• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which is better?

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I didn't know if I should put this thread in feathered food court or here, If it needs to be moved please do!

So I was wondering if stainless steel bowls are better than plastic for water... I know SS is recommended, but what about rust? I would need to replace it every time it rusted, so like every few months. That really adds up and will get expensive. If I kept the plastic then it would be emptied and refilled when I see any poop/food in it, and washed with soap and brush every day. What about ceramic? I can't seem to find any ceramic bird food bowls anywhere... Any suggestions? Anyone have any SS bowls that haven't rusted?

Thanks!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My wingabago carrier bowls don’t rust. I’m forgetting the brand atm. Also as bowls I bought with as ring don’t rust. Give me a few hours and I’ll look it up

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
SS should not rust.

None of my ss bowls have rusted- I still have a few of them from when I first got my kids ferrets over 15 years ago. Well used not a spot of rust. The whole point to using SS is that it is easily cleaned and sterilised and it should last just about forever!

I’m not sure why you believe they’ll rust in a few months time.

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Kings cages rusts a&e rusts

the bowls in my link have not rusted

Last edited:

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Weird, every SS bowl I've found has reviews that say they rusted within months.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Weird, every SS bowl I've found has reviews that say they rusted within months.
I can only assume we get higher quality SS pet bowls here then. I’ve had two bowls I bought that seemed a bit iffy- Burt snapped them both not long after getting them but every other SS bowl I have is fine and heaps of them have also been used in the oven.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I can only assume we get higher quality SS pet bowls here then. I’ve had two bowls I bought that seemed a bit iffy- Burt snapped them both not long after getting them but every other SS bowl I have is fine and heaps of them have also been used in the oven.
Do you have any links? Thanks!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I just ordered six and only got 4 and now it says out of stock

I won’t recommend them though in case they rust on you. I threw out all the kings cages junk bowls and my 5 year old a&e bowls rusted. Replacing the a&e with these.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I really hope they don’t rust on you. I don’t think I’ve heard anyone here complain about coop cups rusting.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
That's so weird. Thanks everyone! looks like I just need to start looking places other than amazon. :lol:

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Chiming in to say I’ve had a couple of my SS ring cups for around 10-12 years (for the zebra finches before BellaBelle GCC came home -have had BellaBell’s SS cups for more than 6 years) and have never had rust, either

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My tiel, Charlie, came to me with plastic bowls that had been allowed to get absolutely filthy (see picture). The nastiness was embedded/etched into the plastic and was so bad that there was no possible way to get them clean. I had to throw them away and buy new ones.

IMG_0733.jpg
(This is the photo I was sent before adopting him. Poor guy lived like this for seven years).

I have a variety of stainless bowls for my birds and have never had rust or an uncleanable mess.

To be fair, I've also had plastic bowls and they never reached anything like this state, but I HAVE had them crack/break.

If you have a choice, definitely go with stainless.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
My tiel, Charlie, came to me with plastic bowls that had been allowed to get absolutely filthy (see picture). The nastiness was embedded/etched into the plastic and was so bad that there was no possible way to get them clean. I had to throw them away and buy new ones.

View attachment 375067
(This is the photo I was sent before adopting him. Poor guy lived like this for seven years).

I have a variety of stainless bowls for my birds and have never had rust or an uncleanable mess.

To be fair, I've also had plastic bowls and they never reached anything like this state, but I HAVE had them crack/break.

If you have a choice, definitely go with stainless.
Poor guy! I couldn't imagine living in something so small for so long. It's great that you rescued him!

aweb

Meeting neighbors
I didn't know if I should put this thread in feathered food court or here, If it needs to be moved please do!

So I was wondering if stainless steel bowls are better than plastic for water... I know SS is recommended, but what about rust? I would need to replace it every time it rusted, so like every few months. That really adds up and will get expensive. If I kept the plastic then it would be emptied and refilled when I see any poop/food in it, and washed with soap and brush every day. What about ceramic? I can't seem to find any ceramic bird food bowls anywhere... Any suggestions? Anyone have any SS bowls that haven't rusted?

