that is not 'clingy' a budgie or two (they are VERY social animals) would be perfect. Its hard for birds to specifically fit criteria as well because each and everyone has their own personality that can't really be put into categories in regards to their species.
If I were you I would either go for two budgies, two cockatiels or one green cheek. How much time are you prepared to spend with this bird daily, will it get out of cage time, a good enough diet (pellets, chop), foraging toys etc.
They are very messy and noisy animals, its quite hard to get around that.
Birds in general aren't really a good idea with small kids, they can be skittish and bite. Again, its really hard to make a generalisation but I hope this helps :)
Birds are lovely animals but they really are a handful, good luck! I hope you find the bird(s) you are looking for:)
Very well said!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! If price is an issue, then knowing which country that you live in would be helpful.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels in general are very easy going, social birds. Males are more vocal- whistles, possibly a few words. They are not big talkers. One of my tiels says Whatcha doing? No bird is really safe with a dog. The whole predator/ prey thing and even the nicest dog shouldn't be trusted with a bird.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Cuddly, and safe with kids, are not applicable with parrots.
Parrots think cuddles equal sex and a mate.
Parrots bite, from play, jealousy, hormones, and at times for no reason us humans will ever know.

Intelligence is no problem, most of our parrots out manuveor us on a daily basis.
Some talk, some don't. It's hit and miss.
All make noise. Many of us have to leave the room to talk on the phone.
Peaceful TV will be a thing of the past.

A quiet parrot would be a stroke of pure luck.
You may find a sweet cuddly parrot, but that would be pure luck.

Dogs, even small ones are a danger to parrots.

If you want a parrot, want it for what it is, not what you want it to be.

Last edited:

Magnum

Thank you for your comments. Sorry that my post turned out to look like a kid looking for a perfect pet, that was not my attempt but my english is limited. My expression might not be there yet.

As for where I am located - I currently live on Florida, USA. Not too many breeders in my area unfortunately. Lots of breeders offer shipping but I am very concerned about shipping a tiny young bird.

I know that birds (and most animals) have their indiviual personality. I had a budgie which was cuddly and playful once tamed and never tend to show any aggression, but my wifes budgie was tamed fast but not cuddly at all and shown signs of aggression.

After making more research, I am considering either Cockatiel or Budgie. Cockatiel would probably not have the ability to mimic speech and might be louder, but thats not really a big issue. I am not sure if it is a myth but there tend to be two budgie species - English and American. American are more related to wild birds and English is what is used for bred parakeets. I never knew that there was a difference.

I would prefer to keep the bird outside of the cage as much as possible but I am concerned about the dog meeting with it when the bird lands on the floor.

I can spend a lot of time with the bird, I am working from home office where it would be hanging out with me.

Per your recommendations, I am considering either an English Budgie (seems perfect but I am worried abour their short lifespan), Cockatiel or Conure.

Last edited:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I am not sure if it is a myth but there tend to be two budgie species - English and American. American are more related to wild birds and English is what is used for bred parakeets. I never knew that there was a difference.
English and American budgies are the same species. There is two types American/Australian, and English. The American and Australian are the same.
Some English budgie owners are @Kiwi's Mom @Lady Jane there is some more I can't remember at the moment, I also have English budgies, but have not had them that long.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Whatever bird you get, it should never be free in the same areas of your home as a dog is roaming free- one mistake/ accident is all it takes and that is a very big chance that is being taken with the birds life. My dog (50+ kgs) is terrified of my birds but they are never out in the same room together- my bird torments my dog through the window and the dog runs away scared but one change in the circumstances could be death for my bird so I never gamble with his life and I keep them separated by doors and walls at all times. Kids and birds, well that is a mix that should always be supervised and the kids need to be taught continuously about respect and boundaries- budgies and well mannered gentle kids get along great!

I am personally not a fan of English budgies at all and I have never heard of any living a very long life so my personal recommendation for you is to get an Australian/American budgie, I honestly prefer natures version of all our lovely parrots than the versions humans messed with to make. Budgies fit a lot of the things you would like in a bird- but please do remember that no bird can be chosen or made to order and that they all really are very individual in their personalities.

