• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where to purchase multiple bird safe baskets

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
So, I've been working on transforming the room that my flock spends most of their time in, into a more interactive bird room for them and little office for myself and I have one wall left that has nothing on it right now for them. I really want to make it into a little basket foraging area by hanging multiple bird safe baskets up and filling them with foraging items and foot toys etc. they have had small tiny baskets from toys I have got them before and absolutley loved them. I just want to be able to find larger baskets that are safe for them. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of material would be the best for them to be made out of and where I could purchase them?

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I’d love to see pics of your birbs room! :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Rekillkos

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Toby Stephens
So, I've been working on transforming the room that my flock spends most of their time in, into a more interactive bird room for them and little office for myself and I have one wall left that has nothing on it right now for them. I really want to make it into a little basket foraging area by hanging multiple bird safe baskets up and filling them with foraging items and foot toys etc. they have had small tiny baskets from toys I have got them before and absolutley loved them. I just want to be able to find larger baskets that are safe for them. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of material would be the best for them to be made out of and where I could purchase them?
If you go to thrift stores theres usually wicker baskets, you'd just have to look for ones that havent been coated with a anything like paint or sealant. I like wicker because the birds can nibble and play with it, you just have to watch and make sure they're not trying to eat the pieces. Anyway- thrift store wicker baskets, and then you can add all sorts of things to make them into foraging toys like non colored tissue paper and paper scraps stuck into the gaps in the wicker, and then treats or favorite toys hidden underneath te paper. My birds love it

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I wouldn’t ever use second hand wicker baskets for my birds because they’re porous.
I had thought about buying some second hand ones for my bird but realised that I know people who spray their baskets with insect repellent, hair spray and I also know of one lady who uses hers to dip her mini plant pots into a tub of fertiliser.

You have no idea what may have been sucked up by the cane/wicker. Best to stick with brand new so you know for sure they’re chemical and mold free.

Rekillkos

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Toby Stephens
Well yes that's a given, if you're handy with wood you could try and weave some yourself out of bird safe woods too. If you look online you can find plastic nesting boxes for larger birds that might be able to be used as an enrichment box of sorts

Last edited: