• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which one should I adopt?

BrightStar

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, all. I'm a newly registered member here, and looking for advise on adopting my very first Congo African Grey. My husband and I have decided that we're ready to get a parrot. We've done the research, brought toys, treats, cage, t-stand, food, etc. We don't have any kids, nor intend to in the future. We have our own business and work from home. We are rarely away for more than an hour, and do not travel much out of town.

After doing much research, we took a two hour drive to a parrot rescue, where we got to meet five beautiful African Greys. We were told we were not able to handle four of the five, because they were not too tame. We did handle the fifth, but didn't feel he was for us.

So, we've been watching for AGs on Craigslist, but have come across a dilemma that I need your advise on. We wanted to adopt an older AG (2 yrs or above) as we have read in a bird book that a baby may reject its family when it reaches sexual maturity at 2. But the ads for older birds that I've inquired about all turned out to be dead ends (location not actually where stated, one person even offered to ship the bird to me and that was a big red flag for us)

The two ads that look promising at the moment are for ten month olds. My understanding that a Grey of this age is still considered to be a baby. So, question is, are my husband and I right to be nervous of taking on a baby? Do they bond closely and then reject the family when older? Will a Grey of ten months need any different care to an older bird?

This would be our first time getting an African Grey, and our first time ownership of a bird. We had budgerigars and canaries as kids, but they were family pets and don't quite count for us as experience. We had been thinking that an older african grey would be best for new owners, because we might not have the experience to raise a ten month old to grow up without behavioural problems. Is this a valid point?

Thanks for the advise.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Greys can honestly develop behavioral problems at any age. I would keep checking around rescues and stay patient. Greys do end up in shelters relatively often. You'll eventually find one that fits you. Adopting can be a very rewarding experience but it can be hard to find the right fit. Just give it time. Have you looked into other species at all or are you completely set on greys?

Since you guys are first time owners I would recommend starting out just getting a single bird and then down the road when you get comfortable with that bird and settled in you can always look into adding a second at that point. One thing to really keep in mind is not all birds get along so that could mean having separate out of cage times to keep them from hurting each other.

BrightStar

Thanks, cosmolove. Yes,we did research other species but felt that the grey was the right match for us.

We definitely prefer to start out with just one bird. I am open to the idea of homing a Grey with behavioural problems once I have experience, and assuming we can meet the needs of having two birds.

But for now,the big question is really about age. Are we mistaken from being scared off of getting a baby (ten month old)?

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The bird will choose you, you'll know when you find your heart bird

BrightStar

Thanks. I'm certainly expecting that the bird will get a say in whether he or she comes home with us. But many of the ads I'm seeing are offering birds that are quite a drive away from us (3 or 4 hours each way). We certainly don't mind a drive, but I'd like to have some advise to get a fair idea of whether age is actually a consideration and if we should be only looking at the ones that are 2+ years.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I don't have any Greys and I only met a few, but, keep looking, it might take time. You'll know the right bird (sometimes solely because they decide that you are the right person) but when you click with them, the wait and the effort looking will all be worth it. I know there are hormones and things like that with the young ones but you adapt, a lot of people on here adopted young birds and I'm sure they'll be along to give you input. For me, it worked out that Sam was an older bird, I tend to like them better but, that is solely personal preference (most of my experience is with older birds).
I wish you the best of luck!

BrightStar

Thanks. We're still looking, but it seems we've had nothing but bad luck so far, as all the ads I contacted on Craigslist turned out to be in a location different to what was listed and was way too far away for us to drive to.

I'm noticing a lot of ads for pairs - usually male and female. Is it okay to seperate a pair that have been together for more than a year? I've been reluctant to persue any of those ads.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Not sure how much help i can be. I got Louise at 4 months. She is now 2 years 5 months. Her bond has strengthened over time. Articles I have read say that sexual maturity is anywhere from 3-7 years. She does attempt to regurgitate for my friend who is her favorite person but she hasn't rejected me or become problematic. I do try to make sure my friend spends time with Louise because she loves her and my friend is very good with birds, I think it is healthy for her to have that time and interaction. I would say that the behavior of preferring my friend is not new, it was evident from the beginning. But Louise and I do like to hang out together so it works.
Good luck with your search. Greys are a great bird.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please be careful on CL because there are many scammers there that say they have one of the more expensive species like a grey. I had a wonderful Timneh grey. She was from a wonderful breeder. I think when the right grey comes along you will know it. Look for bird clubs in your area and go to their meetings where you can network.
Are you in the U.S.?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Welcome to AA and your first experience with greys! You are correct that getting an older grey will lessen the chance that a grey will bond with just one person but I don't know that they are as known for this as other species are. I think that if you socialize the bird really well with everyone in the family, that it doesn't have to be an issue. Having said that, getting an older grey will definitely give you a pretty good idea of their true personality as they have already grown into it and they are likely to keep that personality.

As for Craig's List, yes, you have to be careful about complete scams as well as people just not telling you the truth about the bird. If you find a grey on CL I wouldn't worry so much about age and go meet the bird and see if things click. If you do see pairs, I wouldn't separate them and anyone who is selling them wouldn't either if they cared at all about the birds. I just recently took in a pair who have been pets all their life and just bonded in their last home. They are actually the sweetest birds and even though they are bonded to each other, they like human attention and ended up being a really good fit for our family.

I would say keep looking and try not to get discouraged. I would also go back to the rescue and try to interact with some of the other greys. Greys are funny, they may not like some people but could fall in love with you! Sit and talk to them through the cage bars at first and offer treats, you might be surprised!

Good luck in your search and have fun! Greys are awesome, especially when you find one who seems to choose you. Also feel free to ask any questions here that You have!