• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

which cage?

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
I'm looking at getting one of these cages for ace. I found them both for the same price. I just don't know what one to pick.
I can't find any pictures with full dimensions. I would like to know the size of the front door but cant seem to find it. I also would like the breeder door on the right side as I'm looking at the cage but cant tell what side its on.
I also cant see the type of latches on the doors.
I can't pick what top I like better either.

King cage 8003223
size of the front door 24-1/2 x 9-1/2″
inside height from top to bottom grill 30-1/2

vs

a&e PlayTop Cage
Size of the front door I cant find
Interior Height: 30″

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I'm looking at getting one of these cages for ace. I found them both for the same price. I just don't know what one to pick.
I can't find any pictures with full dimensions. I would like to know the size of the front door but cant seem to find it. I also would like the breeder door on the right side as I'm looking at the cage but cant tell what side its on.
I also cant see the type of latches on the doors.
I can't pick what top I like better either.

King cage 8003223
size of the front door 24-1/2 x 9-1/2″
inside height from top to bottom grill 30-1/2

vs

a&e PlayTop Cage
Size of the front door I cant find
Interior Height: 30″
I have several of the A&E Playtop cages. They are by far my favorite. Sturdy...however, I have cheekies and my largest is my sun and gold cap conure. I don't think it would be a great size for a grey. If you can go a bit bigger, I would.

another cage I cam across is

Deluxe Parrot Bird Cage w/ Playtop

I really like how he can just walk out of the cage onto the stand.
This one is really deceptive in size. Birds migrate to the highest point so you'll likely have him confined mostly in the upper dome part. Two thumbs down in my opinion.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Is this for a grey? I'd also recommend a much bigger cage for a grey. I kept my CAG in a 34" long cage for awhile and it just wasn't enough space.

I upgraded her to a King's corner cage and love it. I know it tends to retail closer to $1,000 but I got it on sale for about $800, which is only about $200 more than the cages you linked.

I think the really tall, wide cages marketed more toward macaws and cockatoos are great for greys.

Good luck!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yea its for Ace my gray. He only has 1 foot and 1 wing. He's full of arthritis and doesn't get around much. He's also a fall risk so can't have to tall a cage.
That makes a lot of sense. Those cages look good, although I'm not a huge fan of the third one. Good luck!

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
I can get him a nice huge cage for almost the same price but for him that would be a bad idea. Way to long a drop. I mean the width and length are nice but he really only useing about a l shaped piece of his cage now and I really like the idea of giving him away to crawl out of the cage to hang out. Atm he crawls out of his breeder door and just sits there as theres no reall top to hang out on.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
His cage atm is a little bigger then the 2 im looking at he'd lose 5x2 inches but gain a playtop to hang out on

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Don't think the 3rd one with the narrow high round top section would be useful. The bird with one foot of a grays sixze might not do well on the top part only 18 inch wide. Also the high dome would be hard to sit on top but the playtop is nice but only 18 inch wide. Half the cage like that makes it hard to use. You also could not hang toys on the high dometop if the bird could not have safe access to that area. Also I see some scrolled bars on the bottom near the tray which I don;t like for catching feet & cleaning.

The others are similar but the construction on the Kings & the playtop look better than the AE.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
Yea I started thinking the 2 lvl one while its nice he could just walk out just isn't good. I was thinking of trying to make the 2nd time a flat play top as well but leaving the rounded part off and putting a flat piece on but still had problems with the design

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
You could put a boing down from the playtop or wood perches outside the cage as well to help him crawl up to the playtop area.
A full playtop is better than the half & the round dome on the top level is just wasted space espec for a bird with limited mobility.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
Yea. He took a long time to start coming out everyday and right now he doesn't have a space to come out to. Cage is just to heigh to use the top of it as a play area

Attachments

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
The reviews for the third cage that you mentioned are not very great on Amazon.com. The bird is either cramped in the left portion or at the top of the right side.
A larger cage may benefit your bird. Offer treats and favorite toys and perches in areas of the cage that your bird isn't using to tempt them into the area.

I found a few larger cages with playtops from A&E and Prevue, if you are interested (they may be too tall for your ceiling):
Large Dome Top Cage - Black 34531 Prevue Pet Products
Select Bird Cage - Black 3154BLK Prevue Pet Products (Playtop)
Corner Bird Cage w/Playtop Bird Cage - Black 3158BLK Prevue Pet Products (Playtop--This cage is a little small though)
http://www.aecageco.com/Products/Co...k-33-33-72-Large-Corner-Bird-Parrot-Cage.html (Playtop)
http://www.aecageco.com/Products/Play-Top-Cages/8003628-Black-36-28-66-Play-Top-Bird-Cage.html (Playtop)

Is a playtop on the cage essential? You may save yourself a lot of money in the long run if you purchase a separate playstand instead.
Here are a few nice ones:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yea. He took a long time to start coming out everyday and right now he doesn't have a space to come out to. Cage is just to heigh to use the top of it as a play area
Can you put a nice tree java or some sort of play area next to the cage? He's not able to get on top of the cage right now?

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
@camelotshadow
He can get on his cage right now but there's only 11inch of space to the roof. Cage is taller then me. It's a 2 lvl breeder cage. I love the java tree ones but for him it would be a bad idea and may go unused. He rarely uses perches.

I dont really have floor space to put a play stand next to it and it has to be right next to it as he wouldn't let me move it. The play stand also has to be something flater with maybe a perch but I sadly can't use something like the cool dragon wood ones.

@mc_hahns
I dont really have floor space to put a play stand next to it and it has to be right next to it as he wouldn't let me move it. The play stand also has to be something flater with maybe a perch.

I do like this one you linked
Select Bird Cage - Black 3154BLK Prevue Pet Products

I love CC3232 Black - 33''x33''x72'' corner cage for him it would be great if it was like half the height.

8003628 Black - 36"x28"x66" PlayTop Cage
Again very nice but to long a fall in the cage.

My other option is to cut His cage in half and build a stand for it so it sits lower and I can then let him hang out on top of it.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
It sucks as I need a cage with width and length but not height and they just don't make them like that for big birds.

Though the site says the price is more the 2 I posted in the 1st post I can get for $350.

I'm Not overly fond of any of my options. I'd love to build him one but idk where to even start with something like that for panels like that. A rabbit, turtle, quail, pigeon, lizard cage no problem. A bird cage with thick wide bars im lost.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yeah, that cage is limiting. Are you sure the one with the playtop wont be too high . Is that a really low ceiling or tall cage?