• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which bird is right for me?

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
I've had gerbils in the past, as well as guinea pigs, dogs, fish, and some birds. Birds have by far been the loudest--The budgies can be even louder than a barking Great Dane when they put their minds to it! If your room echoes, consider that factor as well.

Gerbils aren't all that loud. My gerbils would jump from the floor of their cage to the top, hitting their heads on the door all night long. Their wheels squeaked constantly, they were always crunching away at something or other, and they scratched at their toys and bedding. Never in a million years would I compare them with birds, though.

I've also noticed that gerbil poop and pee is messier that that of birds, which is a bonus. Bird poop usually doesn't smell, either.

If you want a quiet, friendly, calm, quiet, and cuddly pet, perhaps a small rodent, as others have mentioned. Guinea pigs, hamsters, and/or fish might be more fitting for your current lifestyle. Do you plan on changing jobs, getting married, having kids, etc. in the future if you haven't already? A messy, demanding, screaming parrot likely isn't going to help.

Please continue to do your research on birds, specifically the ones you mentioned previously. There are so many valuable resources available in today's day and age.

Of course, the final decision is up to you. :D
This was SUPER helpful. I’m sort of deciding against the bird, but it’s the only area in pets I haven’t experienced yet. I have a hamster, gerbils, many fish, lizards, and hermit crabs. I just wish there was another area to explore.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
A bit depressing, but not too loud :)
Omg! That poor thing would be out the door faster than it came in at my house lmao that sound is awful!! Depressing is a very good description.
Tbh a lot of the little birds do a lot of repetitive sounds which seem to bother me more than random bursts of noise making. I think doves and pigeons are the most annoying birds when it comes to bird sounds though- they beat the tiels, budgies and lovies Lol.

Give me a big bird voice any day!

This was SUPER helpful. I’m sort of deciding against the bird, but it’s the only area in pets I haven’t experienced yet. I have a hamster, gerbils, many fish, lizards, and hermit crabs. I just wish there was another area to explore.
Have you considered a chicken as a pet? They can make some of the most awesome little feather buddies when raised well but they do much much bigger poops than the birds you mentioned.

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Haha, well I’m kind of scared to get one now not sure what I will do cuz I love the idea but the noise is just

yea I’m a bit scared of all the noise. Kinda questioning now. It really sucks cuz I want a companion like that and a bird sounds so awesome but the noise might be a deal breaker.
I’m sure most here on the Avenue (I certainly do!) would applaud you doing your research, reading up, AND coming here for input from those who actually live with birds. There are so many wonderful birds in rescues or stuck in bad situations because others didn’t approach things the thoughtful way that you have

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m sure most here on the Avenue (I certainly do!) would applaud you doing your research, reading up, AND coming here for input from those who actually live with birds. There are so many wonderful birds in rescues or stuck in bad situations because others didn’t approach things the thoughtful way that you have
Agreed - MUCH better to find out that birds probably aren't the right companion for you at this stage rather than two weeks after getting them and finding it hard to cope.

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
Agreed - MUCH better to find out that birds probably aren't the right companion for you at this stage rather than two weeks after getting them and finding it hard to cope.
Any suggestions to other pets? I’ve explores most(gerbils, hamster, lizards, turtles, fish, hermit crabs, and obviously dogs/cats). I don’t like insects or arachnids as pets. Any ideas lol

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
Have you considered chinchillas, guinea pigs, ferrets, or hedgehogs? I've known many people that have had them and enjoyed their company.
If you want a creature that flies, you could raise butterflies or ladybugs. Perhaps a bird will be a better possibility in the future.

Edit: I saw that you don't like insects, so ignore those that I mentioned.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love rats as pets. Highly intelligent, affectionate, like company and are happiest in a small group, give them a nice big cage and fun toys and they'll make you laugh every day. Much like parrots, they enjoy foraging for food and working out puzzles so you can have fun developing new activities for them to try. Mine especially enjoyed fishing for peas in a dish of water. Mine would groom under my fingernails and even groom my eyebrows and eyelashes.

They have a short lifespan of 2-3 years. There are some nasty things that they're prone to, so try to find a breeder who breeds for health and temperament.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
AussieBird, your sister's rabbit is one rabbit. As a general statement, yes, bunnies aren't cuddly. It does them a disservice to say otherwise. Everyone gets them hoping they'll be the exception. That's why so many are in rescue.

Anyway, this is derailing the thread. The OP wanted advice about birds... :ycanary:

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
My cockatiel is surprisingly quiet, until I leave the room, and it sounds like a klaxon (this is a cockatiel, I think all macaw owners deserve an award:lol:)
YES. I forgot to mention this. Sunni is NOT OK when I leave the room so he lives upstairs in the main living room. o_O:lol:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
How big is your room? Do you plan to keep all the cages in it.
The bigger animal the bigger the cage needed as in guinea pigs & rabbits etc.
Hamsters & gerbils only have lifespans of around 3 years. Ferrets are hard to keep they are crazy into everything. Rabbits will chew holes in your carpet. You can probably get more satisfaction with a guinea pig than a gerbil. Gerbils are not really cuddly. I had hamsters as a child. You can hold them & pet them. They can be kept in a smaller space & run on there squeaky wheel. Gerbils are more nocturnal & that squeak at night. I used to put cooking oil on it to make it more quiet. Lizards are not cuddly but can be fun to have & watch for there unusual primitiveness. Had a rabbit hutch outside too for a short while. Harder to keep in a room. Have you thought about a fish tank. Fish are quiet except for the filters & water noise but I find that really calming. I think fish are the best. Nice to look at & simple to feed. Deep clean change part water not often unlike the daily mess of birds.