@macawpower58 summed everything up nicely :)

Magnum

I just found few resque places and a bird store which has lots of species that are hand fed. I am going to visit these places next week and het more familiar with all the species.

I've read that a conure might be more problematic, since I am planning to have kids in few years, I will go with either a Budgie/English Budgie or Cockatiel.

Im often visiting my family members, so it would be great if I could take the bird with me. I assume it might be safer to put a harness on the bird.
Is it safe to put a harness on a Budgie? Or would ot be only an option with Cockatiel?

Are Budgies generally much better talkers than Cockatiels?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
With a bird that size it would likely be safer to use a travel cage. Both birds can have a harness used on them if they are trained for it.

Both birds can mimic human speech but there is no guarantee that any bird will mimic speech- best to have no desires regarding what noises your future bird will make then you will not be disappointed if it does not wish to copy people.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Budgies are great! I just got two on Friday. They are loud. I seriously wasn't expecting that volume level. Videos online don't do it justice.

If you're concerned about noise, I'd try to hear each species in person. So glad the largest bird I considered were budgies! They're completely silent once it's dark though.

I think my budgies say things to me. But they're not in a human language. They really like the sound of running water, for example, & talk about it.

Mine are re-homes. Maybe you'd like to go that route. There are birds offered for sale directly by owners.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think budgies have the potential to be good talkers. Cockatiels really aren't big talkers. I have had 3 boys, only one talks and it's just one phrase. But they are sweet birds.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Budgies are great! I just got two on Friday. They are loud. I seriously wasn't expecting that volume level. Videos online don't do it justice.

If you're concerned about noise, I'd try to hear each species in person. So glad the largest bird I considered were budgies! They're completely silent once it's dark though.

I think my budgies say things to me. But they're not in a human language. They really like the sound of running water, for example, & talk about it.

Mine are re-homes. Maybe you'd like to go that route. There are birds offered for sale directly by owners.
Running water and scrunching plastic bags gets my little guy going at warp volume, it’s the cutest.

Yes the tiny budgies are amazingly loud but their constant chatter is at a tone and volume I can handle (with many frequent breaks from it) whereas there’s some birds that are only a little bit larger that I really struggle to be around for more than five mins.
Great advice to hear the birds in person if possible!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Many great words of advice have already been shared. I just wanted to add that mimicking is very overrated. I spend most of my time trying to sound like my birds. Their calls are so amazing. If I want to speak to humans then humans are usually somewhere :D

In terms of sounds try to get exposure to the worst sounds the bird can make, the loudest for example. Each human has their own range of noises that they enjoy. Some people can handle macaw screams but can't handle cheeping lovebirds, or the opposite! So understand what your family can honestly handle. All birds will be noisy, and you should be welcoming this chatter. Birds vocalise for many reasons including keeping tabs with their flock which is a good thing.

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
Have you considered a Lovebird?

I'm fan-girling lately because we rehomed our Parrotlet (very happy ending) and our Lovebird (who was always a better fit for our family) has really shown us what a dream bird he is. He was noisier with the Parrotlet around (partly because the Parrotlet was an anxious bird) and although we're planning to acquire a second Lovebird (and are anticipating some noise again as a result), as a single bird he's very quiet.

He's easy to cage because of his size (relative to a larger bird requiring a larger cage, not because they don't need lots of space!), is small enough that he doesn't destroy toys in five minutes flat, is easy to maintain (his cage takes me 30 minutes to thoroughly clean once a week), is generally very affordable (that applies to the bird, his cage, and toys), has been great about accepting pellets, and is incredibly playful and personable. The only thing he's not is a talker.

I've had him six months and he'll already step-up on a hand, fly to someone across the room, sit and cuddle on a shoulder, and accept a "tickle tickle" (aka head scratch). He's very active and loves playing with his toys (although I switch them out every few days to keep his interest) and will even bathe in a saucer on the kitchen counter. He's fully flighted and we've never had an issue with him being difficult out of his cage or refusing to go back in. No bites to-date either (knock on wood). He's been an absolute joy to have!

Best of luck with your decision, acquiring a bird is always an exciting occasion :heart: