• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Which cage for green cheek conure?

MeliaxNova

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Melia
I’m looking into getting a green cheek conure pretty soon but I don’t know what cage would be best. I heard flight cages are a good choice but the thing that worries me about the flight cages is the thinness of the bars. I was wondering if GCC’s can break the bars? These are the two cages I have in mind... I’m also open to any suggestions!

Thank you!

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have had the flight cage for a Quaker and for a green cheek. Definitely no issues with them breaking the bars :)

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
We have 4 GCC and as many different type cages, including a flight cage. No one tries breaking the bars. They are too busy being obnoxious little clowns. You are going to fall deeply in love!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If the choices were between those two cages, I would *HIGHLY* recommend the flight cage over the other cage! The smaller cage will easily get over-crowded once you add in toys, perches, dishes, etc... I don't care who says it's a perfect cage for a conure, it's not.

I don't recommend anything smaller than an A&E or HQ flight cage for a small to medium conure. These cages are 32x21x35, not including the base. A&E even has some fancier, larger ones!

The biggest concern with tall cages is that many of the stuff 'down below' ends up getting pooped on or it's wasted space... but if you set the cage up right, it can be a perfect cage!

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I have two of the smaller cages and wish I had gone with the larger cages. Saving for larger cages now!

xoJaxMarie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jacqueline
Thanks for posting this - I too want a Green Cheek Conure (its between a Pineapple or a Turquoise) I currently have 4 budiges (1 regular and 3 English) and they live in the flight cage posted above. We love this cage its SO ROOMY - we even installed a small platform and put a small fountain on the inside - my budgies love to take baths). I LOVE my budgies - one has the personality of a larger bird and i love the interaction. I was told GCC have amazing personalities and although nippy they can totally overcome that snippy behavior.

I really wish the Pet Prevue Hendryx cage came in a DOUBLE or had the ability to become a double cage (horizontally - not vertically). I inspected my current flight cage (Same as photo above) to see if I could double it up and maybe remove the cage bars but its welded... I'd have to cut the bars and i dont want to do that..

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really wish the Pet Prevue Hendryx cage came in a DOUBLE or had the ability to become a double cage (horizontally - not vertically). I inspected my current flight cage (Same as photo above) to see if I could double it up and maybe remove the cage bars but its welded... I'd have to cut the bars and i dont want to do that..
HQ and A&E flight cages come in a double! I haven't price shopped around, but here's the A&E cage (it's listed as Tucker Murphy, but I'm pretty sure they're the same, just rebranded). Baxter Double Flight Bird Cage with Divider

Only problem is the A&E one, once you remove the divider, still has a support bar left over. The HQ model does not have this problem.