• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which material is better for bird feeder ?

Lucas2019

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maria
I have my bird feeder for quite a while and I want to change them for a new one . Currently I have the plastic ones . Which material is better for them the stainless steal or the the plastic ones ? I need to order two of them soon.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I prefer SS :)

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Thanks I will check but I don’t know where to find it I only see one on amazon but they are small I want something about the size of the link I post above

Chipster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dave
From what I’ve read stainless steel should be the material of choice because the plastic ones can harbour germs because they’re not so easy to keep clean

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use only Stainless Steel and Ceramic. Plastic degrades over time, and even while washing it gets little tiny abrasions in it that hold onto bacteria and help it grow faster. Stainless steel and ceramic do not have this same issue.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The plastic cups you posted are 3.5 inches across, 2.75 inches deep, and 1.75 inches tall.

I've used several of these over the years:

The 8 oz is the size I've used for a green cheek all the way to Jardine's size :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks I will check but I don’t know where to find it I only see one on amazon but they are small I want something about the size of the link I post above
One of our vendors sells stainless steel coop cups in a 5 oz and 10 oz size. I've purchased the 5 oz stainless steel from her and like them. They are small but since food needs to be replenished daily it's a great size for what ever you need it for. I already have larger stainless cups for them.
@Love My Zons

Looks like she's out of stock on the smaller ones but here's a link to the 10 oz cup. You can message her and have her order the smaller ones too.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
From what I’ve read stainless steel should be the material of choice because the plastic ones can harbour germs because they’re not so easy to keep clean
That’s what I am afraid of , I always wash the. Twice a day

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
One of our vendors sells stainless steel coop cups in a 5 oz and 10 oz size. I've purchased the 5 oz stainless steel from her and like them. They are small but since food needs to be replenished daily it's a great size for what ever you need it for. I already have larger stainless cups for them.
@Love My Zons

Looks like she's out of stock on the smaller ones but here's a link to the 10 oz cup. You can message her and have her order the smaller ones too.

thank you !!! I will get the stainless steel!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
SS is my preferred choice too. Easy to clean and disinfect and does not break down or become compromised over time.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
The plastic cups you posted are 3.5 inches across, 2.75 inches deep, and 1.75 inches tall.

I've used several of these over the years:

The 8 oz is the size I've used for a green cheek all the way to Jardine's size :)
Do they last ? I wonder if it fit any cages

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Stainless steel or ceramic all the way - easy to clean, easy to disinfect and durable.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Thanks guys I order them already !!! I hope he doesn’t messed them up like the last one I bought hahah