• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which combination of birds?

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Hello!

I am building an aviary soon, and was wondering which type of birds would go well?

I have a four year old english budgie who is ok with other birds, two zebra finches, and 3 quail.

I was considering getting a bourke, or a few ringneck doves.
Would these birds be ok together?

Also, would doves eat canary seed, budgie seed, or aviary mix?

Thanks

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The birds you have are all that will fit in one aviary. You don't say how big this aviary is going to be. You will need a second large aviary.

Let me be up front xgreenbudgiex. Every time you post it's "I want to get more birds" "I'm getting more birds that I don't know anything about and I'm just going to put them all in an aviary". Then when you don't get an answer within an hour of posting you "bump" multiple times. This shows inherent "impatience". The exact opposite of what you need.

The reason you don't get any response is because those of us bird owners who know and been around see red flags flying every time you post you probably don't want to hear that advice. You're very young (because I can tell). Your only focus seems to be in acquiring more birds? Why?

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Ok, there are a few things I need to explain.

The quail have their own pen, and will only be put in the aviary for a short amount of time, to clean up seeds, And that is why I mentioned them.
I also have to get something that will not try to kill them.

And my english budgie needs a friend or two, and my finches are too busy nest building to be that friend for him.
I was thinking a bourke, because they are similar to budgies, and are much quieter.

That is the other issue. I need something that won't scream its head off all day, And that is why I can't get another budgie. People always say that two budgies are way louder than one.

The aviary I am building is a decent size, rat proof, and weather proof. So I just need a type of bird that Isn't loud, Wont kill my quails, and will be there for larry to interact with when I'm gone.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The aviary I am building is a decent size
Excuse my 40 years of professional construction experience but I'm not familiar with "decent". Just how many feet is that?

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
I haven't measured it yet, but about 3-4 meters both ways. Its a square, and quite big.

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Then when you don't get an answer within an hour of posting you "bump" multiple times. This shows inherent "impatience". The exact opposite of what you need.
Well, the other websites I use do this to keep the thread alive, do people here at AA not do this?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well, the other websites I use do this to keep the thread alive, do people here at AA not do this?

They do, but on a weekday when people have work and school the next morning, people aren't ignoring you, they just simply aren't on :) Give it 12-24 hours before bumping ;)

It's all going to depend on the actual size of the aviary :)

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Ok, thanks :)

I think it would fit my budgie, a pair of finches, and a dove... :D