• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which bird is right for me?

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
I am here to ask a question that general information has yet to answer, what bird should I get? Just know this is not happening right now but I plan to in the future, hopefully near future. Here’s what I want:

-Smaller bird(I have plenty of cages already of all sizes, just don’t want a big bird.)
-Cheap(Willing to spend money but not too much)
-Fine to handle and interact

Now that’s simple enough. But I have 2 HUGE issues that will probably make 9 out of 10 of you say “Don’t get a bird”. Well I’ve been told that about lots of my current pets and I’ve yet to have a single one I’m displeased with, and yet to have any issues at all. So understand when I say this, don’t think I mean “I don’t want my bird to poop” when I say “I’m scared about the poop mess”. So here’s my issues:

-NOISE: I don’t mind some noise. For example, my 2 gerbils are very hyper, and they will take their food fish, house, and almost anything and throw it around in a metal cage. The gerbils will also chew the bars and the cardboard I give them(which not sure if anyone knows but this is not a quiet activity), and the loudest is picking up the metal bar ramps and dropping them onto their cage bars, which metal hitting metal is loud. But they sleep at night, and, during the day it isn’t constant, it comes in bursts and only happens occasionally, especially when I’m out of my room. This does not bother me. I can live with that, and if it’s more consistent, but less annoying, I can live with it. But I do not want noise all day, non stop, even if it’s singing/chirping. I like some quiet. I also don’t want my ears bleeding from obnoxious squalks(my grandparents have a Sun Conure, and if you don’t know, they are ridiculously loud for that size of bird, sometimes louder than a large sized bird like a parrot). The Sun Conure can be quiet, but can also go through fits of obnoxiousness. I want something not obnoxious, and not constant.

-MESS: Mess from the cage I do not care about as much. My gerbils and hamster throw around substrate, food, and just about anything that can fit in between the bars. Though it’s not terrible, I will sometimes even have some on the floor in front of the cage and surrounding the cage on my dresser. But with birds, everyone knows they poop. I DO NOT WANT POOP ON MY PILLOW!!! The hamster and gerbil poop on me and where ever I have them out, which I’m 100% ok with. But birds can fly, I don’t want poop on my bed. I do not plan on letting it fly freely in my room for hours, and I plan on trying to maybe potty train(not a necessity for which bird I get). But not sure how much of an issue this is, if I’m controlling of where my bird hangs out when it’s out of its cage. This is more of a “tell me how bad it is” than a “I need a bird that’ll only poop on me” if that makes sense. I was told if you don’t let your bird away from you freely and you keep an eye on it and try to keep it on and around you, it’ll mainly only poop on you, and don’t get up to fly around and drop poop bombs on purpose. This I can tolerate.

At the moment, I am looking at these birds: Budgie, Diamond Dove, Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conure, Parrotlet, and Love birds. Any info/input on these birds be great, or, by all means, PLEASE MAKE SUGGESTIONS!!! I love hearing new ideas, I am an open book!

I would love experiences too. Sometimes reading “Budgies are on the quiet side of birds” isn’t exactly helpful. Make some common comparisons, try to help me understand noise levels and stuff like that. I really want to know what I’d be getting into, this is somewhat hypothetical since I am not doing this right this second, but more like sometime soon.

Apologies for the long text, I wanted you to get a feel for how I feel. If anything seems over-exaggerated then it probably was, like I said, I have a tolerance level for some stuff, no animal is perfect. I’ve been told in the past “don’t get this pet”, and I get the pet, and I’m happy. So please just give me the best options. If you wish to advise against it, please do, but at least give me a “best bet” type option. Thank you so much

AzKhaleesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather
I would stay away from green cheeks if you think Sun Conures are loud. Although Suns are "louder" than green cheeks, they're basically the same lol. Cockatiels are bity, and if I may venture to say it, can be a little "dumb" for the bird species. (I have two grand feather babies) one is pretty quick he's already learning to talk and whistle, and the other reminds me of a cartoon character bumping into walls. Parrotlets are smart and suuuper playful but when they bite..... yikes. So be prepared to spend a LOT of time with them. Love birds, same, they are surprisingly loud but not as loud as a Conure. But they demand a lot of time as well or they tend to get cage aggressive (from my experience.) I think if you've never had a bird, start with a parakeet (budgie) but make sure you get them from a reputable breeder and he / she is hand raised. They are super sweet not too loud and I just loved my little Sprite (Fly High baby) as far as mess.... they're birds. I don't mean to be sarcastic but we clean every single day, sweeping up feathers, food, poop. cleaning poop off the couch, cleaning cages, you name it. They're messy but I love them and as the sign says, "Bless this mess" :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You could always put a big blanket you don’t care about over your bed when the bird is out. There is not much else you can do. You can keep moving your bird away from your headboard for instance, but then most likely that will be his favorite spot to sit because that’s how birds are. Another thing birds are is noisy. If you are lucky you will most likely have chirping most of the day, with only maybe a couple thirty minute intervals with no noise when your bird might nap. That’s if you are lucky. Mostly it depends on the individual bird, and there is no way to predict that. Often a noisy bird is a happy bird.

