• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which Australian Grass 'Keets make the best pets?

JudiNH

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Not to add more confusion to your choice, but have you considered a linnie? (lineolated parakeet) They are sweet, gentle, and quiet (for the most part), and handfed babies like people and are interactive while still fairly independent. They make very nice pets. Might want to look into them as well? :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Having owned budgies and bourkes, I can tell you that they are not that similar at all! Budgies chew a lot, are "friendly" to the point of being annoying (i.e. very 'in your face' kind of attitude), more aggressive, more chattery, more excitable, etc. Bourkes are more laid back and calm. Budgies typically enjoy head scritches, either from other birds or perhaps from humans. Bourkes, generally speaking, don't enjoy them.

I don't think many grass parakeets actually enjoy allo-preening, which might be the reason why they aren't considered to be good 'pets'. The more a parrot enjoys allo-preening (in the wild), the more hands on they are (within captivity). Cockatoos are at the other end of the spectrum. They love it! You can pet them all over and they'd enjoy every moment of it! Most other species at least enjoy head scratches, and some, like conures and macaws, may also enjoy petting in areas other than the head, but usually not so much as a cockatoo. (not to say that it's a good idea to pet anywhere other than the head!)

Reactions: tka

Hedgehog25

Meeting neighbors
Not to add more confusion to your choice, but have you considered a linnie? (lineolated parakeet) They are sweet, gentle, and quiet (for the most part), and handfed babies like people and are interactive while still fairly independent. They make very nice pets. Might want to look into them as well? :)
Thanks for the suggestion. I considered a linnie, but my only reservation has been in regards to their infamous massive poops...... I really would prefer to get a bird that takes, er, less explosive craps. LOL

Hedgehog25

Meeting neighbors
Having owned budgies and bourkes, I can tell you that they are not that similar at all! Budgies chew a lot, are "friendly" to the point of being annoying (i.e. very 'in your face' kind of attitude), more aggressive, more chattery, more excitable, etc. Bourkes are more laid back and calm. Budgies typically enjoy head scritches, either from other birds or perhaps from humans. Bourkes, generally speaking, don't enjoy them.

I don't think many grass parakeets actually enjoy allo-preening, which might be the reason why they aren't considered to be good 'pets'. The more a parrot enjoys allo-preening (in the wild), the more hands on they are (within captivity). Cockatoos are at the other end of the spectrum. They love it! You can pet them all over and they'd enjoy every moment of it! Most other species at least enjoy head scratches, and some, like conures and macaws, may also enjoy petting in areas other than the head, but usually not so much as a cockatoo. (not to say that it's a good idea to pet anywhere other than the head!)
Hmmmm... maybe my budgie was an exception, because he NEVER allowed anyone to scratch/touch his head, or anywhere at all, for that matter. It was always a matter of him flying to you on strictly his terms. Just out of curiosity, how do your Bourke's typically behave when you let them out to fly? Do they ever land on your shoulder, or do they mostly keep to themselves?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I've had several budgies and hardly any really cared for head scratches from me. I meant that budgies would appreciate that kind of behavior far more than most grass parakeets would! Grass keets don't do much allo-preening, if any at all, from what I've seen (and that's speaking with limited experience here with the various grass keets!) However, budgies always love to preen each other!

I only have one bourke and she's not tame. She's more interested in getting into the cockatiels' cage more than anything else! She was parent raised and 5-7 years old when I got her. I never saw any reason to tame her as I enjoyed her (and her family - which have since passed on) just the way she was and is. If she were a hand raised bourke instead, she'd be a lot more friendly, though!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Since you are located in GA, why do'nt you look in FL for your new friend? There are several people here who breed bourkes, and I'm waiting on some scarlet chested from someone near Orlando.

Hedgehog25

Meeting neighbors
Since you are located in GA, why do'nt you look in FL for your new friend? There are several people here who breed bourkes, and I'm waiting on some scarlet chested from someone near Orlando.
Good suggestion! Do you have any recommendations on breeders of Bourke parakeets or Regents/Princess parrots? Regardless of which species I get, I definitely want a vibrant color mutation :)

Hedgehog25

Meeting neighbors
I've had several budgies and hardly any really cared for head scratches from me. I meant that budgies would appreciate that kind of behavior far more than most grass parakeets would! Grass keets don't do much allo-preening, if any at all, from what I've seen (and that's speaking with limited experience here with the various grass keets!) However, budgies always love to preen each other!

