• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which of these toys are ACTUALLY bird safe?

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Hi! Seeking advice on the following toys because I’m a crazy nervous bird mom and always think everything is too dangerous for my bird.

My mom (lovingly) ordered a bundle of bird toys as stocking stuffers for my lovebird from Amazon. She doesn’t have a deep interest in informed bird care, so she doesn’t know what’s safe and not safe and just got a bunch of colorfully dyed wood toys, plastics, and jingle bells. I’m looking at them now and I’m wondering if any of these are safe at all. The Amazon page (PBIEHSR Bird Parakeet Cockatiel Toys, 19 Pcs Pet Bird Cage Swing Hammock Shoe Chewing Toy Hanging Bell Wooden Perch for Conures, Love Birds, Finches, Budgie https://a.co/d/blMBdov) says they’re dyed with safe edible natural dyes and that it’s natural wood. Even the metal links and hooks seem very thin and flimsy to me but she *is* a lovebird, not a macaw.

Inserting pics for opinions on which toys I should leave out/modify. Thinking the shoe toy is definitely out or I should at least cut off the shoelace caps, and all the bells need to go as a starting point. Thanks! 36254309-4AA3-4EC5-ADF1-8EE87AFB3BAF.jpeg 56675B0F-7897-4F5B-AA2A-760AEF2DBD6F.jpeg D1457F11-EF51-4C7C-9B6D-06B892020DA6.jpeg AFEA81B4-DB39-4CDF-A731-C05867CBA291.jpeg 31B55C2C-7E94-4566-A655-1DA223A341FA.jpeg 496184C0-E203-493C-84EE-EDA721C47FA9.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m fussy so I might not be the best to help here as I’d personally either send them back or strip them for the plastic beads and piff the rest.
I don’t like the hooks for hanging them at all and won’t use those for my budgie.
The bells are all very dangerous bells, I’d not use them.
Many people offer these mini shoes, I’m not sure how I fell about them myself nor what dangers might be present.
I can’t understand how natural dyed wood ends up so shiny like the beads on your swing and other toys so anything with those shiny beads I’d personally not use.
If the metal used is SS then that’s a bonus but from a quick look it appears like there may be more than one type of metal used between the chain, hanging hooks, o ring clips and metal used in the hanging ladder thing.
I’ve not seen the O ring clips that holding the bells on some of those toys used for birds before and I have no clue if they’re safe.
I honestly have no clue what the things are in the last pic so can’t offer my thoughts on those.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think Zara uses those shoes & hasn't had an issue. I'd watch how they play with the toys. If they chew the varnished beads, take them away.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The jingle bells are 100% not safe.

The lanyard hooks are also not safe.

The metal O rings are not safe.

The shoes used by most bird companies do not have metal openings. I'll attach a photo of one of the ones by Super Bird. If you can remove those it might be okay.

I would not use any of the metals at all and restring on a safe rope, skewer, etc.

Screenshot_20221223-153132.png

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn’t use any of that stuff. It all looks very unsafe to me. If your mom really wants you to be able to use the toys she gives you, she has to order from bird safe places.

By the way, always listen to your misgivings. Better safe than sorry with your bird’s life on the line.

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
The jingle bells are 100% not safe.

The lanyard hooks are also not safe.

The metal O rings are not safe.

The shoes used by most bird companies do not have metal openings. I'll attach a photo of one of the ones by Super Bird. If you can remove those it might be okay.

I would not use any of the metals at all and restring on a safe rope, skewer, etc.

View attachment 419807
Thank you!!! So far I’ve managed to remove all the metal from around the shoe laces, trying to figure out what to do about hanging it and the bridge/ladder.
All bells, lanyard hooks, and o rings gone too!! Thank you so far for everyone’s awesome comments!

I wonder if I can/should/need to put the toys in boiling water to strip away the dyes?

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
I wouldn’t use any of that stuff. It all looks very unsafe to me. If your mom really wants you to be able to use the toys she gives you, she has to order from bird safe places.

By the way, always listen to your misgivings. Better safe than sorry with your bird’s life on the line.
Yup, I really feel that way but it seems such a shame to waste and I know it would hurt her to act fussy or ungrateful. That’s why I want to see if I can spare or modify some to make safe, but I totally agree.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you!!! So far I’ve managed to remove all the metal from around the shoe laces, trying to figure out what to do about hanging it and the bridge/ladder.
All bells, lanyard hooks, and o rings gone too!! Thank you so far for everyone’s awesome comments!

I wonder if I can/should/need to put the toys in boiling water to strip away the dyes?
Not a bad idea :) if wood things are shiny they could be lacquered, so if they stay shiny after boiling I would not use those. But not shiny should be fine, especially if it leeches into the water. Water based dyes are *usually* safe and will bleed in water.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The toys I have seen at the $2 shop that look exactly the same as these ones pictured definitely have some kind of sealer on them to make them shiny and the swing type ladders were made with gal wire not SS and this ladder looks to be the same- they even had the same dangerous lanyard hooks.

Maybe word your mum up on bird toy safety so next time everyone can enjoy the toys she buys. My mum brought home a few things a pet store recommended as treats and toys for Burt- I had to laugh at the millet they sold her for a B&G macaw and some of the other stuff was really a tad amusing too- she now sends photos and calls to ask questions before buying anything.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
What you may want to do so as not to hurt your mom, is re string all the safe toy parts differently and she may not notice that some are missing, also get some safe bells and put them on instead, again your mom may not remember which bells were on, then gradually show her some of the bird safe websites that are through the vendors here and point out the quality of the toys, to encourage her to buy from those if she ever wants to spoil the birdies again…was a lovely thoughtful surprise. :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would put the bells into a small clear bottle and do the lid up tight enough that your little one cant get it off. All my small birds (except the current one) in the past loved pushing empty bottles about and I can only imagine how much more fun they would have found it with a fun bell sound.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Hi! Seeking advice on the following toys because I’m a crazy nervous bird mom and always think everything is too dangerous for my bird.

My mom (lovingly) ordered a bundle of bird toys as stocking stuffers for my lovebird from Amazon. She doesn’t have a deep interest in informed bird care, so she doesn’t know what’s safe and not safe and just got a bunch of colorfully dyed wood toys, plastics, and jingle bells. I’m looking at them now and I’m wondering if any of these are safe at all. The Amazon page (PBIEHSR Bird Parakeet Cockatiel Toys, 19 Pcs Pet Bird Cage Swing Hammock Shoe Chewing Toy Hanging Bell Wooden Perch for Conures, Love Birds, Finches, Budgie https://a.co/d/blMBdov) says they’re dyed with safe edible natural dyes and that it’s natural wood. Even the metal links and hooks seem very thin and flimsy to me but she *is* a lovebird, not a macaw.

Inserting pics for opinions on which toys I should leave out/modify. Thinking the shoe toy is definitely out or I should at least cut off the shoelace caps, and all the bells need to go as a starting point. Thanks! View attachment 419786 View attachment 419787
I don't like the look of any but the Witcher balls. Never use Jingle Bells, toes can get stuck. I'm not a fan of the type of metal chain, again toes getting caught. That type of clips to hook to cage the are not a good idea. I don't think I'd use any of them.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Don't know what happened BUT none are safe. Non Bird people shouldn't buy toys for birds. My mother use to buy toys for my guys and they were so large They'd scared a Eagle half to death.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My twin did the same thing first toy she bought. It was at least 1.5' long. I use parts of it. :)

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Thank you guys for your great suggestions!! Sorry I didn’t realize the chat was still popping off!! I took the toys apart and saved what I could and dragged my mom to a local store with me while I went shopping and showed her the goods.