• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which bird is for me?

Quick86

Moving in
Hi everyone, I've been doing lots of research for the past month or so and have decided to take the plunge. I want to make the best decision for both me and my bird. Here are the top breeds I am considering, but I still need lots of help and open to other suggestions based on my wants/needs:

Senegal
Bourkes Parakeet
Green Cheeked Conure
Blue Headed Pionus

The bird has a large aviary outdoors and a large cage indoors ready for him/her.
I'm looking for a calmer, affectionate type that is independent for when I'm at work (8-5). There will be days when I can only spend an hour or so with them. I already have a shower perch as well, so I'm hoping for one that enjoys water and I've read it can be a bonding time. No kids, just my partner and I. We live in the suburbs, and since they will be in the aviary sometimes, I prefer one that is on the less noisy side. I know they can all be loud at times. Talking and tricks are not too important, but icing on the cake. Prefer a less bitey breed. Do any of these breeds sing? Could be a plus. I may add a canary or other finch in the future. Also, if I choose the Senegal, Conure, or Pionus I may add the Bourkes later. So any thoughts on which would get along with a Bourkes would be helpful.

Thank you, I'm glad I found this resource...excited to learn more!

Patrick

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Would you think about a cockatiel? They are relatively quiet (all birds are loud they are just quieter than some).

Some can sing and they are more likely to get along with other species like Rosy Bourkes.

They are very sweet birds and I’m sure if you put the effort in they could learn lots of tricks.

Quick86

Moving in
Would you think about a cockatiel? They are relatively quiet (all birds are loud they are just quieter than some).

Some can sing and they are more likely to get along with other species like Rosy Bourkes.

They are very sweet birds and I’m sure if you put the effort in they could learn lots of tricks.
Thanks! I haven't crossed the Cockatiel off my list yet!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Please consider two. It sounds like your one on one time can be extremely limited. It's so very lonely for a flock animal to have limited time with their flock, which is you.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
I agree I think that for your situation a pair of cockatiels sounds like the best pets for you. Keep in mind that some parrots are stronger at flocking than others.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Welcome! Of the species you have listed, I personally have a conure. He's a black capped conure, but they're very very similar to green cheeks. I also have a lovebird and two linnies and one thing I notice that is different with my conure is that he is more demanding of my time, and he is nippy. He is really cuddly, though. Is your partner home while you are not? Every bird is different, but some definitely need more interaction than others. Is there a rescue near you? A good way to get an idea of what species may be a good fit for you is to go and meet some. And you may meet a bird that you fall in love with, that's happened to lots of us here.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Good luck figuring out which bird will be better suited to your lifestyle :)

Bird Boulevard is a good place to post to talk about multiple species of birds instead of duplicate threads in various other forums and will help keep your replies all in one place.