• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which canary variety is this?

Columba

Moving in
Real Name
Columba
Hello!
I recently rehomed what we think is a female canary after her owner died. I’m just interested in what specific variety she may be? Photos are in a temp cage; she is getting her own cage with natural perches and I think she has scaly feet so I’ve bought some treatment.

61271F4C-05BB-4723-8F04-CC984103B218.jpeg
3D2C88F8-2BF3-4479-BE0A-D12B7BD93DE5.jpeg

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
:geek: A mosaic canary! And a nice one. Great find. I’ve been looking for a mosaic hen for 6 months with no luck.

She does have scaly feet, I believe it’s in her beak too, up around the nares. Good call.

She’s banded; what year does the band say?

Edit: speaking of the band - is hers tight??

Columba

Moving in
Real Name
Columba
:geek: A mosaic canary! And a nice one. Great find. I’ve been looking for a mosaic hen for 6 months with no luck.

She does have scaly feet, I believe it’s in her beak too, up around the nares. Good call.

She’s banded; what year does the band say?

Edit: speaking of the band - is hers tight??
Thanks everyone!! Aww I’m glad she’s a special girl. She escaped after her owner passed and was in the wild for nearly a week before being recaptured. The vet gave her the all clear, but they didn’t mention her scaliness which is odd, but I’ll be sure to treat her. Her band isn’t tight and I’m able to move it, I think her year is 2018 (it has 18 on it which is what I presume that means) :) so she’s around 3-ish! :heart:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I was asking the age because older birds do have some scales— not like that! But someone is bound to say it eventually... anyway 3 is not old so please do treat for it.

What a harrowing experience! I’m glad she’s safe with you now.

Columba

Moving in
Real Name
Columba
I was asking the age because older birds do have some scales— not like that! But someone is bound to say it eventually... anyway 3 is not old so please do treat for it.

What a harrowing experience! I’m glad she’s safe with you now.
Sounds like she's had quite the adventure - hopefully enough to last a lifetime & she can settle in at your home. :)
Thanks guys!! Yes she’s getting a forever home with me :xflove: she’s called Sunshine (Sunny) and I’m already totally in love with her chirping. She’s in the same room as my solo budgie (her cagemate passed away not long ago but she seems happier on her own than sharing), so they can see and hear each other. Do you think I should get Sunny a cagemate or will she be ok? I’ve never kept a canary before and read conflicting things online. I also don’t 100% know she’s a female, it’s just assumed by her behaviour.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I always do cagemates. They’re flock birds after all

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
She’s in the same room as my solo budgie
Because they’re in the same room I’d treat both sunny and your budgie for mites just in case, don’t want to end up with a cycle of mites hopping from bird to bird.

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
While I love cockatiels, boys are notorious for "getting busy." My mom eventually removed his favorite stick to do his thing.