• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which is better constant chatter or mostly quite, but loud calls?

ItsAmandaYall

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Amanda
I REALLY, REALLY want a GCC but, with the husband's noise sensitivity I was thinking of getting a parrotlet. But I thought I'd ask what is more annoying a bird that chatters constantly, or a bird that is mostly quite but has loud calls? I keep getting people who say GCC make great apt. birds and then people who say they can hear them from outside their house. Any ideas on sound proofing or other suggestions? Should I stick to the parrotlet? Or should I be looking into something completely different? Thank you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think that depends on the person, really! I prefer when my birds are chattering and talking in the bird room all day to the SHRIEKS they let out for various reasons.

I will say that between my Quaker, Green Cheek, and Hahns - it's when my Green Cheek starts her shrieks that I am looking for my ear plugs :p This is one of the noises in particular that make me wish I was deaf:

While usually quiet (not a lot of chatter) if she gets really worked up, she will seriously make this noise for an hour. That's not often, but it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inheavenlygrass

Walking the driveway
Constant chatter is waaaaaay more irritating. My GCC Kiwi is very quiet and only calls when I'm leaving the house, when I'm coming home or when she knows I'm home and haven't let her out to play on her playstand yet. Oh, and she "sings" in the shower :p At work it's always the budgies and finches who make constant noise that get on my nerves. The conures are practically silent next to them.

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Awwww Koopa. (I so miss those cheekie noises)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My cockatoos are mainly quiet. :D They occasionally sound off. Twice a day.

;)

Sorry I'm not much help.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
It depends on the person. Some people can't abide the chatter and chirping of budgies, but are just fine with a macaw screaming a few times a day. Other people think the sound is calming or soothing. It all comes down to what a person can handle. Why don't you find some video of chattering parrotlets and play it on a loop, see how you handle it.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Different strokes for different folks.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I have a chatty one and a quiet one with very loud calls. Hands down chatty one. Note every bird is different. I have 2 pionus which are labeled good apt birds. One of my birds would not be a good apt bird. Love them both.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I don’t have a P’let, but when I had just the one GCC, she was really quiet, you wouldn’t even know she is there most of the time. Your husband may be able to handle a bird that is mostly quiet but with loud calls vs constant chatter (could get too much since he has noise sensitivity), we have Budgies who are constantly chattering, and I actually quite enjoy it, some people don’t though. :shrug: In my opinion, spending one-on-one time in person with which ever species someone wants is the best thing to do, you are more than likely to find what their personality is like, noise capability, etc etc, overall, if they are a good fit.

sweet francis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
lindsey
I vote lovebird ;).
(Clearly, I'm not much help either.)

briabelletee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bria
It also depends on the bird, my two gcc our totally different . You could get lucky like me with a gcc who chatters non stop plus the typical conure Im happy to be alive screams. Im an apartment dweller and i can hear my birds when were outside grilling AND when we put our key in the door, and honestly the noise doesn't bother me one bit... They're totally worth it.

I know my neighbours can hear them but they haven't complained yet. To be honest i don't think they no where it comes from:D

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
It really depends on the person, each person can tolerate different amounts/types of noise. My parrotlet and budgie are quite loud - screams and chatter. Mali is fairly quiet, sounds off only a few times a day.

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
I have 4 GCCs out the my aviaries and unless they are sounding of one of their "Ahh a big scary bird just flew over" calls I would hardly know they were out there, when I'm hand-raising bubs they are very quiet in the house as well with mainly their cute little chattery voices that aren't very invasive at all, they are certainly my quietest birds.
But to answer your question I would probably say a bird that is quiet most of the time but has a 'Happy Hour' squawking session suits me better.