Angel Fish

Gold fish are very intelligent but can get big & need no heat but lots of filtering

Last edited:

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
I love rats as pets. Highly intelligent, affectionate, like company and are happiest in a small group, give them a nice big cage and fun toys and they'll make you laugh every day. Much like parrots, they enjoy foraging for food and working out puzzles so you can have fun developing new activities for them to try. Mine especially enjoyed fishing for peas in a dish of water. Mine would groom under my fingernails and even groom my eyebrows and eyelashes.

They have a short lifespan of 2-3 years. There are some nasty things that they're prone to, so try to find a breeder who breeds for health and temperament.
AussieBird, your sister's rabbit is one rabbit. As a general statement, yes, bunnies aren't cuddly. It does them a disservice to say otherwise. Everyone gets them hoping they'll be the exception. That's why so many are in rescue.

Anyway, this is derailing the thread. The OP wanted advice about birds... :ycanary:
Have you considered chinchillas, guinea pigs, ferrets, or hedgehogs? I've known many people that have had them and enjoyed their company.
If you want a creature that flies, you could raise butterflies or ladybugs. Perhaps a bird will be a better possibility in the future.

Edit: I saw that you don't like insects, so ignore those that I mentioned.
Thank you all for the input!!! I was looking into sugar gliders but that’s besides the point. One last bird thing, i know it’s a no but might as well ask. Is there a bird that’s quiet most the time, like the one person said how their big bird is quiet until it wants attention when they aren’t in the room, but when it does get loud isn’t as loud as a big bird?

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
YES. I forgot to mention this. Sunni is NOT OK when I leave the room so he lives upstairs in the main living room. o_O:lol:
See and in that aspect I’d be fine, because I can shut my door and our house ALWAYS has a TV going and stuff that drowns out stuff like music. I couldn’t imagine a bird be louder than music. So if I knew I’d be getting something like that I’d be all for it, but chances are that won’t happen.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ferrets are not hard to look after. They are a fairly easy pet to keep and very very rewarding

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
Thank you all for the input!!! I was looking into sugar gliders but that’s besides the point. One last bird thing, i know it’s a no but might as well ask. Is there a bird that’s quiet most the time, like the one person said how their big bird is quiet until it wants attention when they aren’t in the room, but when it does get loud isn’t as loud as a big bird?
No bird will be consistently quiet the entire day, and few birds will be consistently vocalizing all day long. Your best bet would probably be some of the smaller parakeets or a cockatiel.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So from another person who has had rats, a gecko, birds of various sizes, cats, dogs, fish, etc....

I won't be getting any more birds :) I value quiet also and am very glad that my current bird gives me some of that, but he's a rarity I have learned lol. I have had quakers, a Hahns, a green cheek, and have family and friends with cockatiels and budgies....

Birds are not for people with noise sensitivities lol. One of my quakers would scream 8+ hours a day and leave me in a panic attack from noise induced anxiety.

Every bird is a gamble. How they act in one home may be different than they act in another. Even Ripley, who I call quiet, is always doing something noisy - chewing, playing, chirping, banging, flapping, dropping stuff....

If he's quiet I am suspicious.

Music for some birds is a challenge that they try to scream over, and you absolutely can hear them over them. I have worn noise cancelling headphones and earplugs and you can still hear them. Their calls are meant to travel MILES.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
See and in that aspect I’d be fine, because I can shut my door and our house ALWAYS has a TV going and stuff that drowns out stuff like music. I couldn’t imagine a bird be louder than music. So if I knew I’d be getting something like that I’d be all for it, but chances are that won’t happen.
Birds flock-call because you're out of sight and they want to know where you are. Having a lot of competing noise is more likely to make them call louder to be heard over the TV, music etc.

Peepers

Strolling the yard
I haven't read all the comments, but I have a Java Sparrow (also known as Java Finch), that I've been very happy with. It's a small bird, doesn't make much noise, easy to care for, can be tamed (mine was hand-fed), and has a great personality. A lot of them are "cuddly" too. I know they are banned in some places, however. They are very popular in Japan, and if you type in 文鳥 on YouTube, you'll see tons of videos. Oh, and they have very small poops. lol

Last edited:

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
I can tell you as someone with a lovebird, they can be really loud. I personally love the noises my lovebird makes but I can see where others might not. My lovie’s calls can be VERY shrill and she sheiks and screams. It’s loud enough to actually hurt my hears but like I said, I’m fine with it but it might not be for you. Zara mentioned the same and also as Shezbug said, small birds equals smaller poops. Also, I just got a green cheek conure and when he calls out it’s not nearly as shrill as my lovie. As far as mess, well, I’m always vacuuming and wiping up poop. When the birds are out they are on hanging play areas destroyed toys and that means mess and poop just follows where ever they go but again all these things don’t really faze me much, they are totally worth it. Honestly, noise and mess come with the territory. I feel like a bugle might be worth looking further into as I don’t think they are gowing to be as loud or messy but there are always exceptions :)

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
As @Shezbug said, it is sad that budgie popularity is down to the fact that they are inexpensive. Too many people consider them inconsequential and fail to provide the sort of environment and care that is needed for them to have a good life...the poor budgies pass away far younger than they need to and the person simply goes out and purchases a “replacement”:sad10:
I agree 100%, no bird of any kind are disposable. They are all living beings with needs and feelings and if we bring them home we must be their guardian angels, for better or worse.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
You will need to link your footage regardless of it being posted to the main forum or a PM.
It doesn't work on this forum? It works on the others that I'm on. Oh well.