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
I would stay away from green cheeks if you think Sun Conures are loud. Although Suns are "louder" than green cheeks, they're basically the same lol. Cockatiels are bity, and if I may venture to say it, can be a little "dumb" for the bird species. (I have two grand feather babies) one is pretty quick he's already learning to talk and whistle, and the other reminds me of a cartoon character bumping into walls. Parrotlets are smart and suuuper playful but when they bite..... yikes. So be prepared to spend a LOT of time with them. Love birds, same, they are surprisingly loud but not as loud as a Conure. But they demand a lot of time as well or they tend to get cage aggressive (from my experience.) I think if you've never had a bird, start with a parakeet (budgie) but make sure you get them from a reputable breeder and he / she is hand raised. They are super sweet not too loud and I just loved my little Sprite (Fly High baby) as far as mess.... they're birds. I don't mean to be sarcastic but we clean every single day, sweeping up feathers, food, poop. cleaning poop off the couch, cleaning cages, you name it. They're messy but I love them and as the sign says, "Bless this mess" :)
Thank you! This is super helpful. I don’t mind the mess, but how is the poop around the room? If it’s isolated to cage and on me I’m fine, but I don’t want to lay my head down on bird poop when I sleep at night lol.

AzKhaleesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather
Thank you! This is super helpful. I don’t mind the mess, but how is the poop around the room? If it’s isolated to cage and on me I’m fine, but I don’t want to lay my head down on bird poop when I sleep at night lol.
Well if you let them roam there will be poop lol. But nothing a papertowel or sponge can't handle. My washing machine takes care of clothes and blankets and such. lol

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
You could always put a big blanket you don’t care about over your bed when the bird is out. There is not much else you can do. You can keep moving your bird away from your headboard for instance, but then most likely that will be his favorite spot to sit because that’s how birds are. Another thing birds are is noisy. If you are lucky you will most likely have chirping most of the day, with only maybe a couple thirty minute intervals with no noise when your bird might nap. That’s if you are lucky. Mostly it depends on the individual bird, and there is no way to predict that. Often a noisy bird is a happy bird.
Good idea! The noise isn’t terribly bothersome especially if i won’t hear it throughout the house, if it’s left in my room then hopefully I’ll be ok.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Josh :)

To start, a lovebird is not for you. Noisy, shrill shreiks for most of the day. Messy, real messy for such little guys.

Potty training is quite frowned upon for birds, but as Deanna said, a blanket to cover areas helps. I have an old duvet case on this end of my couch to protect it from poops that come flying out of the cage.

Budgies have a quiter noise, but it can go on and on.
Male cockatiels whistle a lot, personally that would drive me mad.... but then most others wouldn´t sit listening to 7 lovebirds shrieking all day long so it really does come down to preference.

It would be cool to visit a bird shelter/rescue, see what you think of the noise. Watching youtube vids may be helpful too :)

Diamond doves I don´t know much about... but maybe they could be the answer... @Destiny ?

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
Welcome to the Avenue Josh :)

To start, a lovebird is not for you. Noisy, shrill shreiks for most of the day. Messy, real messy for such little guys.

Potty training is quite frowned upon for birds, but as Deanna said, a blanket to cover areas helps. I have an old duvet case on this end of my couch to protect it from poops that come flying out of the cage.

Budgies have a quiter noise, but it can go on and on.
Male cockatiels whistle a lot, personally that would drive me mad.... but then most others wouldn´t sit listening to 7 lovebirds shrieking all day long so it really does come down to preference.

It would be cool to visit a bird shelter/rescue, see what you think of the noise. Watching youtube vids may be helpful too :)

Diamond doves I don´t know much about... but maybe they could be the answer... @Destiny ?
Thank you for this! I was really starting to think lovebirds be a good option from what I initially heard. So glad I didn’t do that now! I love diamond doves and I think it would be awesome but apparently they are a little “slow” mentally(aka stupid) and don’t do well with interaction. Then yet I heard they are awesome shoulder birds from someone else. I might run into petsmart sometime and check out the birds even though I’m not sure what feel I’d get for them. But I get other pet supply from there so it be nice and easy. But I’d look to a shelter for my bird once I get it, but chain pet stores are easier for supplies lol

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The poop from smaller birds is seriously no problem, they dry pretty fast and flick cleanly off most surfaces or can easily be picked up with tissue while wet. Please do not think that toilet training a bird for your convenience is a good option- it can be very damaging to the bird.

I like to have a few minutes here and there with silence so I either just go outside for a bit or go visit my large bird in his room to get away from the small bird constant chatter.

As already said... it all comes down to preferences. The noise from the smaller birds (my budgie included) absolutely drives me mad but the deafening screams from my macaw don’t bother me and I do believe I could easily listen to them all day.

