• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where to get baby Cockatoo

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
From people who really wanted a cockatoo. Got a cockatoo without realizing just how whoppingly big the demands an nd commitment is. They try for a few years. About 5-7 years in this bird changes and takes it to a whole new level. The last straw. The bird is relegated to a dungeon or gotten rid of. Hopefully to a rescue. 80% of cockatoos are given up between 5 and 7 years old.

The only bird I have ever bought was the first one (40 years ago) and that was a mistake. The rest have always just found their way here.
agree, you never know how hard it is till you live with one, volunteering is great but even then you have to multiply it by 100!! i’ve seen way too many birds getting locked in a closet cause they scream or bite :( parrots are naturally not good pets, they have strong bad moods ESPECIALLY toos

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
We got our Umbrella when she was 13yr old. Told by the bird store that one of her older owners had passed, and had to be rehomed.
I've never been bitten so many times by one bird--- UNTIL... I found out what I was doing wrong! -- taking my glasses off ! Read the body language. And be prepared to have an 'eternal baby'! My husband calls her: emotionally incontinent...

She can tell when each of us are having issues... Then, she either voices her disapproval, or comes to us to give us comfort! We love her dearly... and she is a VERY GOOD BIRD!
Always puts a smile on our face when she raises her crest and dances... every time my hubby goes near her cage! And playful! Loves to BANG her toys. And sleeps with the chew rope hanging in her face or against her body. SHE IS A COMMITTMENT!

Lucy Brown

Moving in
How old does a cockatoo have to be to be considered mature enough to be with a new owner?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How old does a cockatoo have to be to be considered mature enough to be with a new owner?
It’s not the cockatoo that needs to be mature. It’s the new owner. You should be a fully grown independent adult who owns a home and can provide a consistent stable environment for this bird. Along with the resources to provide whatever this bird needs. Medical costs. Providing an environment.

The most important thing is to have some experience with large parrots and a basic understanding of their behaviour.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
It’s not the cockatoo that needs to be mature. It’s the new owner. You should be a fully grown independent adult who owns a home and can provide a consistent stable environment for this bird. Along with the resources to provide whatever this bird needs. Medical costs. Providing an environment.

The most important thing is to have some experience with large parrots and a basic understanding of their behaviour.
this is one of the best pieces of advice on this thread, especially since toos live for such a long time.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If you live in Los Angeles, what did you mean by they "wouldn't ship internationally?"

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It’s not the cockatoo that needs to be mature. It’s the new owner.
I believe that the member was trying to ask at what age do cockatoos wean in response to my comment about it not being legal to sell unweaned baby parrots in California.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
Im sorry yes, that is what I meant
about 8 months, but they can go up to a year. if the breeder actually cares they’ll let them wean whenever they want, to help with stress, unfortunately i don’t think i’ve ever seen this happen most weanings especially with the bigger birds are forced. most breeders care about money, and the younger a bird is sold the more expensive it goes for. if you want a baby that’s freshly weaned be sure to question how they practiced the weaning and be prepped for the weaning process to be regressed. maybe if you know breeders you can ask if they have any available breeders who need a home? babies aren’t what they seem lol.

Lucy Brown

Moving in
Thank you! Unfortunately I contacted some organizations, its been a while, and they have still not gotten back to me.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
Thank you! Unfortunately I contacted some organizations, its been a while, and they have still not gotten back to me.
it’ll take a bit! but being patient goes a long way, i’m excited for your new family member!!!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I used to tell prospective buyers [for other varieties of birds-- just to help them realize that different species have DIFFERENT REQUIREMENTS!!! ]... that if they got a Cockatoo... chain themselves to the cage... because they are SO needy!

That might be considered an exaggeration HOWEVER.. THEY ARE BABIES... EMOTIONAL!
You need to think about this... talk to other owners. PLEASE.

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
I would never recommend getting a baby cockatoo they require a lot of attention. Babysitting toddler for eternity :geek:
I adopted my U2 from one guy who was doing a terrible job in taking care of a 9-year-old cockatoo. I’ve seen her change from an aggressive cockatoo to a sweet one. It’s just not fun dealing with her hormones ;)

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
@Muna-- 'toddler for eternity' is SO TRUE! People DON'T realize ... I think they are the 'toddlers' of the Parrot world... Even more so of an commitment than another parrot might be.