I only have one bourke and she's not tame. She's more interested in getting into the cockatiels' cage more than anything else! She was parent raised and 5-7 years old when I got her. I never saw any reason to tame her as I enjoyed her (and her family - which have since passed on) just the way she was and is. If she were a hand raised bourke instead, she'd be a lot more friendly, though!
Well, regardless of which bird I get, I'm definitely going to try and get a handfed one so I can get that extra personality "boost!"

Flossie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Hedgehog, after much deliberation I'm going for a Regent Parrot aka Rock Pebbler. Just waiting and waiting some more for a clutch of eggs so my breeders can hand raise in which I will be able to help so will be having contact before he comes to live with us. I did alot of research, saw and read a couple of people saying they make great starter pets. Wish I had mine so I could give you some firsthand advice, when I do get my Rocky I intend to post heaps of info and videos as there isn't much about them. I will be interested to hear what you do choose. Look up 'Rock Pebbles (Regent Parrot) for beginners' on YouTube this was a deciding factor for me.

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
I reccomend Princess Parrots - biggest clowns out! Fantastic talkers, sweetest personalities, whole lot of fun! Smokie - our male Princess - even rivals our GCC with his antics. I absolutely adore this species. They don't like their feathers touched but Smokie loves a beak rub and wrestles with his feet and makes all sorts of crazy sounds for games! Such an awesome parrot!

Hedgehog25

Meeting neighbors
Hedgehog, after much deliberation I'm going for a Regent Parrot aka Rock Pebbler. Just waiting and waiting some more for a clutch of eggs so my breeders can hand raise in which I will be able to help so will be having contact before he comes to live with us. I did alot of research, saw and read a couple of people saying they make great starter pets. Wish I had mine so I could give you some firsthand advice, when I do get my Rocky I intend to post heaps of info and videos as there isn't much about them. I will be interested to hear what you do choose. Look up 'Rock Pebbles (Regent Parrot) for beginners' on YouTube this was a deciding factor for me.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have actually been trying to decide between a Bourke's Parakeet, Regents Parrot, or Princess of Wales. They all seem like good choices for low-maintenance pet birds, so it's going to be a tough choice.

Hedgehog25

Meeting neighbors
I reccomend Princess Parrots - biggest clowns out! Fantastic talkers, sweetest personalities, whole lot of fun! Smokie - our male Princess - even rivals our GCC with his antics. I absolutely adore this species. They don't like their feathers touched but Smokie loves a beak rub and wrestles with his feet and makes all sorts of crazy sounds for games! Such an awesome parrot!
Yep, that is another one of the species I have been considering! It seems like "blue" Princess Parrots are pretty popular (and are very pretty birds), so I might see if I can find one that has been handfed.

MissingMango

Walking the driveway
POWs are soooo pretty! I have always loved them. I never see them though. I looked for them a while ago, but all I came up with was one breeding pair, and blues. I love their wild color though!

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
Blue is the more common colour but there is also Green (the wild type and possibly my favourite), Lutino (a bit odd, but very bright) and Lime (white). Blue and Green are the most common :) both are just incredible little birds though. I absolutely adore the species.

PrincessBirdAZ

Meeting neighbors
I am curious about the Princess Parrot as well. I LOVE their natural soft pastel color and from what I have read, they sound pretty mellow for a parrot. Coveting them.
Other birds in the running are Love Birds, Cockateils, Bourke's, and on the more interactive end, Green-Cheeked Conures.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
My bourke was parent raised but very calm . I can put my hand in his cage for whatever right next to where he is eating and he just keeps on eating, not scared @ all. He just turned 10 months old and I can't say enough good things about him. When i come to his cage and talk to him, he comes right over by me. I'm hoping to get another Male but I'm holding out for a normal one. I think they are beautiful

TurkeyTalker

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
I own a princess parrot. They are indeed much slower-paced birds lol. However I find their flighty nature and indifference to humans to be a negative personally. I knew they were mostly hands-off but only now do I realize just how much. Mine is very very mellow and slow which makes her easy to care for but she is not keen on being touched. Very different than your typical parrot!