• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

which bird are hypoallergic and produce less dust.

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
hellow
this is my another post.today my one friend come my house.she saw my birds room.and she interested my birds.she also want to pet bird and made an mini aviary.but her problem she has dustallergy and asthma.but she want pet some birds.so my question which type birds are less dust and allergic and suitable for her.any body have real experince about it? thanks

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Asthma can be different on severity. How bad is she?

All birds produce some dust but the most dusty are old world parrots: African greys, cockatoo and cocktails.

Though if your friends asthma is bad then birds aren't the best for her health.

For example my budgies aren't dusty but the flap and stir up the dust which makes my room dutsy, my Mum then can't breathe (she has mild asthma). So I have to clean and dust everyday and often many baths. As well as use a hepa filter.

Reactions: tka

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Budgies do have some feather dust. I see it on surfaces near their cage.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wouldn´t have thought birds would be a good pet for an asthmatic.
Like previously mentioned, it´s not just the birds producing dust, it´s all the wing flapping.

Maybe finches would be a good choice?

Budgies do have some feather dust. I see it on surfaces near their cage.
I have this with my lovebirds, I think it´s from shredding wood and cardboard, and small particles broken away from food while eating, and when they start flapping it goes everywhere. I like to dust down the cage every day. My asthmatic brother has never stepped foot in my house.

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do remember reading a while back that the best species for allergies would be an Eclectus. However, it's also a catch .22 since they have very specific dietary needs and tend to struggle with plucking. Dander/powder was a concern of mine when I started looking for a parrot and I believe Eclectus was at the top of the list as the best choice followed by some of the New World parrots.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I believe Eclectus was at the top of the list as the best choice followed by some of the New World parrots.
Even at that, your home would have to be spotless, a bird would flap its wings and bring up any small layer of dust that has settled on surfaces.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Even at that, your home would have to be spotless, a bird would flap its wings and bring up any small layer of dust that has settled on surfaces.
Very true, just thought I'd mention a less dusty species, but I agree, birds are dusty

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a New World bird and she's less dusty than an Old World bird, but there's still a lot of dust involved. At the moment she's moulting a little. The new feathers are covered by a keratin sheath to protect them as they grow. When the feather is mature, the keratin flakes off (helped by her or me preening) and that contributes to the dust.

Birds are not good pets if you have asthma or dust allergies. Exposure to dust can make dust allergies and asthma worse because the body learns to fight them which means a greater immune response. I think it would be better for your friend if she could just visit your birds.

Kodigirl210

Sadly I agree. All birds cause dust to one degree of another. And the important thing to remember it may not even be dust she is allergic to. It may be skin cells or dander or the keratin on birds or cats or dogs. However that might be a better alternative - a hairless cat or dog. Or a poodle cross that won’t shed or have a lot of dander. :)

Reactions: tka