• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which cage would be a better fit for my sun conure?

Birblover7

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josie
I've always wanted to get her the corner cage as it's large, good quality and just really neat in general. But I'm questioning if maybe I'd be better off getting the other cage.
First off Loli only uses the top half of the cage, no matter the cage (unless her food bowls are low, but she simply goes down to eat, and then quickly returns to usually her "favorite corner". )
My cockatiels have the 2nd cage and Loli just loves it. First chance she gets she flies into their cage. But I think she may still like the corner cage more. Theres no way to tell until I have it, but it's no doubt bigger.
The corner cage is over double the price, and honestly it's not even close to double the size. The bottom cage is 20"x30" about, while the corner cage is 30"x30" but not a full square, so some space is cut off. The corner cage does have a seed guard but frankly I'll probably remove it to save space. She literally full on throws 3/4ths of her food in random directions so there's no preventing a mess anyway. (Atleast not easily)
I'm going to guess that the corner cage is more durable but I can't say so for sure. Loli has never had issues with chewing on bars, even when I had her in a smaller cage with very weak bars for a week on vacation.
I do really want the corner cage, but I'm just not sure it's the smartest decision. If I get the 2nd cage I would also have the extra 200$ instead of 50$ extra to invest in other things like new toys, healthy pellets and replacement perches.
Currently they don't need any toys or perches so it's definitely no rush. I've spent around 80$ on toys for them recently, and they still have over half of them. I also spent 40$ on new perches (I buy them manzanita in bulk and hardware myself) so I'm stocked on perches for a while. My mother buys natural zupreem pellets and bulk seeds that she shares with me so I don't usually have to buy food, but if I want to upgrade their food I'd need to buy it myself.
What do you think, though?

Attachments

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I personally just love the way corner cages look. I think they’re just… I don’t know. Classy looking or something. Unfortunately every person I’ve talked to that has one says they’re an absolute pain in the butt to clean because of the angles, and papering the bottom requires a bit of origami folding.

I still kind of want one, because they’re neat :roflmao: But I can see the problems with them.

I don’t have a conure, but I’ve read that wider/deeper is better than height - so maybe something that’s as big of a box as possible? But I guess it’s also dependent on how much time he spends out of the cage. My cockatoos cage is technically too small for her - but she’s really only in it to sleep. Otherwise she’s out running amok.

Birblover7

Real Name
Josie
these are the best cages I could find while taking into consideration price/size
There are some just a few inches bigger that are insanely more pricey, and most of the cages that are any bigger aren't made for conures, but instead cockatoos, macaws, etc so the bar spacing isn't right for my bird

I also wanted to get a cage cover for the cage I get her since she finds comfort in it (plus it's the only way to get her quiet) but ones for the corner cage just don't exist!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I also wanted to get a cage cover for the cage I get her since she finds comfort in it (plus it's the only way to get her quiet) but ones for the corner cage just don't exist!
I use a bed sheet for Isadora :roflmao: It’s the only way I can keep her asleep (or at least quiet) once the sun rises, otherwise she’s screaming at the break of dawn.

If you have the cage in a room that’s not your bedroom, can you get blackout curtains? That might help if you can’t get a cage cover. Are you in the US?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I like the one on the right. One of mine is probably close to.sane in white.
You will love the flat top.
Corner cages not a fan of

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I personally love my King's corner cage (different from the one you linked, I think). They provide a lot of depth for birds. My grey loves hanging out in the back corner for privacy, but also has the opportunity to hang out in the front if she wants. You don't have these options with rectangular cages.

They are more challenging to clean, because you need to keep two sides free to pull out the drawers to get at the paper. Laying out the paper isn't that hard. It can be hard to install perches and toys in the very back unless you have a second person helping you.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I’d go with the right, like stated corner cages are hard to clean :)

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I love the last cage you posted. Can you please post the link to it? I have a similarly sized cage for my GCC and really like it but it would be even better with the play top featured on the one you posted. If you do pick that one, you will likely find Kraft paper rolls that you can use to easily (cut to) line the bottom. I agree with people posting above that the corner cage is aesthetically cool but I would resent the additional clean up time on a daily basis! Good luck. It’s great that you’re doing this research.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would get the flight case of the last one you posted. I find curved roofs difficult to hang toys and probably wouldn’t use the opening too thing much, but that is personal. It is important that a cage is large enough, your bird is guaranteed to spend a good amount of time in there at least at some point. It needs to give them enough space room to move around, it’s great that you are picking a good home for your sun so seriously:)

Birblover7

Real Name
Josie
This is the cage she’s currently in, I believe it’s like 20”x20”… personally I wouldn’t want anything bigger than a parakeet to live in it. Loli comes out when I get home, but I have to put her away at 8 when my little brother goes to sleep because she keeps him up. So that’s 3 hours out and 21 hours in…
She’s out all day on the weekends, however. C057B39A-0A5D-4178-B849-D2EF9FB4E0D1.jpeg

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
AHHHHH :swoon:

It’s so cute :heart2: thank you so much oh my goodness

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
That's an amazing drawing :xflove:

Birblover7

Real Name
Josie
Every time my mom sells a baby cockatiel I make them an adoption certificate with a drawing of their bird on it so I draw birds often ♥