• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which bird would be a good choice?

CheekyBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
Hi! I'm new to the forums, and I was hoping someone could help.

I'll be getting a bird soon-yay! I can't wait to add a feathered friend to my life. I've been thinking a lot about which bird might be a good choice for me, and researched different types. The species I was thinking about are: green cheek conure, cockatiel, and lovebird. I'm looking for a relatively affectionate bird that wants to cuddle, sit on my shoulder, etc. I am in school, but there will be someone home with the bird most hours of the day. I can handle noise, and the house doesn't share walls with the neighbor's house, but if the bird is relatively quiet, that's a bonus.

Yes, I can have the bird out of the cage for 3+ hours every day :)

I was leaning towards a green cheek, but I've heard mixed opinions on them. Could anyone who has them tell me a bit about what they're like? Or anyone with those other species? I've heard that cockatiels aren't very cuddly, but I think they're awesome birds otherwise.

I'm heading to a bird store on Saturday (they breed their birds responsibly) to check out the birds there, and they have all three. Thank you!
I would definitely suggest a green cheek conure, they aren’t very noisy at all, their sweet, and their bite doesn’t hurt much, they are quite playful and love to chew on things. And their more of a permanent bird as they live for up to 30 years

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I would definitely suggest a green cheek conure, they aren’t very noisy at all, their sweet, and their bite doesn’t hurt much, they are quite playful and love to chew on things. And their more of a permanent bird as they live for up to 30 years
To be fair, cockatiels have lived into their 30's! ;) Although not common, they are around! :)

Birbz

Moving in
Thanks, everyone! I don't believe anyone's mentioned why I don't want a cuddly bird, although I'd love to hear that perspective. Yes, I have planned what I will be doing through the rest of college and the first few jobs I'll have. And I do have the full support of my parents when it comes to vet care, which we're lucky enough to be able to afford.

They all seem like amazing birds. I'm currently feeling like anything could happen tomorrow.

CheekyBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
Thanks, everyone! I don't believe anyone's mentioned why I don't want a cuddly bird, although I'd love to hear that perspective. Yes, I have planned what I will be doing through the rest of college and the first few jobs I'll have. And I do have the full support of my parents when it comes to vet care, which we're lucky enough to be able to afford.

They all seem like amazing birds. I'm currently feeling like anything could happen tomorrow.
Well tell us which bird you end up with!

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam

My two cents about having a cuddly bird is that you have to try to remember that what you interpret as “cuddling” is not necessarily in their nature, except for mating behaviors. Many birds don’t like to cuddle but still love to be around you and with you, so don’t be disheartened if that’s the case. Having a solo bird that does end up overly cuddly with you might have trouble when you’re gone at school all day long, due to it needing attention from you. Independence is good for birds; they need a healthy balance, in my opinion. I’m still new to parrots/birds, but that’s what I’ve learned through research and talking to other bird owners.

I wish you the absolute best of luck with your new feathered friend :heart:

Yabiwheeler

Moving in
I would say cockatiel or green cheek. I have lovebirds a cockatiel a sun conure and use to have. a green cheek. My green cheek was a more one person bird I could pet him but he would only step up for my husband. He wasnt very loud (but I'm use to a sun conure ) but he did make a fair amount of noise and could be heard from the driveway with all the doors closed if he was really mad about something. My cockatiels (have had multiple over my life) always pretty tame most were extremely sweet and just wanted to be held and cuddled all day long my current is very happy just being next to me but not a velcro bird like some can be. My favorite species is cockatiels though they are very sweet there whistles and chirps and little voices are very adorable. All mine were huge toy shredders though while my conures never have been. I do have 2 lovebirds. They love coming out of the cage my Male loves come right up and jumping on my shoulder but they can be very moody but I do love them as well. My go to cuddle bird is my male lovebird though my sun conure is scared of hands and my current cockatiel is more happy being by me but not on me but that is not normal for cockatiels

westvan gal

Meeting neighbors
My Green Cheek girl was super affectionate and would preen my eyebrows, eyelashes and she would also work on the skin on my neck, face and back as well as manicure my toenails, which goes to show how much she could be trusted. She was quiet but playful and loved having the pin feathers on her face preened by me. She would crawl into my hand when I was watching TV. Her feathers were not dusty, like the cockatiels, so allergies were very minimized. She would eat the calcium bisglyconate tablets when she was carrying eggs so she did not become egg bound, although that was somewhat of a concern.

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
I've had 3 Conures in my life and only one of them turned out to be "cuddly" and that is only when she feels like it, lol. Even when she is "cuddling" if I so much as breathe wrong, she bites me good. She is a great bird and very fun, but she nips and she nips hard. I've never had a 'tiel so I can't speak for them at all.