• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which Cage?

Fischer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
N/A
Which cage would be better for a single lovebird... Previe Pets Hampton Deluxe Breeder or the A&E Flight cage. (31.75-21-35)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Norm Ustitz

Meeting neighbors
2 cents
Flight = feathers and good and dirt everywhere on your floor. Of course, without flight that still happens, but at a smaller and manageable scale. When our Inky flaps his wings occasionally, everything goes everywhere in his 32 x 18 x 18 cage

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Birds are messy no matter what, but the larger cage is always the better choice. :)

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The best cage is the largest one you can afford and fit in your house.
So long as the one you can afford is large enough to be suitable. Anyone who can’t afford to provide a suitable cage can’t afford to take care of their bird properly.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Flight = feathers and good and dirt everywhere on your floor.
.... And a happy bird.

Less mess means they haven't tossed any food, shredded any toys or flapped around in their cage. Not good.

If the bird cannot flap wings freely in their cage, it is too small.

Like Leih said, birds are messy, cage size is irrelevant to the amount of mess they make.

Invest in a good hoover :)

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
So long as the one you can afford is large enough to be suitable. Anyone who can’t afford to provide a suitable cage can’t afford to take care of their bird properly.
Yes, the cage you provide should be at least the minimum, but bigger is better. (with adequate bar spacing)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
2 cents
Flight = feathers and good and dirt everywhere on your floor. Of course, without flight that still happens, but at a smaller and manageable scale.
The cage should still be big enough for the bird to have some flight, messy or not. As someone else said, birds are messy. That’s part of having them! :heart:

I could see having a smaller cage for a mobility-challenged bird that either wasn’t capable of flight or might have a risk of falling. But for a healthy, mobile bird, definitely flight cage.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The cage should usually still be big enough for the bird to have some flight, messy or not. As someone else said, birds are messy. That’s part of having them! :heart:

I could see having a smaller cage for a mobility-challenged bird that either wasn’t capable of flight or might have a risk of falling. But for a healthy, mobile bird, definitely flight cage.
And most flight cages don't let birds accomplish "true flight." In Kiwi and Blizzard's cage, the best they can get is a "glorified jump" as someone else on the forum called it.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara That’s right, have to have the good vacuum too to suck up all the Birdy-made wood chips and grass pieces! :hilarious: We just bought another Shark vacuum (lighter and more maneuverable than the previous). I know people swear by Dyson, but I really like ours.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And most flight cages don't let birds accomplish "true flight." In Kiwi and Blizzard's cage, the best they can get is a "glorified jump" as someone else on the forum called it.
Exactly, so smaller is really not good. My lovebirds can fly up and do some limited hovering in their cages, but that’s why it’s important that they get out time, too. They get to fly around the birdy room(s) freely every day.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I know people swear by Dyson, but I really like ours.
We got a new Dyson recently, way better than our old one. We also got a knock off roomba, which is very usefull because it can fit under Kiwi and Blizzard's cage to pick up pellets, feathers, and seed hulls that fall down there. I just wish there was an easier way to clean the poops that get on the walls :lol:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I could see having a smaller cage for a mobility-challenged bird that either wasn’t capable of flight or might have a risk of falling.
I had the same cage as Norm for my special needs girly. It was 30x18x18. So even for some special needs/disabled birds, they don't need to be confined to an inadequate cage. I actually ended up moving her into a flight cage, she can't grip parches with one foot but she does great!! I'm so amazed by her! :)

We just bought another Shark vacuum
I've heard good things about shark hoovers but not avail here. I ended up with a bosch athlet. Its cordless, love it.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Exactly, so smaller is really not good. My lovebirds can fly up and do some limited hovering in their cages, but that’s why it’s important that they get out time, too. They get to fly around the birdy room(s) freely every day.
Kiwi loves to fly back and forth between the stand on his cage, and a little cloth tent that my baby sister uses in the family room. He will sit on it and sing to us.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had the same cage as Norm for my special needs girly. It was 30x18x18. So even for some special needs/disabled birds, they don't need to be confined to an inadequate cage. I actually ended up moving her into a flight cage, she can't grip parches with one foot but she does great!! I'm so amazed by her! :)
Oh, I’m not saying inadequate, just a size like your 30x18 instead of the larger flight cages. That’s what I was trying to say in my reply about Norm’s cage.

Snerky loves flying up and down in her cage and a few years ago the groomer accidentally trimmed one of her wings!! I layered suspended grass mats in the middle of the cage to break any falls so she wouldn’t hurt herself. It took forever for those flights to come back in, but the mats kept her safe. So that’s an option as well.

I've heard good things about shark hoovers but not avail here. I ended up with a bosch athlet. Its cordless, love it.
Well as long as the Bosch works well, that’s all that matters!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
just a size like your 30x18 instead of the larger flight cages
Yes exactly. I just wanna put it out there for anyone who reads this and thinks that a disabled bird is better off in a 12x14 or something ridiculous :)

I layered suspended grass mats in the middle of the cage to break any falls so she wouldn’t hurt herself.
That's a great idea!

And yes, it's slim and it works so I'm happy :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!