Last edited:

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
The poop from smaller birds is seriously no problem, they dry pretty fast and flick cleanly off most surfaces or can easily be picked up with tissue while wet. Please do not think that toilet training a bird for your convenience is a good option- it can be very damaging to the bird.

I like to have a few minutes here and there with silence so I either just go outside for a bit or go visit my large bird in his room to get away from the small bird constant chatter.
Well that’s relieving for the poop, but the bird would be kept in my bedroom so I feel like it become a pain since I like to get on FaceTime and stuff in there.

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm going to be perfectly blunt, birds are messy. They are messy when they eat, poop, bathe, play, etc. I clean up after my budgies every day. But, their poop is small and easy to clean, so I don't consider it much of a problem.
Birds are also loud. They always chirp, and sometimes they shriek and scream. I love listening to my birds, but you might not like that. You have to really think about if you are willing to listen to that every day.
I think out of all the birds you listed (except maybe the dove. I don't know much about them) budgies might be the best for you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was really starting to think lovebirds be a good option from what I initially heard.
If you want to listen to my birds;
Starts with softer peeps and cheeps,
2minutes in, they call louder,
I actually had the mic plugged in so all that sound is quite muted, it´s a bit more shrill and louder, you can hear at 4:36 when I unplug the mic much clearer.
This was them winding down for afternoon naps, and I was sat outside and around the corner.

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
I'm going to be perfectly blunt, birds are messy. They are messy when they eat, poop, bathe, play, etc. I clean up after my budgies every day. But, their poop is small and easy to clean, so I don't consider it much of a problem.
Birds are also loud. They always chirp, and sometimes they shriek and scream. I love listening to my birds, but you might not like that. You have to really think about if you are willing to listen to that every day.
I think out of all the birds you listed (except maybe the dove. I don't know much about them) budgies might be the best for you.
Thank you for the honesty! I have seen a sun conure first hand and other than the poop around the house cuz he is set free a lot, the mess doesn’t bother me. It’s really that noise, which I am going to try and figure out by experience but going to a shelter with 50 birds isn’t helpful to test out the noise of one haha. My gerbils make constant noise like I said, do you think it’s comparable? Like if I had headphones in, would it be noticeable through the mic?

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
If you want to listen to my birds;
Starts with softer peeps and cheeps,
2minutes in, they call louder,
I actually had the mic plugged in so all that sound is quite muted, it´s a bit more shrill and louder, you can hear at 4:36 when I unplug the mic much clearer.
This was them winding down for afternoon naps, and I was sat outside and around the corner.
This was super helpful! If I have a medium sized room I guess it be pretty loud. Do you have anything like this for a budgie?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My son is quite some distance from my budgie (across a huge room and then down the corridor) and he’s in another room with his door closed and people are always asking him what the budgie noise is they can hear through his microphone. Noise, mess, poop, lifestyle changes are all things you can not avoid if you want birds.

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
My son is quite some distance from my budgie (across a huge room and then down the corridor) and he’s in another room with his door closed and people are always asking him what the budgie noise is they can hear through his microphone. Noise, mess, poop, lifestyle changes are all things you can not avoid if you want birds.
Interesting, wonder why they’re so popular in the pet industry. Unless I’m mistaken, they are more popular than dogs! Cant imagine that many people tolerate such a big lifestyle change for a bird. I would but I am short tempered, that’s why I’m scared of the noise because I know I will lose my mind quickly lol

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for the honesty! I have seen a sun conure first hand and other than the poop around the house cuz he is set free a lot, the mess doesn’t bother me. It’s really that noise, which I am going to try and figure out by experience but going to a shelter with 50 birds isn’t helpful to test out the noise of one haha. My gerbils make constant noise like I said, do you think it’s comparable? Like if I had headphones in, would it be noticeable through the mic?
I've never had gerbils, but you have to remember that birds are not just going to make little chirps. If they get upset or excited, they shriek. Loud. You can definitely hear that through a mic.
I can try to get a video of my budgies. I'll have to show it to you in a PM though because I don't have a youtube account.

joshjosh17

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Josh
I've never had gerbils, but you have to remember that birds are not just going to make little chirps. If they get upset or excited, they shriek. Loud. You can definitely hear that through a mic.
I can try to get a video of my budgies. I'll have to show it to you in a PM though because I don't have a youtube account.
That’s fine. What do you want to send it through?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Interesting, wonder why they’re so popular in the pet industry. Unless I’m mistaken, they are more popular than dogs! Cant imagine that many people tolerate such a big lifestyle change for a bird. I would but I am short tempered, that’s why I’m scared of the noise because I know I will lose my mind quickly lol
I’ve been in the area of my house that my budgie is housed in- I opened the curtains for him two and a half hours ago and he hasn’t stopped making noise for longer than a minute at a time. He will chatter non stop for a massive part of the day with a few 20 min quiet sessions, when he sees birds outside, when someone makes any kind of noise the budgie is off again.

They’re popular because they’re cheap and small so easy to obtain and house. It’s sad really