Thanks!
Stainless steel used for food prep shouldn't rust. I've never seen pet dishes made from SS rust, ever, but I'm not saying it can't happen. But I'll tell you why I won't use plastic dishes with animals... the plastic will scratch long before you see it. There will be micro scratches that harbor bacteria, that won't wash clean completely. Unless you plan on not only washing, but thoroughly disinfecting your water dishes after every change, I would recommend SS or crockery. I use a lot of glass and actual heavy crocks with my animals. From guinea pigs to hamsters, to the cattery (I bred for a few years), to both birds... of course both of mine are too small to toss the glass bowls around, but the Quaker will pick up a SS bowl and toss the contents. As second choice I would only use the metal bowls that come for the specific cage I have. Replacing them every 2ish years would be worth it in my opinion.
As far as ceramic specifically for pets, yes here in the US you can find them at any pet store. I'll tell you that you can save yourself a pretty penny when you go to second hand and thrift stores, or look what Aunt Betty has to spare. The animals don't care if there's 70's style blossoms or carrots painted on them.

Last edited:

aweb

Meeting neighbors

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Stainless steel used for food prep shouldn't rust. I've never seen pet dishes made from SS rust, ever, but I'm not saying it can't happen. But I'll tell you why I won't use plastic dishes with animals... the plastic will scratch long before you see it. There will be micro scratches that harbor bacteria, that won't wash clean completely. Unless you plan on not only washing, but thoroughly disinfecting your water dishes after every change, I would recommend SS or crockery. I use a lot of glass and actual heavy crocks with my animals. From guinea pigs to hamsters, to the cattery (I bred for a few years), to both birds... of course both of mine are too small to toss the glass bowls around, but the Quaker will pick up a SS bowl and toss the contents. As second choice I would only use the metal bowls that come for the specific cage I have. Replacing them every 2ish years would be worth it in my opinion.
Oh yeah totally I know plastic bowls harbor bacteria easy. I guess they haven't been in stock, when I posted there was only 1 option on amazon. I looked again today and see plenty of options, reading the reviews from that one and a few others that were left in stock had me thinking they all rusted, I guess the ones left were the ones everybody avoided because of bad quality. Thanks everyone!

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Poor guy! I couldn't imagine living in something so small for so long. It's great that you rescued him!
Honestly, I still feel guilty about the circumstances around his adoption. We had just gotten a 2nd bird, and Boyfriend mentioned this fact at work.

His coworker was like "wait... you like birds? Want mine? You can have it for free. I got it for my kid and she's lost interest."

So boyfriend comes home and relays the message. At this point, it was unclear on whether we were even talking about a cockatiel or a cockatoo. Coworker didn't know which he had.

I said. "Well, we just got this 2nd bird, and I don't know if we can really handle a third. Let's see how things go before we promise anything."

So a month goes by, and 2nd bird is settling in nicely. Coworker re-ups the offer... still isn't sure if tiel or too (and my house is way too small for a too). So I say, "have him send you a picture."

And that's what he sent.

I took one glance and was like "ok, we're taking this bird today. I don't care if we have to turn right around and rehome him. We're getting him out of there immediately. "

But damn... a whole month. Here I was playing with my first bird and enjoying getting to know the second. Going to work. Walking the dogs. Sleeping in my comfy bed. Every moment of that time, while I was enjoying my happy little family, Charlie was sitting in that cramped, filthy cage with no foreseeable escape.

I could have gotten him out a month sooner.

Last edited:

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Honestly, I still feel guilty about the circumstances around his adoption. We had just gotten a 2nd bird, and Boyfriend mentioned this fact at work.

His coworker was like "wait... you like birds? Want mine? You can have it for free. I got it for my kid and she's lost interest."

So boyfriend comes home and relays the message. At this point, it was unclear on whether we were even talking about a cockatiel or a cockatoo. Coworker didn't know which he had.

I said. "Well, we just got this 2nd bird, and I don't know if we can really handle a third. Let's see how things go before we promise anything."

So a month goes by, and 2nd bird is settling in nicely. Coworker re-ups the offer... still isn't sure if tiel or too (and my house is way too small for a too). So I say, "have him send you a picture."

And that's what he sent.

I took one glance and was like "ok, we're taking this bird today. I don't care if we have to turn right around and rehome him. We're getting him out of there immediately. "

But damn... a whole month. Here I was playing with my first bird and enjoying getting to know the second. Going to work. Walking the dogs. Sleeping in my comfy bed. Every moment of that time, while I was enjoying my happy little family, Charlie was sitting in that cramped, filthy cage with no foreseeable escape.

I could have gotten him out a month sooner.
Wow, that's terrible. You shouldn't feel bad about waiting a month though. You didn't know what situation he was in, and you wanted to make sure you could even handle another bird. Very reasonable IMO. And the important thing is that you took him and he is safe and happy now.