• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which cage for 2 ekkies?

Ginaekkie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gina
we are looking for a new cage for our pair that has a divider to give the female especially some of her own space without the male stealing all the toys and food.

Which of these 2 cages would you go with? One is taller/deeper the other is slightly wider/not as deep. Both have the internal removal partition so we they have separate living spaces. Hopefully helps her stress and barbering.

Option 1 Jolanda

3991804A-18D4-44C8-AF41-6CC2AAAFD34A.png
Dimensions excluding collecting edge : 122 wide x 90 deep x 197 cm tall

Option 2 keddoc duplex
6AAC50C2-8100-4CF6-B75E-2E909AAC1581.png
140cm wide x depth: 60cm x Height incl. wheels: 183cm

thanks all!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
we are looking for a new cage for our pair that has a divider to give the female especially some of her own space without the male stealing all the toys and food.
Just so that you know, in eclectus parrots, females have the dominant personality and are known to be more aggressive than the males.

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
As someone with both a male and female ekkie, I would definitely recommend 2 separate cages personally.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If given a choice I will always choose the flattest top I can on a cage- hanging toys or perches and birds being able to utilise that pretty little bump part at the top is near on impossible so in my mind it is a useless waste of space and awkward to work around. Flat top cages will always be my preference but in the case of birds who actually need separating I would also go with two totally separate cages as @Miss Annamarie said.

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
As someone with both a male and female ekkie, I would definitely recommend 2 separate cages personally.
Yes, it is not uncommon for the male can be in "the mood for love" and rather persistent and the female aggressively says "back off, jack" resulting in injury. Eclectus females can be fickle and males can be obnoxious.
I should say this is what the breeder told us. We chose to only have a male based on what she said. Our boy is about all we can handle :)